Chinese Carbon Thread

Meezo

I built them myself with some final truing assistance from Jason Geldenhuys - it's really simple with a magnet and some magnetic spoke ends - doubt it takes more than 5 minutes extra because of the missing holes.

I've just done Mark's rims and getting the nipples into the spoke holes, although easy, takes a while. I normally lace a standard wheel in 15-20 minutes. The "no-holes" rims took me about 45 min per wheel.

I'll admit that truing and tensioning the wheels was a pleasure, as the rims are laterally very stiff.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just done Mark's rims and getting the nipples into the spoke holes, although easy, takes a while. I normally lace a standard wheel in 15-20 minutes. The "no-holes" rims took me about 45 min per wheel.

I'll admit that truing and tensioning the wheels was a pleasure, as the rims are laterally very stiff.

You need work on the technique.....  :) I found using about 10 little bits of spoke and dropping them all in the rim at the same time is fastest - but is is hard on the fingers to get the spokes into the nipple.

I was a lot slower using 2 spoke bits - most fun is when you take the little piece of spoke out and drop the nipple back into the rim....

You need work on the technique.....  :) I found using about 10 little bits of spoke and dropping them all in the rim at the same time is fastest - but is is hard on the fingers to get the spokes into the nipple.

I was a lot slower using 2 spoke bits - most fun is when you take the little piece of spoke out and drop the nipple back into the rim....

next time add a little bend onto the end of the spokes to relieve the "tough on fingers" issue?

next time add a little bend onto the end of the spokes to relieve the "tough on fingers" issue?

I don't see a good solution to the tough on fingers bit - you have to hold the nipple  and align the spoke to the nipple and then turn the nipple while holding the spoke aligned.

shows how to pull the nipple shrough

shows how to do the rest Edited by V12man

Ah .. I see ... rubber gloves on your hand turning the spokes then

post-5403-0-03753300-1523268160_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hairy

You guys with all these Chinese frames, how do you insure them ?

Normally the insurance what's the frame's serial number and none of these frames have serial numbers ?

Dont know if this was answered, but in my head tube on my Hongfu frame sits my "serial nr".

Can barely see it, but once the flash hits it its all clear.

post-44007-0-05121100-1523281502_thumb.png

So I get lost in all the sites .... has anyone come across a nice 650B trail / am carbon hardtail with 142mm thru axel at all?

Something that rocks a 140mm + fork?

Edited by Hairy

Put something together last night about my build. Will still review the ride and durability.

Great write up, thanks for making the effort to share your bike's story.

Thanks .... it is that 68deg head angle that has me thinking twice ... reach seem's "ok" and a decent seat angle with average chainstay length.

This comparing to my old Spitty frames geo.

I can't see why you need to move away from tjhe spitty....  think for a play bike I would look 65deg as about right...

I can't see why you need to move away from tjhe spitty....  think for a play bike I would look 65deg as about right...

post-5403-0-69509900-1523451208_thumb.jpeg