LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Today marks 1 month of LCHF. :)

I went to the doctor yesterday because after a week -coincidentally- of starting LCHF, a rash/allergic reaction developed on my neck and I've had it for the last 3 weeks. I gave my parents the benefit of the doubt and told the doc about the change of lifestyle. Instead of ridicule, he simply said; "I hope you're not trying to lose weight." After the opinion of 3 doctors they were able to conclude that it is an allergic reaction to something my skin touched...

So I'm glad to report that my GP is somewhat clued up re LCHF. :)

What does he mean "I hope you're not trying to lose weight."? Simply that you are already skinny?

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What does he mean "I hope you're not trying to lose weight."? Simply that you are already skinny?

Well at 60.5kg and 1.73m, I'm not exactly bulky per sé. ;)

I just finished listening to the Matt Stone podcast on Jimmy Moore's site. I do feel he has some very good points there. I have also read his book on metabolism, "Diet Recovery 2" I have also read Taubes, Volek/Phinney and Noakes etc, and I believe what Matt Stones speaks about, in that the more we study about all this, the less we know.

I feel we tend to get very focused on the tiniest little things, as can be seen here and the old version thread, such as BG spikes and heart rates etc etc. The simple truth is that there is simply not enough long term studies to tell whether any of these LCHF diets are any good for us. Everyone gets a big fright when their numbers are not spot on and start to question every little aspect of their day. Surely this is not a way to live? Surely a sensible, easy to follow way of life is the only sustainable way. We know that starvation (calorie restricted diets) doesn't work. We know low fat is not good when substituted with refined carbs. But to sit every time we take a bite or drink at draw blood samples and test, test, test is not normal or sustainable. (Please note Htone, this is not a dig at you, your case is a bit different being type 2 and all that.) For every study that says that carbs are bad, there are studies that say the exact opposite. What if we wake up one day and realise (studies show) all this LCHF stuff is wrong? We are a bit stuffed then aren't we?

The 1 thing Matt states is that we must not put all carbs in the same category. Refined carbs (sugar, flour etc) are not the same as vegetables and the such. We pretty much know that the refined carbs are the bad ones as can be seen by the various diseases of modern man. The oils we use for cooking are also bad for us. Many cases that Matt has studied can even lead toward the LCHF way making the insulin problems worse in the long run. It may seem good for the short term, but eventually lead to problems in a different way. I think where he is misunderstood is his HED (high everything diet). The theory behind it is to simply break the dieting cycle. Many people simply try this way of eating and that type of diet without success. He is simply wants to break that and then get people to eat healthily.

I like reading both sides of the arguments, as I believe that we like to lean one way or the other and then attempt to convince people that it's the right way.

What a sensible post ! :thumbup:

Some people refuse to read well reasoned other sides of the argument and only look to quote references and articles that agree with their own point of view.

Danny Roddy has a great new post out on FRUCTOSE ! (the poison you know ...)

http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2013/7/23/casualties-of-the-nutritional-dark-ages-part-2-fructose

What a sensible post ! :thumbup:

Some people refuse to read well reasoned other sides of the argument and only look to quote references and articles that agree with their own point of view.

Danny Roddy has a great new post out on FRUCTOSE ! (the poison you know ...)

http://www.dannyrodd...part-2-fructose

I think the way we eat will always be a debate. There are so many blogs and doctors proving (with evidence) that they are right. That might a human drawback (I think it is). we always ALWAYS, want to be right.

My opinion is that you have to give something a go for a reasonable time period. I have seen very good results on LCHF way of eating (Not diet, I don't think diets work). The results are mainly weight loss and energy, I have not taken blood test to check anything. If you have certain illnesses, I think it would be essential to check bloods etc.

I am reading through what Danny Roddy is saying. Again, a lot of good facts with evidence. But have you seen what this guy is eating? Does not look appealing to me at all. But again, if that floats your boat, tickles your fancy, then please give it a real go.

Mark Sisson - Primal Coffee!!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-egg-coffee/#axzz2Zzdybo33

And he uses sugar :w00t:

And there is tombeej asking what is wrong with fruit...!

I might give it a go. I don't normally need the sweet stuff so will probably give the sugar a miss. Might try a squirt of honey if it needs sweetning.

Currently I'm eating scrambled eggs made with a good dose of cream, and drinking a cup of coffee with cream, so am getting my breakfast fat that way.

Well at 60.5kg and 1.73m, I'm not exactly bulky per sé. ;)

That is very good!!Do you know your fat %?I am also 173 and hit 62.5kg just before Ironman this year....but I don't think I can get much leaner than than.Was close to 7% then.

Getting back to the Paleo live today!!

Has been sick a lot during the last 2 Months and when I get sick I eat bad mostly...don't know why but think mostly the motivation takes a dive when I get sick and then I just eat junk!

Don't know why I have been struggling this much but it mostly is sinus problems that make me sick.

I want to do some veggie shakes the next couple of days....not to worried to go to low carbs just want healthy carbs...about 100 grams a day for now and then I will take it down to 70 in a week or 2.

Any suggestions as to some nice veggie and fruit shakes I can make?We just got a juicer so need to try it out!

I was thinking ,Oranges and apple with spinach ,broccoli and carrots maybe?

That is very good!!Do you know your fat %?I am also 173 and hit 62.5kg just before Ironman this year....but I don't think I can get much leaner than than.Was close to 7% then.

A couple of months ago my body fat was 5% and that was when weighing around 61.5kg.

Since on this food plan I've noticed how loose my bibs are getting, seem to be cutting fat on my upper thy. That as well as the "bump" directly below the belly button. (Hmm, too much info?) Anyway I'm nearly down a kilo since I checked body fat...

Questions for the morning, midday yesterday 4 hours after eating I started feeling nauseous. It only lasted for an hour but for that hour I thought I was going to die.

If I google nausea and LCHF I get a lot of info regarding keto-flu and so on, but only in the first week of starting LCHF. Nothing further down the line beyond the first week. Have any of you experienced the same?

I'm having terribly dry skin. It's probably just the dry winter weather, but I can't remember ever experiencing it this bad.

I don't have the fatshake each day (maybe every 2-3 days) with 25g butter, 25g olive oil, tbspoon olive oil, tbspoon avo oil, 100ml cream, nomu and a bit of water. I have tuna about every 3rd day. No other omega 3 supplements.

Do I need to take in more Omega fats?

I take 2 1000mg omega 3 tablets daily and eat fish (salmon, sardines or tuna) at least 4 meals a week.

EDIT: tuna is a very lean meat, so it isn't a very good source of omega 3's. Rather opt for sardines, I remove the spines though because hate the texture of soft bones.

Edited by Helpmytrap

I take 2 1000mg omega 3 tablets daily and eat fish (salmon, sardines or tuna) at least 4 meals a week.

EDIT: tuna is a very lean meat, so it isn't a very good source of omega 3's. Rather opt for sardines, I remove the spines though because hate the texture of soft bones.

Could not agree more - been doing it since I was a kid

Edited by Wet Ears

What type of Sardines do you buy? The one in the can?

How do you prepare it?

What type of Sardines do you buy? The one in the can?

How do you prepare it?

The problem with many canned sardines & tuna is that they're drenched in vegetable oil - the cheap and nasty stuff packed full of Omega 6 PUFAs.

Rather go to your local fishmonger and buy whole mackerel or pilchards/sardines. Take them home and fry them up in butter (or whatever way you choose) and serve like that. At least you know you're eating the good stuff without any of the bad stuff.