LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

So I'd like to see if anyone else has experienced the same thing as me.

I've been training water only for many months, and racing endurance events lchf. I've recently been experimenting with racing one day shorter (70km) races on sugar. So far, every time has resulted in cramps. Hamstrings and quads. I've been taking chelated magnesium and calcium for some time now, so I doubt it's a lack of those.

Honestly, I can't say whether sugar has helped my performance or not. I'd have to try race hard in the next one lchf to see the difference.

Anyone else has cramps on sugar after going lchf in normal life and training?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking into account the hype around LCHF and the fact that companies like Dischem now has a whole section on LCHF/ banting friendly products, I Just wonder how long it will take (if ever) companies like USN, Powerbar to start producing LCHF energy bars (fat boms).

As far as I can tell it will do quite well considering the success Dischem had with their LCHF products.

I'm in love with Nature's Choice Macadamia Nut Butter. Bought 50x 410g jars during the R45 Dischem special.

I eat the nut butter as my keto fat staple, 200g/day. Could never do that with Coconut Oil, and the CO costs almost 40% more than the Macadamia butter.

The nut butter is also much easier to eat than unprocessed Macadamias, and it practically costs the same, even less. So you get the best selection of nuts, cleaned and processed to perfection, with no additives apart from sea salt.

I found the Nature's Choice Mac butter to be a bit too runny at first, but I now freeze it and eat it like ice cream. I could not grow tired of the taste, it's like dessert, and it's so naturally sweet I almost feel guilty eating it.

Mac butter has minimal Polyunsaturates with an almost perfect Omega6:Omega3 ratio of 6.2:1. It consists mostly of cardiovascular health promoting Monounsaturates, of which 22% is Omega7, which is used by the US military in diets to reduce suicidal tendencies, improve insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular health.

It is the perfect keto fat. Look to any other nut or seed and the polys and omega6 will become dominant, or fat:carb ratio will become too low.

I eat R23/day worth of Mac butter, delivering 1400 fat calories, which allows me to consume 1g/kg protein at a 80%/20% fat/protein calorie ratio, without having to eat any other fats.

I eat lots of lettuce with my protein to prevent damp heat (TCM concept) from the fatty diet and add fiber to an otherwise streamlined diet.

The problem with keto bars is that if you want a lot of fat in the bar it will become runny and liquid, unless you use crushed nuts, but then you'll miss the proprietary component that can help you corner a market.

When it comes to keto fuel, nothing beats Macadamia butter, at least in my book. It's the ultimate cheat. Mac butter is at least 3x expensive in the US and Australia, it's dirt cheap here in ZA.

I'm in love with Nature's Choice Macadamia Nut Butter. Bought 50x 410g jars during the R45 Dischem special.

I eat the nut butter as my keto fat staple, 200g/day. Could never do that with Coconut Oil, and the CO costs almost 40% more than the Macadamia butter.

The nut butter is also much easier to eat than unprocessed Macadamias, and it practically costs the same, even less. So you get the best selection of nuts, cleaned and processed to perfection, with no additives apart from sea salt.

I found the Nature's Choice Mac butter to be a bit too runny at first, but I now freeze it and eat it like ice cream. I could not grow tired of the taste, it's like dessert, and it's so naturally sweet I almost feel guilty eating it.

Mac butter has minimal Polyunsaturates with an almost perfect Omega6:Omega3 ratio of 6.2:1. It consists mostly of cardiovascular health promoting Monounsaturates, of which 22% is Omega7, which is used by the US military in diets to reduce suicidal tendencies, improve insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular health.

It is the perfect keto fat. Look to any other nut or seed and the polys and omega6 will become dominant, or fat:carb ratio will become too low.

I eat R23/day worth of Mac butter, delivering 1400 fat calories, which allows me to consume 1g/kg protein at a 80%/20% fat/protein calorie ratio, without having to eat any other fats.

I eat lots of lettuce with my protein to prevent damp heat (TCM concept) from the fatty diet and add fiber to an otherwise streamlined diet.

The problem with keto bars is that if you want a lot of fat in the bar it will become runny and liquid, unless you use crushed nuts, but then you'll miss the proprietary component that can help you corner a market.

When it comes to keto fuel, nothing beats Macadamia butter, at least in my book. It's the ultimate cheat. Mac butter is at least 3x expensive in the US and Australia, it's dirt cheap here in ZA.

You sir, are a genius. I just smashed half a frozen jar in my face. Delicious!

Any tips on getting it out the jar more easily?

You sir, are a genius. I just smashed half a frozen jar in my face. Delicious!

Any tips on getting it out the jar more easily?

I'm really glad, it makes a difference eating it when it's more solid.

I just let it sit for 10 minutes after taking it out of the freezer, sometimes, but when I store it in the door of the freezer and it has only been there overnight it is usually the same hardness as icecream. It becomes soft fairly quickly, so just let it sit outside for as much as necessary.

The Lifestyle Macadamia Butter at Dischem has a more solid consistency, and has a very nice delicate flavour balance, better than Nature's Choice, and it's R50 where Nature's Choice is R64 off-special, both are R45 on special.

Macadamia butter stores really well at room temperature, because it has so few Polyunsaturates, which is the fat that turns rancid. So I usually only put a jar in the freezer the night before, and only take it out when eating.

The Omega7 in Mac butter does some really amazing things to the body. It almost acts like a hormone, but in a healthy natural way, preventing fatty liver, improving insulin sensitivity, promoting weight loss, cardiovascular and mental health.

Olive oil as a monounsaturate can also do some of these things, but it has Oleocanthal that makes you sleepy as part of its Ibuprofin-like pain relief capabilities.

I'm really glad, it makes a difference eating it when it's more solid.

I just let it sit for 10 minutes after taking it out of the freezer, sometimes, but when I store it in the door of the freezer and it has only been there overnight it is usually the same hardness as icecream. It becomes soft fairly quickly, so just let it sit outside for as much as necessary.

The Lifestyle Macadamia Butter at Dischem has a more solid consistency, and has a very nice delicate flavour balance, better than Nature's Choice, and it's R50 where Nature's Choice is R64 off-special, both are R45 on special.

Macadamia butter stores really well at room temperature, because it has so few Polyunsaturates, which is the fat that turns rancid. So I usually only put a jar in the freezer the night before, and only take it out when eating.

The Omega7 in Mac butter does some really amazing things to the body. It almost acts like a hormone, but in a healthy natural way, preventing fatty liver, improving insulin sensitivity, promoting weight loss, cardiovascular and mental health.

Olive oil as a monounsaturate can also do some of these things, but it has Oleocanthal that makes you sleepy as part of its Ibuprofin-like pain relief capabilities.

That's it - I'm buying some tomorrow.

Yep - I've been struggling with cramps as well, but I'm also riding harder so I'm sure that's part of it. Magnesium seems to help - I have to take it otherwise i get cramps during everyday life too - normally in my feet of all places.

Prof Noakes backtracks on Dairy... http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/News/Tim-Noakes-backtracks-on-dairy-20141020

No longer all you can eat

Interesting read.  So if you don't eat enough dairy products, you don't get all the essential nutrients.

I follow this thread out of interest, but haven't tried it as majority of the recipes etc that I have seen involve dairy.  I am sadly allergic to dairy products (even the lactose free ones)

What I would be interested to know is if its possible to stick to this diet without eating dairy?

What I would be interested to know is if its possible to stick to this diet without eating dairy?

Yes, quite possible, but does get a little boring after a month or 2 with zero dairy.

Soon it will be moderate dairy, moderate animal fats, moderate carbs and moderate portions?

doubt it. What these guys are finding is what some folk have been saying for a while now ... everyone is different, some can handle more dairy, some can handle more alcohol, some can handle more carbs ... find your own limits and go from there.

Unfortunately Noakes (and every other nutritionalist in the world) is trying to develop a generic diet for the whole population. Not possible IMHO.