LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Hi guys

Had my heart first fat shake today. Tasted quite good, only thing is my stomach has been unsettled for the entire day, is this normal?

Baby steps. It'll take a few days to adjust.

Also, there are some fats that you should really be careful with, eg flax seed oil. That stuff can easily become a laxative so I'm scared to take some before a ride.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi guys

Had my heart first fat shake today. Tasted quite good, only thing is my stomach has been unsettled for the entire day, is this normal?

Not sure if it's normal, but not uncommon. My feeling is it's a combination of 2 things.

First the sheer volume of calories in a fat shake - you body may be struggling to hanlde.

Second, the 'oily' nature of the drink which seems to trigger an uneasy feeling.

If you have not had it before, it can be a bit of a shock to they system. I don't know what you put in yours, but perhaps try half doses of the oils for starters. Personally I make mine with cream, butter, coconut oil, milk and Nomu. More milk = less oily.

If you want to go the fat shake route, build it up slowly to full strength.

Thanks, I'm using the recipe in the Tim Noakes book, no oil in that one, just butter, cream, milk and Nomu. Will probably only have it a few times a week though.

Thanks, I'm using the recipe in the Tim Noakes book, no oil in that one, just butter, cream, milk and Nomu. Will probably only have it a few times a week though.

For me it's the butter that makes the difference - either leave it out (which is pretty much what I do now) or introduce it gradually.

Maybe I just don't use the right butter.

tl;dnr: Topwine using bad science to try scare people off low carb (again)

I'll make it very easy for you. You think you have it all figured out. You think "my science" is wrong and can somehow prove it, although you have not given anything to do that yet ... But hey, I am a sporting guy, I'll make a bet with you, name an amount, let's say R500, you disprove Anthony Colpo's science in his articles that I posted, and I'll pay you, if you don't, you pay me ? Game ? Put up or shut up. Let's get this over and done with.

I've been catching up on this thread over the past week. Started LCHF after the Xmas excesses, and have lost a kg or 2 already. I'm an animal nutritionist aka farmer, and my knowledge of the energy pathways have always intrigued me. I was trying to get into ketosis 20 years ago for my running, but could never attain it because of too much beer, I think.????

I've committed to a year of LCHF to try to get my long dist cycling working on fat.

Lots of grass fed mutton, and cream and butter

post-2975-0-47817700-1389895962_thumb.jpg

have got me going. I'm getting along well, after suffering from bad carb flu last weekend.

I start the day with bulletproof coffee, with only cream and coconut oil. My cream is so thick that I think butter is unnecessary. Then try to keep eating fatty foods through the day, with a big meal at about 6 which would be a protein/fat and salad meal.

I find that my protein intake is probably a tad high. But I don't want to eat more fats at the moment. I've cut out some of the biltong that I've been eating to reduce the protein and seem to have the proportions right.

Wrt my cycling, I've not yet noticed sig drop in my power, I'm still waiting for my buddies at the tops of the hills.

I've been catching up on this thread over the past week. Started LCHF after the Xmas excesses, and have lost a kg or 2 already. I'm an animal nutritionist aka farmer, and my knowledge of the energy pathways have always intrigued me. I was trying to get into ketosis 20 years ago for my running, but could never attain it because of too much beer, I think.

I've committed to a year of LCHF to try to get my long dist cycling working on fat.

post-2975-0-47817700-1389895962_thumb.jpg

have got me going. I'm getting along well, after suffering from bad carb flu last weekend.

I start the day with bulletproof coffee, with only cream and coconut oil. My cream is so thick that I think butter is unnecessary. Then try to keep eating fatty foods through the day, with a big meal at about 6 which would be a protein/fat and salad meal.

I find that my protein intake is probably a tad high. But I don't want to eat more fats at the moment. I've cut out some of the biltong that I've been eating to reduce the protein and seem to have the proportions right.

Wrt my cycling, I've not yet noticed sig drop in my power, I'm still waiting for my buddies at the tops of the hills.

Hey man welcome!!! Great to have you on board. Now we are two farmers, at least that I know off.

I dont do much beef, I prefer ostrich or mutton, not that I know how much grain is fed to ostrich but the packaging certainly shows it as free range.

Sheep don't get fattened in pens, rather rye grass etc, so they more free range than anything else on shelves.

Regards

Depends on where you get your mutton from. Up in Gauteng there are a lot of sheep feedlots like south of Alberton and north of Pretoria also Devon. If it is not from the Karoo or southern Freestate chances are good that they were raised at least partially on maize or harvested maize paddocks.

I've been catching up on this thread over the past week. Started LCHF after the Xmas excesses

Welcome to the madhouse :)

Note to self: the cream in Stutterheim looks LOTS better than the stuff we get down here :clap: :clap:

DaleE, I'm moving to CT beginning Feb. You are adding to my worries when you say that.

I found out the colony doesn't allow the sale of raw milk. At all. Boo hoo.

When I drove through CT in November I also couldn't find decent sour cream either.

Difficult to beat biltong slices covered in chilli and sour cream.

Welcome to the madhouse :)

Note to self: the cream in Stutterheim looks LOTS better than the stuff we get down here :clap: :clap:

That's the good stuff, solid in a fridge. If you try to beat this cream you get butter.

DaleE, I'm moving to CT beginning Feb. You are adding to my worries when you say that.

I found out the colony doesn't allow the sale of raw milk. At all. Boo hoo.

When I drove through CT in November I also couldn't find decent sour cream either.

Difficult to beat biltong slices covered in chilli and sour cream.

Welcome in advance then :thumbup:

I'm not sure sale of raw milk is "not allowed" ... my local deli sold it till around 2 months back but supplier apparently stopped supplying - I got the feeling it was more an economics thing than a legal thing. Goat milk is available :eek:

There are places to go for this stuff, but you do need to look around. I use Gogo's in Newlands for eggs, grass fed meat, biltong, goat milk and cheese. http://gogosdeli.wozaonline.co.za

Daily Dairy is another name that springs to mind - somewhere in Northern Suburbs iirc - perhaps drop htone a note - I think he suggested them a while back.

Also seem to be more and more farmers markets popping up.

Howzit Dean

Like Dale says welcome to the mad-house.

Remember tho, that if you follow a ketogenic diet you thyriod will implode setting off a chain reaction up and down your spine causing your brain and, unfortunately, eventually, testicles, to explode. Or so it says on the internet. Possibly ;)

However, should you be prepared to take the risk, interesting things occur - my experiences:

1. Reduced panting (in fact, no panting) - allegedly due to no longer producing lactic acid as part of CHO combustion

2. Reduced requirement for CHO supplementation whilst cycling - none for most non-high intensive training/riding, much reduced for high-intensive training / racing.

3. The other stuff - stable daily blood sugar, better sleep, better concentration, weight loss etc. In my case reduced blood pressure too. Oh - and no more reflux after years of suffering it.

Envious of your access to grass fed grub.

Cheers

Dave

Edit:

From my experience, things to watch out for:

1. Lack of magnesium: cramps at night, cramps while cycling - a magnesium supplement taken most days (when I remember) seems to sort this out fine.

2. Lack of salt: lethargy, headaches, lack of performance on bike. I fix this by taking salt tabs - 2 x .2g tabs per day and before races seems to work fine for me. I salt my food too.

Also lack of salt can cause constipation when converting to LCHF.

Edited by davetapson

Howzit Dean

Like Dale says welcome to the mad-house.

Remember tho, that if you follow a ketogenic diet you thyriod will implode setting off a chain reaction up and down your spine causing your brain and, unfortunately, eventually, testicles, to explode. Or so it says on the internet. Possibly ;)

However, should you be prepared to take the risk, interesting things occur - my experiences:

1. Reduced panting (in fact, no panting) - allegedly due to no longer producing lactic acid as part of CHO combustion

2. Reduced requirement for CHO supplementation whilst cycling - none for most non-high intensive training/riding, much reduced for high-intensive training / racing.

3. The other stuff - stable daily blood sugar, better sleep, better concentration, weight loss etc. In my case reduced blood pressure too. Oh - and no more reflux after years of suffering it.

Envious of your access to grass fed grub.

Cheers

Dave

Shot Dave, I know the possible negatives ;) , not just a dim farmer you know :whistling: .

The positives are what I'm after. I know my body and it's responses under exercise very well, so if something doesn't seem right I'll get it quickly.

Riding with only water is what I'm after, I don't ride very fast, those days are behind me, but like a diesel engine, I can carry on at my pace forever.

Edited by deanbean

Re previous post.

Salt tabs are even more of a rip-off than etolls. Does anyone have access to a supplier who supplies in bulk (and cheap?)