Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

I must be too slow or too light because the only time my Pike felt too soft was when the air pressure was below that recommended for my weight. I don't expect uber plushness and prefer a firmer fork that rarely uses all of its travel. It never feels uncontrolled or out of its depth and at 1.8kg or so, knocks the socks off a coil fork when its time to ride up hills. In fact I have ridden 3 day stage races on my big bike. Stick that in your 66 and smoke it ;-) 

Which Pike you got, Tim? RCT3? 

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which Pike you got, Tim? RCT3? 

Yes, its the RCT3 but the DPA version, so no tokens. I play around with the LSC a bit - if its very steep, I increase it, - for mellower stuff and climbing I take it back a lot.

Edited by Headshot

It's pretty much the same as how a luftkappe assembly makes the pike so much better and "lyrik like" due to the larger negative air chamber.

And no, it was fine. The 66 is just that much better. It's a coil. It just works.

Maybe it's because I had the RC dual position version, and I just couldn't get it set up to my liking without it either being choppy on the small bumps or just blowing through the travel. I'm a heavy bastard so I needed quite a bit of pressure for it, but it just never felt as good as the 66. My mates normal RC was the same, until he put the luftkappe piston assembly in.

Now his opinion is that his fork "feels like the marzo" and it's a different fork entirely.

Would I have felt the same if it were an RCT3 I was replacing? I don't know. But I didn't have the extra 16k floating around to check that, or to buy a lyrik. I did have the marzo. And bloody hell, if I'm not glad I did it!! I suppose I could have bought the RCT3 assembly and put it in, but then I wouldn't have the towbar or new wheels.

This all worked out very well for me, your pike was one hell of an upgrade from my fox32 ctd evo ... and the wheels from 19mm internal XC wheels on the trance.

Chucked a volume spacer in the air spring, dropped the pressure from 125 psi suggested for my weight to 95 psi and added 5 clicks LSC and it's awesome. Soaks up the bumps and I think I've only bottomed it once.

Then again coming from a 140mm fox32 evo maybe my baseline experience was low haha.

Edited by Rich990

Yes, its the RCT3 but the DPA version, so no tokens. I play around with the LSC a bit - if its very steep, I increase it, - for mellower stuff and climbing I take it back a lot.

yeah, I had the RC dual pos. So maybe it's a function of that. But I know from chatting to people who have inserted the Luftkappe piston head that it turns the pike into a totally different fork... 

This all worked out very well for me, your pike was one hell of an upgrade from my fox32 ctd evo ... and the wheels from 19mm internal XC wheels on the trance.

Chucked a volume spacer in the air spring, dropped the pressure from 125 psi suggested for my weight to 95 psi and added 5 clicks LSC and it's awesome. Soaks up the bumps and I think I've only bottomed it once.

Then again coming from a 140mm fox32 evo maybe my baseline experience was low haha.

Glad to hear it!

yeah, I had the RC dual pos. So maybe it's a function of that. But I know from chatting to people who have inserted the Luftkappe piston head that it turns the pike into a totally different fork... 

Where can one source the Luftkappe piston head locally here in South Africa or must one ship from overseas?

R2200

Locally? From where please?

I'm in the market for a new lid and the Giro Chronicle grey was top of the list but no stock available.

Bloody hell ... all this fuss over a coil marz fork vs the RS pike ..... all I am hearing though is that you guys really need to ride a DVO Diamond and embrace it's glory green awesomeness

over and out.

OBVIAAS!!! DVO Diamond is schweet. But I only embraced the small shiny green bits with the stealth black

Locally? From where please?

I'm in the market for a new lid and the Giro Chronicle grey was top of the list but no stock available.

Bikemob

Has anyone done this conversion with real world feedback.

I'm no where near talented enough to ride my Pike anywhere near it's full capabilities, but I give it a fair whack. I find it extremely well controlled and mated to the front of my Tall Boy and Zesty, I can pretty much plough through anything with a fair amount of confidence that I will be able to control it. 

But .... if I could make it better ,.. that would be awesome !! 

Has anyone done this conversion with real world feedback.

I'm no where near talented enough to ride my Pike anywhere near it's full capabilities, but I give it a fair whack. I find it extremely well controlled and mated to the front of my Tall Boy and Zesty, I can pretty much plough through anything with a fair amount of confidence that I will be able to control it.

But .... if I could make it better ,.. that would be awesome !!

Ask Raydek

Rides with me. In his words, it's a new fork. It "rides like the marzo" and RS have done EXACTLY the same thing in their revision of the pike.

Edited by Myles Mayhew