LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Just another +1 here for www.Melfort.co.za

Great product line. I have bought their Beef Tallow, Lamb Tallow, Lard and Duck fat. Awesome stuff!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the reply

Thats what i thought, but i have heard about pro teams using the LCHF approach to race better and lower there body fats.

I'm 19 and see my other team mates/friends eating junk food/coke all day long. I only eat whole foods\ salads and have never touched a fizzy drink in years, but i still weight much more than them. I don't eat gluten which helps a lot.

LCHF is defiantly the way to go, but a drop in performance for 4- 8 weeks is not something i want to experience again.

Once you are fat adapted are you able to race at high intensities or is LCHF better for more endurance events ?

At your age your body is going to change. Drastically. When I matriculated I was weighing 79 kgs mid year. Training was in the region of 20 hours per week (rowing). A year later I was 93kgs and still under 10percent body fat.

And with the amount of training you're doing your food intake will have little effect on your weight. How tall are you?

Another thing I understand from LCHF (limited knowledge here though) is that you actually eat alot more calories than your body takes on. Ie your body finds a comfort zone and if you eat 5000 calories and it only needs 4000, then a large majority passes through. But your body takes on enough to stay comfortable. My feeling is that if you want to push your body into an "uncomfortably low" body composition then LCHF may need to be paired with calorie limitation.

I could be completely wrong though.

I've been reading about lchf like a mad man recently, and there is one thing that keeps coming up. All those headaches, dizziness, that horrible fatigue during exercise, constipation.... All could be a lack of sodium. Insulin also makes your kidneys retain sodium. Without so much of it, you excrete it much more efficiently. Which means you need to replace it.

At your age your body is going to change. Drastically. When I matriculated I was weighing 79 kgs mid year. Training was in the region of 20 hours per week (rowing). A year later I was 93kgs and still under 10percent body fat.

And with the amount of training you're doing your food intake will have little effect on your weight. How tall are you?

Another thing I understand from LCHF (limited knowledge here though) is that you actually eat alot more calories than your body takes on. Ie your body finds a comfort zone and if you eat 5000 calories and it only needs 4000, then a large majority passes through. But your body takes on enough to stay comfortable. My feeling is that if you want to push your body into an "uncomfortably low" body composition then LCHF may need to be paired with calorie limitation.

I could be completely wrong though.

Regarding calories : LCHF proponents say that you can eat as much as you like of anything (within our food lists of course). 

However, I think this depends from person to person and how disciplined you are or how well your head knows  your body.  Because I don't know when to stop or when i am actually full  (eg 10 macadamia nuts instead of a packet!!! or a bowl of yoghurt with macadamia nut butter and NOT the whole 1kg tub), I still have to track what I eat (Myfitnesspal).  Having said that, I am very seldom hungry.  But when I am hungry - I still need a guide as to how much I should be eating 

Also remember, you cannot maintain or lose weight if you are eating more than you are expending... that will always remain true.  I find it helpful to work out my BMR and then track my exercise.  This way I know when to create a deficit or consume what I expend... not as complicated as it sounds.

Hi there

I have started on this LCHF lifestyle 2 weeks ago (after I did the 3Mountains stage race). weighed about 135kgs, now down to 130kgs.

I have drawn bloods about a week ago (after I have been on the LCHF for about a week). As expected, total cholesterol is raised to 5.5 (I know it is actually a pot stront), but HDL is within normal range and LDL is on upper end of normal range (same it was 2 years ago). Trigs are at lower end of normal range, and I am happy for that.

I got the past weekend (after 10 days of LCHF) on the bike (had a bit of a rest after 3Mountains and then a cold), legs felt sluggish and could not cycle up hills.

However, just took water this morning on my training (2nd time on bike after LCHF), and decided I wanted to do some hills. First one was bit bad (opening of the legs), but thereafter, I had massive energy and endurance. I felt as if I have a lot more strength going uphill. Normally I would have bonked hard after such a session, and truth be told, I waited for it, but it never came.

So this morning, I did a quick 24km ride on my MTB (with 250m elevation, it is not much, I know) at 24km/h average. Just a month ago, I know that that would not have been possible.

So what I want to say, I know my body is getting fat adapted. I track my meals on fitnesspal (Fat is about 75%, protein is about 15-20% and Carbs about 10% the past week), and I feel that I am getting stronger on the bike.

Cant wait to see where I am in 8 week's time. For me the weightloss is an added benefit, it is the health plus points that appeal to me.

Thanks for this great thread, much appreciated.

Hi there

I have started on this LCHF lifestyle 2 weeks ago (after I did the 3Mountains stage race). weighed about 135kgs, now down to 130kgs.

I have drawn bloods about a week ago (after I have been on the LCHF for about a week). As expected, total cholesterol is raised to 5.5 (I know it is actually a pot stront), but HDL is within normal range and LDL is on upper end of normal range (same it was 2 years ago). Trigs are at lower end of normal range, and I am happy for that.

I got the past weekend (after 10 days of LCHF) on the bike (had a bit of a rest after 3Mountains and then a cold), legs felt sluggish and could not cycle up hills.

However, just took water this morning on my training (2nd time on bike after LCHF), and decided I wanted to do some hills. First one was bit bad (opening of the legs), but thereafter, I had massive energy and endurance. I felt as if I have a lot more strength going uphill. Normally I would have bonked hard after such a session, and truth be told, I waited for it, but it never came.

So this morning, I did a quick 24km ride on my MTB (with 250m elevation, it is not much, I know) at 24km/h average. Just a month ago, I know that that would not have been possible.

So what I want to say, I know my body is getting fat adapted. I track my meals on fitnesspal (Fat is about 75%, protein is about 15-20% and Carbs about 10% the past week), and I feel that I am getting stronger on the bike.

Cant wait to see where I am in 8 week's time. For me the weightloss is an added benefit, it is the health plus points that appeal to me.

That's a great start FHB. Keep at it!

Hi there

I am now 3.5 weeks on LCHF and lost almost 10 KG's so far. I expierenced the same thing as you regarding my powers. Banting is to my powers what kryptonite is to superman (lol)

Although I feel a bit better and increased my distance every week, I still can feel that I don't have the power I used to have. However I rode 72.5 this weekend with only water, where in the past I would consume at least 300 ml energy drink and had oats pre-ride. I rode in a fasted state- I just take a bullet-proof coffee pre ride. I do take it relaxed at 24 km/h average where it used to be 29km/h on the same route before the Argus.

The last 2.5 km of my ride is a nice uphill which I always use to test myself. This past weekend I did my best ever.

Now the question is- is it because I'm stronger (which I know I'm not-yet), or is it due to the weight loss. 10 kg makes a moer of a difference when going uphill.

When I do interval training during the week, I still struggle to maintain the intensity I used to maintain before the Argus. I'm not bothered to much about it sine I understand it can between 2 to 6 months for your body to adapt 100%. I bant more for the weight loss.

I know this was discussed in this thread somewhere. What is the correct amount of protein to consume per kg of body weight when on LCHF?

Hi guys

Need some advice : ) I have been banting strictly for around 10 weeks now. I have lost 9 kg with +- another 10Kg to lose. I have hit a brick wall. I lose a kg then gain a kg. This has been happening for the past 3 weeks... I'm not getting in any hidden carbs and I don't cheat. I probably get in slightly too much protein but that's a wild guess. I have been in ketosis for the last 8 weeks.

Should I just be patient ? It's tough to get such great results and then things just grind to a halt out of no where.

I know this was discussed in this thread somewhere. What is the correct amount of protein to consume per kg of body weight when on LCHF?

http://www.mydreamshape.com/keto-calculator/<- there is a fancy ratio to work it out...

Personally, I try limit Protein to 15%, Fat to 80%, and Carbs to 5%. Since doing so, and deliberately supplementing sodium, I'm performing better than I ever have. Like the attached. This in fasted state:

post-48219-0-81490500-1428498262_thumb.jpg

Max of 1.5g/kg

Hi guys

Need some advice : ) I have been banting strictly for around 10 weeks now. I have lost 9 kg with +- another 10Kg to lose. I have hit a brick wall. I lose a kg then gain a kg. This has been happening for the past 3 weeks... I'm not getting in any hidden carbs and I don't cheat. I probably get in slightly too much protein but that's a wild guess. I have been in ketosis for the last 8 weeks.

Should I just be patient ? It's tough to get such great results and then things just grind to a halt out of no where.

Sometimes it is better to introduce some carbs again for a short period, then go on the LCHF again. This kickstarts again the process and you break through the wall.

Hi guys, I want to try and make some fat bombs.  Where can I source the unsweetened cocoa powder from?  any other suggestions welcome.  thx

Hi guys, I want to try and make some fat bombs.  Where can I source the unsweetened cocoa powder from?  any other suggestions welcome.  thx

For me, I just go to the baking isle in the supermarket and buy the big packet of cocoa powder people use for baking. Cheapest source by far. Pure cocoa too - no fancy added ingredients.

Sometimes it is better to introduce some carbs again for a short period, then go on the LCHF again. This kickstarts again the process and you break through the wall.

Mmmmm.... Maybe I should try that. I'm not keen on the effects I get from carbs. I don't have time for headaches and mood swings : ) I wouldn't mind a nice gourmet burger and chips : () Not sure I should release the beast.