LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

If fat loss is the plan, then you ideally need to be exercising at a aerobic (as opposed to anaerobic) level. This is roughly at a heart rate of 180-your age (as per maffetone's formula). If you have been severely carb restricted and are well fat adapted, or have done an RER test to get absolute values, then your aerobic threshold may be a bit higher, but 180-age is a good estimate to enable fat metabolism.

No food before riding, water only on the ride and a balanced amount of fat (80%) and protein (20%) afterwards should give you your best fat burning response.

Translation??

I must do shorter distance at higher speed. Say 50km in 2 hours or max 75 in 3 hours if I can on no fuel and then do a high fat low protein intake as described above.

My wife will agree with this one as I wont be out 6 hours come Saturday.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Translation??

I must do shorter distance at higher speed. Say 50km in 2 hours or max 75 in 3 hours if I can on no fuel and then do a high fat low protein intake as described above.

For fat loss go ride far at a slow pace

Translation??

No - I think Dale is saying that you must ride very easy for longer. 75km under 3h is likely to be way too fast - especially if you are on a MTB.

Your mother ran very well at Comrades on LCHF because she spent the majority of the run at a low to moderate hr (sub threshold intensity). That is ideal for someone on LCHF.

The dynamics of riding - rather 'racing' a bicycle is much more glycolitic. (Requires glycogen {carbs} for those climbs where we ride at or above threshold just to make it to the top or to try and stick with the bunch)

Translation??

JC and Boesman have it right ... ride long and slow on water only. Longer is better, faster is worse.

No matter the length of the ride, if you want to burn fat you need to keep your heart rate in the zone 180-age to 170-age. Example for a 30year old that's 180-30 and 170-30, so your training range for heart rate is 140 to 150.

Anything more than 150 and your fat metabolism switches off (ok, it more a sliding scale than on/off, but you get the idea.)

Edited by DaleE

Ok Thanks then I was in line to want to do a long distance ride tomorrow. Almost changed that... misinterpretation..

Ok how low carb is Castle Light anyway. The bottle lable reads almost no carbs per bottle. Alchol is no good I know but I am no robot. These days even 3 gives me a buzz so no need to overdo it.

Hi, please help. I have and am busy reading everything I possibly can find on this topic. I have been #lchf for more than a year, but lost my way a little while ago. After a bout of severe bronchitis, I decided I was going to try and get into ketosis. I dont have any way of measuring whether I have reached ketosis or not (strict VERY LOW carb for nearly 2 weeks now), but I have all the possible side effects... dizziness, headache, training taken a bit of a back step (no probs), a little hungry, bad breathe etc etc etc.

I cannot find a concrete answer anywhere as to +- how long the side effects will last?? Also, is there a more cost effective way of measuring ketones other than ketostix, which are so expensive??

Dizziness and headache are due to lack of salt, you need to top up, I eat 1/2 teaspoon salt in the morning.

I think the ketostix are the cheapest.

The long ride went down like a dream. I had my first BPC just before the ride an 30 mns in the ride I knew this ride was going to go down nicely. As indicated in previous posts I only refueled with landjages and kaiings, nut mix (nuts, dried mixed berries, crushed almonds and coconut flakes) and about 2 L of water. I have to mention that I had to start of the morning with a rehidrat. I did 110 km and managed to set a PR in the last 5 km on a 1.5 km segment. I'f my wife was not already fuming with me being late for an appointment I'd go another 20km. My previous 100 + ride I had cramps from the 80km mark no thanks to a regiment of gels and carb mix in the bottle.

Hi, please help. I have and am busy reading everything I possibly can find on this topic. I have been #lchf for more than a year, but lost my way a little while ago. After a bout of severe bronchitis, I decided I was going to try and get into ketosis. I dont have any way of measuring whether I have reached ketosis or not (strict VERY LOW carb for nearly 2 weeks now), but I have all the possible side effects... dizziness, headache, training taken a bit of a back step (no probs), a little hungry, bad breathe etc etc etc.

I cannot find a concrete answer anywhere as to +- how long the side effects will last?? Also, is there a more cost effective way of measuring ketones other than ketostix, which are so expensive??

Hi Tracy. Welcome to this thread.

Most of the answers you are looking for are in the "Art and science of low carb living" by Phinney and Volak. If you have not read it, I suggest you do.

Here's my 2c worth on your experiences ....

The dizziness, etc usually lasts 1-2 weeks, but as Dean said, you MUST increase your salt intake. Also, potassium can be a cause. There is no concrete answer for leto adaptation time, everyone is different.

Bad breath - I believe this is caused by too much lean protein. When going low carb its really easy to just up the protein content to compensate. I believe this is a mistake. Try to get more of your daily food from veggies, salads and add some olive oil or butter. And when you do have protein, look for bits with fat on, not fillet or lean mince.

Constipation usually goes together with bad breath - same issue as above.

For measuring ketones, there are 3 methods:

1. urine sticks - about R120 for 50 sticks iirc. They measure acetoacetate so are only useful for the first 3-4 weeks while you body is adapting. They will also show ketones after this period if you continue to eat MCT/Coconut oil.

2. Blood sticks - http://www.abbottdiabetescare.co.uk/your-products/other-meters/freestyle-optium

R20 per stick!!! You buy a small meter made by Abbott health care and take a finger prick blood samle to get a reading. This measures beta-hydroxybuterate which is the ketone in the blood. this is the gold standard of measurement at the moment but expensive.

These meters also measure glucose - like diabetics do each day. There is a reasonably good, but not perfect, correlation between glucose and ketones so you may find it cheaper just to measure glucose as a proxy for ketones. glucose strips are R2 each.

3. breath meters. you can order a breath meters from http://www.ketonix.com +-R1200 delivered to SA. I have one of the earlier ones and it has limitations but will give a reasonable reading when compared to the blood readings.

Lastly, you may want to rethink the whole idea of measuring ketones. What advantage is it going to give you? After 2 weeks strict LCHF, you will probably find that you have ketones in both your blood and urine, but if there is still dizziness, it may just meant that your body s not using them efficiently yet - this is what takes 2-3 weeks. Persevere with your diet and tweak it so that the hunger, halitosis, etc go away and then see what happens to your weight (if that is the goal) or blood markers, or any other measurement you like.

The bad breath is called 'keto breath'. Linked to 'keto urine '. It’s all part of being deep in ketosis, and nothing to do with traditional 'bad breath'.

When you are burning ketones, one type of ketone - called acetone - tends to be excreted, both in the urine and the breath. This is the 'bad smell' coming from your breath and your urine.

Ok how low carb is Castle Light anyway. The bottle lable reads almost no carbs per bottle. Alchol is no good I know but I am no robot. These days even 3 gives me a buzz so no need to overdo it.

About that diet-Castle you were asking about:

2g Carbs of which 1.8g Suger per 340ml bottle.

421kJoules per bottle.

I think you may drink it if you feel like having a beer. I'll just have a Milk Stout on a Saturday evening ;-)).

421kJoules per bottle.

I think you may drink it if you feel like having a beer. I'll just have a Milk Stout on a Saturday evening ;-)).

So for the drinkers on this thread...

You can have 12 Castle Lights on a day the Springboks are playing and still be way below a 50g daily carb limit... as long as you stick to meat only at the braai and leave all the other carbs off the plate... and have a designated driver to drive you home!

Compare that to 14g carbs in a Windhoek Lager. Just 4 beers and you've probably hit your carb cap for the day....

[2.5 years since I dropped booze from my life, and loving it]

421kJoules per bottle.

Nice!! Yes I read the label but was not convinced that it was good for the diet. This is a great alternative to whine which use to be my staple. It seems that beer then is better than cold drinks. Luckily I am so motivated to go cycle in the mornings that I rarely dare to overindulge these days. But it does happen.

Nice!! Yes I read the label but was not convinced that it was good for the diet. This is a great alternative to whine which use to be my staple. It seems that beer then is better than cold drinks. Luckily I am so motivated to go cycle in the mornings that I rarely dare to overindulge these days. But it does happen.

yes whine is a staple of lots of hubbers :whistling:

Hi there,

I thought I'd share my experience, and possibly mistake from Saturday morning. We planned for a 100km ride over breedts.... I was really excited. I'm about 2 weeks in to very strict low carb, and high fat. On Saturday morning, I had a fat shake from breakfast, and nothing else. I packed some emergency food (Droewors, salami sticks, bananas, macadamias, dried cranberries, even a bottle of 32GI).

Oh boy. At 45km I had a wave of nausea and dizziness and the feeling of impending bad stomach. I had to stop and get off the bike. I hadn't felt different before then, and had been mainly drinking water, with a few sticks of Salami until then.

I ate the banana which made me feel better, and then we continued cycling. Afterwards, I started to take sips of 32GI because I was feeling very flat. I'm pretty sure this was a little bit of bonk surfing..

Anyway, turns out I forgot to add salt to the fat shake. Could this have had a negative impact?

I seemed to get a big second wind after about 70km, and finished strongly.

Maybe too much fat for me in the morning so early on?

Either way, I have persevered and am riding daily on water only. Not really feeling any reduction in power for now, and in fact beating many of my previous bests for training rides. I think I'll still keep taking carbs on the bike for big rides and races, but I suppose how much I actually eat is to be seen.

Hi there,

I thought I'd share my experience, and possibly mistake from Saturday morning. We planned for a 100km ride over breedts.... I was really excited. I'm about 2 weeks in to very strict low carb, and high fat. On Saturday morning, I had a fat shake from breakfast, and nothing else. I packed some emergency food (Droewors, salami sticks, bananas, macadamias, dried cranberries, even a bottle of 32GI).

Oh boy. At 45km I had a wave of nausea and dizziness and the feeling of impending bad stomach. I had to stop and get off the bike. I hadn't felt different before then, and had been mainly drinking water, with a few sticks of Salami until then.

I ate the banana which made me feel better, and then we continued cycling. Afterwards, I started to take sips of 32GI because I was feeling very flat. I'm pretty sure this was a little bit of bonk surfing..

Anyway, turns out I forgot to add salt to the fat shake. Could this have had a negative impact?

I seemed to get a big second wind after about 70km, and finished strongly.

Maybe too much fat for me in the morning so early on?

Either way, I have persevered and am riding daily on water only. Not really feeling any reduction in power for now, and in fact beating many of my previous bests for training rides. I think I'll still keep taking carbs on the bike for big rides and races, but I suppose how much I actually eat is to be seen.

I would say you're eating too much. My guess is that the second wind comes from the banana and 32GI. Your body has enough fat to fuel you for plenty kms so you don't need to keep eating, especially protein.