LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

What yoghurts do you guys use? And where do you buy them?

Woolies sell double cream. Spar also have a double cream home brand and Dairybell make as well.

All the above are Greek yoghurt. and can get the latter at Spar.

Also PnP.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22968891

JAMA. 2012 Sep 12;308(10):1024-33. doi: 10.1001/2012.jama.11374.

Association between omega-3 fatty acid supplementation and risk of major cardiovascular disease events: a systematic review and meta-analysis.

Rizos EC, Ntzani EE, Bika E, Kostapanos MS, Elisaf MS.

Source

Lipid Disorders Clinic, Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital of Ioannina, Ioannina, Greece

CONCLUSION:

Overall, omega-3 PUFA supplementation was not associated with a lower risk of all-cause mortality, cardiac death, sudden death, myocardial infarction, or stroke based on relative and absolute measures of association.

Feedback on Experience:

Background:

• High Volume with intensity over period of 4-5 months
  • Eating: LCHF: aim was to keep carbs< 70g per day.
  • No immediate eating after morning workout.
  • Food after workout, mostly protein and fats.
  • Water on training rides and food for long rides nuts and droewors.
  • Raced Crater cruise on water/bananas/peptopro and one GU
  • No carbs before long training ride. Not even after.

Experiences:

• Hard rides and race: possible up to 80% of max, even up to 85% of max. This number is higher than previously. Higher intensity than that not sustainable for me.
  • Legs sometimes felt tired, lack of power.
  • In hindsight I was/am glycogen depleted on more occasion than was aware of.
  • Not hungry immediately after race/long ride.
  • Started feeling tired during the day also--- not good.
  • Immune system seems ok, wife was sick, no flue or any other kind of infection.
  • BG very stable.
  • Started eating oats/egg in morning after workout the last few days.
  • My weight did not drop at all. I think I was not eating enough.

Interpretation:

• Must not eat to little. Eat more when hungry.Slipped on that.
  • It is easy to over eat on LARGE pizza or 2, not so easy with fatty lamb ribs.
  • To eat LCHF: the aim is to preserve glycogen stores as far as possible.. What does that mean? I missed that point. Thus::: Use carbs more clever. Especially the good carbs.

Any comments/suggestions well come...

Guys,

Is lamb a better source of protein/ fat compared to beef and chicken. I am asking specifically to the fact that beef and chicken is mostly feedlot (grain) fed and most sheep I see is free roaming, meaning they eat mostly grass??.

Would love some feedback.

Regards

• It is easy to over eat on LARGE pizza or 2, not so easy with fatty lamb ribs.

Any comments/suggestions well come...

Roux1, have you tried overeating on the LCHF pizza? Impossible. I eat 2-3 slices of a medium sized one and full as can be. 0g carbs!!!

krouxsa, thanks for reminding me to try another LCHF pizza!

I use a macadamia meal with egg for a base. Needs some work, but it's a start.

I use the 2 eggs, 200g cheese as the base. Works fantastic!

Definitely need to be on the menu tonight!

Happy to report that my IBS has passed and I can drink milk again.

Guys,

Is lamb a better source of protein/ fat compared to beef and chicken. I am asking specifically to the fact that beef

and chicken is mostly feedlot (grain) fed and most sheep I see is free roaming, meaning they eat mostly grass??.

Regards

A lot (not all) of the free range stuff is grass fed BUT are fed grain at the end to fatten them up. Can't remember where I read this. So it is actually hard to say what's what when it comes to meat because one doesn't really know.

Guys,

Is lamb a better source of protein/ fat compared to beef and chicken. I am asking specifically to the fact that beef and chicken is mostly feedlot (grain) fed and most sheep I see is free roaming, meaning they eat mostly grass??.

Regards

Lamb is my meat of choice - I buy from a butcher in Merweville in the Karoo and I normally buy A3, so it has more fat than the A1 and A2 variety in most butchers.

I buy a lamb or young sheep (2-tand in Afrikaans) and that yields around 17 - 22kg of very usable meat - I also buy the tripe (afval / offal) - but not the head - and that goes into the curries and stews that we make.

Current pricing is around R59/kg so you simply cannot get to that level of bang for your buck with beef or chicken.

... I buy from a butcher in Merweville in the Karoo and I normally buy A3, so it has more fat than the A1 and A2 variety in most butchers ...

Love fatty Karoo tjoppies! So full of flavour. How can I go about getting hold of this butcher and how do I get meat from Merweville to Pretoria?

Love fatty Karoo tjoppies! So full of flavour. How can I go about getting hold of this butcher and how do I get meat from Merweville to Pretoria?

Sjoe - they sell through a variety of Farmer's Markets in the Western Cape (Willowbridge & Somerset Mall as examples), but you are most welcome to contact them directly, as they may already supply to the North ?

Douvoordag Slagtery, Merweville : +27 23 501 4117 (The owners are Joubert and Mariaan)

Edited by htone

I have a contact (Pretoria arear) for proper Karoo lamb en grassfed Afrikaner beef from the Vryburg district.

Send me a PM if you are interested and I can forward you the contact details.

Cheers

Rex

So I have just gotten home from the Tim Noakes Public lecture.

I'm busy uploading the sound file for those who want to download it and listen to it (around 500mb).

Some very interesting stuff! Slightly more aimed at the medical field but even so made some interesting points that I haven't yet come across (busy reading the info dump on the first post, about 400 pages through the 800).

If anyone knows how to consolidate V2 of this thread into a word doc please let me know as I would like to have it for offline purposes so I can read through all this as well.