Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

SHWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET

Thanks man! Really happy with how she came out and so far the frame quality looks to be great but will need to put it through proper testing soon!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks man! Really happy with how she came out and so far the frame quality looks to be great but will need to put it through proper testing soon!

Go and HAMMER it to up to the block house and down to UCT. That will be proper testing.

You don't have to share but what did the build cost you. Mostly interested in the frame cost and shipping customs etc.

Go and HAMMER it to up to the block house and down to UCT. That will be proper testing.

You don't have to share but what did the build cost you. Mostly interested in the frame cost and shipping customs etc.

it is difficult to say exactly what it cost me because i brought in a bunch of stuff with the frame and negotiated a bit, but in the region of R6000.

i'm actually busy negotiating on a group buy of frames from XMIPlay so I can give you a better costing in a few days and if anybody then wants to piggy-back on my order you can just let me know and i'll be happy to handle it all for you.

The entire build was probably in the region of R40k

Edited by lucmccann

lucmccan

"i'm actually busy negotiating on a group buy of frames from XMIPlay so I can give you a better costing in a few days and if anybody then wants to piggy-back on my order you can just let me know and i'll be happy to handle it all for you."

I will take u up on this, let me know when you confirm the order.

Want a M frame plse.

Edited by Devm10

lucmccan

"i'm actually busy negotiating on a group buy of frames from XMIPlay so I can give you a better costing in a few days and if anybody then wants to piggy-back on my order you can just let me know and i'll be happy to handle it all for you."

I will take u up on this, let me know when you confirm the order.

Want a M frame plse.

You got it bud!

So Alibaba which also owns Aliexpress where a lot of the Chinese carbon frames are advertised/sold as well as on individual suppliers/manufacturers websites is in the process of floating on the New York Stock Exchange.

This can only be a good thing as the webstore and suppliers will have to up their game with regard to quality, delivery and after sales !!... as am sure Alibaba will be looking for investors and ensuring an above board company to comply with NYSE and markets.

Finally Madam Ling-Ling is complete…

I started following this thread from the early beginnings and with the help of some of you as well as the guys over at mtbr forum fell in love with the concept of a Chinese Carbon build.

I got a great deal on a brand new 2012 Momsen SL929 which I used as the base for this build, stripping and selling the unwanted parts off to other hubbers.

The frame I went for was 1 of the first generation IP-256 frames from XMIPlay, Peter’s service was great and no communication issues there. Because I ordered the frame before they started advertising or manufacturing them there was quite a wait but the turn-around time on recent orders has now improved hugely.

Otherwise, after a whole lot of “hub-hunting”, “ebay swindling” and “crc scouring” I had the rest of the parts I wanted.

The LEGEND that is BogusOne did all the custom paint for me on the frame, bars, stem and fork.

attachicon.gifparts.PNG

Because I wanted to go 1x10 without a chainguide I did quite a bit of research around chaindrop and best ways to avoid it. This motivated me to go with the Hope Retainer Ring, has a more defined narrow-wide tooth shape than the Wolftooth or RaceFace chainrings and combined with the ZEE Clutch type derailleur because the ZEE has a shorter cage than the XTR but still capable of the 11-36 range of my cassette…so shouldn’t have any issues there.

My initial plans of a weight-weenie/gravel-racer style build will be pretty attainable just by swopping over to some lighter tyres, can lose around 500g – 700g if I go over to Spez/Geax rubber.

I’ll let you all know how she rides soon enough… ;)

oh...and yes the rear brake cable has now been internally routed and no longer taped to the downtube...

Well done! Real stunner. Did you use eBay UK or USA?

I started following this thread from the early beginnings and with the help of some of you as well as the guys over at mtbr forum fell in love with the concept of a Chinese Carbon build.

I got a great deal on a brand new 2012 Momsen SL929 which I used as the base for this build, stripping and selling the unwanted parts off to other hubbers.

The frame I went for was 1 of the first generation IP-256 frames from XMIPlay, Peter’s service was great and no communication issues there. Because I ordered the frame before they started advertising or manufacturing them there was quite a wait but the turn-around time on recent orders has now improved hugely.

Otherwise, after a whole lot of “hub-hunting”, “ebay swindling” and “crc scouring” I had the rest of the parts I wanted.

The LEGEND that is BogusOne did all the custom paint for me on the frame, bars, stem and fork.

attachicon.gifparts.PNG

Because I wanted to go 1x10 without a chainguide I did quite a bit of research around chaindrop and best ways to avoid it. This motivated me to go with the Hope Retainer Ring, has a more defined narrow-wide tooth shape than the Wolftooth or RaceFace chainrings and combined with the ZEE Clutch type derailleur because the ZEE has a shorter cage than the XTR but still capable of the 11-36 range of my cassette…so shouldn’t have any issues there.

My initial plans of a weight-weenie/gravel-racer style build will be pretty attainable just by swopping over to some lighter tyres, can lose around 500g – 700g if I go over to Spez/Geax rubber.

oh...and yes the rear brake cable has now been internally routed and no longer taped to the downtube...

Wow, so super light weight version frame(totally 9.2kg), i also read many reviews of IP-256-SL on Mtbr.com, it is really a newest and best choice for 2014 29", Peter service very well.

attachicon.gifparts.PNG

Wow, so super light weight version frame(totally 9.2kg), i also read many reviews of IP-256-SL on Mtbr.com, it is really a newest and best choice for 2014 29", Peter service very well.

Pics...

Lovely build, can see you have thoroughly thought over each inch of the build - good going. Enjoy seeing a pure custom build, where the build is not just about 'having a carbon bike' but more about actually wanting to have something unique and custom!

Paint job looks looks brilliant!