LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an admission to make on this thread. Those of you that have read my previous posts will know I have been vegetarian for the past 12 years.

A month ago I started eating meat again. Big changes in my life and so I changed my diet as well. I have put on weight but am riding better than ever. Odd

So now I think I will have another go at this diet. May not go as low carb as a lot of you guys but I will try it again

And another step in the N=1 adventuring starts! Let us know how things go...

Gary Watson's article was loong. Had my doubt about the article because of the sensationalist title :D

The part at the end of nutritional authorities treating nutritional science like a religion reminded me to be mindful of discussing my diet with families and friends.

No matter what I say they'll hang onto what they've been told (by BULLSH!TT3RS or outright liars no less).

I posted just before Christmas, discussing whether HIIT is possible on LCHF as I was battling to complete a 6 x 4 min Zone 5 session (as per Mike Posthumous in Full Suss).

Turns out it's nothing to do with LCHF or not, just I'm not fit or strong enough (yet!) to complete a 6 x 4 min Zone 5 HIIT session... :blush:

The new plan is instead of trying to do 6 intervals and failing miserably on 3 of them, is to do good intervals and then then to stop the first time I fail on any one interval. I seem to remember Burry saying in some article that it's not worth trying to make numbers if you are not in a position to make them - leave it and try again when you are stronger / more rested.

So I will attempt to do good intervals, and hopefully the rewards of being able to do 6 x 4 min will come with time.

Dave I have also been told to bail from the interval session the moment I don't hit the numbers. I do this with tabatas

Almost impossible to dodge grains when our meat and fat comes from grain-finished beef.

I dont do much beef, I prefer ostrich or mutton, not that I know how much grain is fed to ostrich but the packaging certainly shows it as free range.

Sheep don't get fattened in pens, rather rye grass etc, so they more free range than anything else on shelves.

Regards

I'm sure pork and poultry (ostrich =? poultry) are the worst when it comes to percentage of feed coming from grains as anything else isn't financially feasible.

Heck, even farmed fish are fed grain or soy cr@p (how unnatural is that!).

http://en.wikipedia....rcial_fish_feed

And the worst part is that one can't be sure about salmon either due a lot of it being farmed nowadays, unless you pulled it out of the ocean yourself like tombeej :D

See the following link to see how great some people think soybean is for fish due to its relatively high protein content: http://grist.org/foo...-go-vegetarian/

Don't know much about sheep, but if they're grass-fed (and that leads to a favourable O3:06 ratio), that's great news: Some variety from grass-fed beef would be good.

Edited by schweinehund

Hi All.

Its the time of the year for me to go for an annual medical that my employer insists on. I've been on the LCHF for some time now. I really would prefer to see a doctor that supports the LCHF, or Paleo way of living to do the check up. Has anyone got a name or two for a doctor in Johannesburg or Sandton area for me?

Many thanks.

Hi All.

Its the time of the year for me to go for an annual medical that my employer insists on. I've been on the LCHF for some time now. I really would prefer to see a doctor that supports the LCHF, or Paleo way of living to do the check up. Has anyone got a name or two for a doctor in Johannesburg or Sandton area for me?

Many thanks.

Paleo is not the same as LCHF.

And why would you want a doctor that thinks the same as you? Would it not be better to have impartial advice ? After all, it should be objective measurements, not biased opinions, not ?

Thanks for the heads up there Topwine, but if you don't mind I would prefer to consult with someone that does subscribe to the LCHF, or alternatively the Paleo diet. I think we get enough lecturing and advice on why we should not be on the LCHF diet in this forum.

Thanks for the heads up there Topwine, but if you don't mind I would prefer to consult with someone that does subscribe to the LCHF, or alternatively the Paleo diet. I think we get enough lecturing and advice on why we should not be on the LCHF diet in this forum.

You mean, someone that thinks the same as you, who disregards the negative aspects of a ketogenic or VLC diet and just highlights the possible positive short term effects (which I don't deny there is btw) ?

This seems a bit close minded imo, as a doctor's responsibility would be to objectively evaluate your health and long term consequences of any intervention or treatment. If your health suddenly declines after a year or 2 or 3, are you going to search for another doctor again ?

One of the consequences of a chronic VLC or ketogenic diet is elevated adrenaline and/or cortisol levels (together with lower testosterone and T3 hormone levels ) . Go do a bit research of the effects of long term elevated cortisol levels on health. If you suddenly start breaking bones for no reason, you will know what diet to blame. Also a lot of that calsium that leaks out of your bones get to be deposited in your other body cells like heart muscle, leading to ultimate cell death. But hey, at least you will be able to say you lost a lot of weight ! That's positive ! :clap:

Edited by Topwine

You mean, someone that thinks the same as you, who disregards the negative aspects of a ketogenic or VLC diet and just highlights the possible positive short term effects (which I don't deny there is btw) ?

This seems a bit close minded imo, as a doctor's responsibility would be to objectively evaluate your health and long term consequences of any intervention or treatment. If your health suddenly declines after a year or 2 or 3, are you going to search for another doctor again ?

As opposed to the standard GP who hasn't questioned a word on the nutrition blocks he learnt at varsity coming from the 50's?

Impartial is a difficult thing to find. I think the guy just wants someone who is open to the idea of different diets

Topwine-do I know you? Did I ask for your or anybody's opinion? Jeez man, you really need a course on manners.

Thanks for that Iloydkayak.

Topwine-do I know you? Did I ask for your or anybody's opinion? Jeez man, you really need a course on manners.

Thanks for that Iloydkayak.

Don't worry, most of us just ignore him.

He is even mentioned in this topic's first post

PLEASE NOTE

This tread is for LCHF ONLY

If you have a discussion on Ray Peat or High Carb start your own tread please.

Edited by P.A.K.