LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I have the same question and it is still unanswered - what replaces muscle glycogen which is needed at high intensity when on LCHF? Cutting out carbs depletes glycogen so it makes sense that you will suffer from lack of steam. My own thinking is that carbs are required for high intensity. Live low carb but race carb. The journey continues.

Update -  http://lowcarbperformance.blogspot.com/2015/06/lets-measure.html

My response as above.  But yes, I'm not 'racing'.  My rides are 70% zone...

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until recently, researchers beleived nobody could directly oxidise fat for exercise at rates higher than 1g/min... but they got some guys into the lab that has been racing low carb for years, and some of them can oxidize fat directly at much higher rates than was previously beleived to be possible.

So.... IF your muscles can oxidize fat at that high rate, you may never get to the point where your muscles are going to need glycogen.

For me, Im trying to figure out over time whether these people are just lucky genetically, or whether one's body can adapt over long periods to become more and more 'apt' at oxidising fat directly.

Ive not been to a metabolic chamber to be tested, so i have no idea where I am on the scale... i have found that i needed to eat some carbs (lower gi stuff like sweet potato), recently - but that became necessary only after about 14 hours of exercise (we were attempting an everesting at the time).

I dont know where my cross-over point is. Wonder how best to test that. Any clues? I dont race to win, so im not the high performance guy looking to squeese the last few watts at high heart rates - and I guess those people are the ones that remain sceptical about racing 'low' even thought they may have been training 'low'.

The whole debate remains a fascinating area of personal experimentation. Im much more capable from an endurance point of view now than I was 5 years ago. But Im also lighter and fitter - so these things all inter-relate.

Regards

--Cor

Google a bit and found this:

http://www.ultrarunning.com/features/health-and-nutrition/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/

I saw something similar on  youtube video where jeff volek talks about it, but cant find that link now...

Edited by xCorWin

Until recently, researchers beleived nobody could directly oxidise fat for exercise at rates higher than 3g/min... but they got some guys into the lab that has been racing low carb for years, and some of them can oxidize fat directly at much higher rates than was previously beleived to be possible.

So.... IF your muscles can oxidize fat at that high rate, you may never get to the point where your muscles are going to need glycogen.

For me, Im trying to figure out over time whether these people are just lucky genetically, or whether one's body can adapt over long periods to become more and more 'apt' at oxidising fat directly.

Ive not been to a metabolic chamber to be tested, so i have no idea where I am on the scale... i have found that i needed to eat some carbs (lower gi stuff like sweet potato), recently - but that became necessary only after about 14 hours of exercise (we were attempting an everesting at the time).

I dont know where my cross-over point is. Wonder how best to test that. Any clues? I dont race to win, so im not the high performance guy looking to squeese the last few watts at high heart rates - and I guess those people are the ones that remain sceptical about racing 'low' even thought they may have been training 'low'.

The whole debate remains a fascinating area of personal experimentation. Im much more capable from an endurance point of view now than I was 5 years ago. But Im also lighter and fitter - so these things all inter-relate.

Regards

--Cor

This is definitely true. Go for a V02 Max test, including blood lactate testing during the test. My crossover point is currently at 87% of max HR. I eat VERY little carb. Basically only what I get from macadamia nuts and dairy (no milk, just cream and cheese etc.) Edited by SimpleDom

I finally managed to get myself a freestyle optium ketone meter. My first blood ketone test result was 2.8 mmol/L. I was really interested in what it was with the Lionman race pending tomorrow. I'm now pretty torn between racing as is (and hopefully maintaining my current level of ketones) and trying the SuperStarch which finally arrived.... Hmmm. What to do.

well, the higher cholesterol levels a quite a concern. If I may ask, by how much is it up?

I haven't tested mine yet since I'm on LCHF. It was high before I started, 6,2. I thought I shall check it again when I reached my goal weight.

Sitting at 7.5. Not entirely happy with the way things are going but will persevere. 

Sitting at 7.5. Not entirely happy with the way things are going but will persevere.

Check particle size...

well, the higher cholesterol levels a quite a concern. If I may ask, by how much is it up?

I haven't tested mine yet since I'm on LCHF. It was high before I started, 6,2. I thought I shall check it again when I reached my goal weight.

**I am not a doctor** - but if you believe anything that Tim Noakes says then firstly 6.2 is not actually that high (contrary to what the statin sellers will lead you to believe.)  Secondly you need to be comparing hdl / ldl ratios as well as particle size - not just the overall numbers.

But again, I'm not a doctor and this is your health and well being - not mine.  So make decisions you are comfortable with.   

With regards to the cholesterol statements above:

I am always a bit apprehensive where someone releases some 'groundbreaking' information - but then charges you (hence profits) from this information.

However, I have had feedback from relatives within the industry that backs up these claims.

So read it with an open mind and make your own decisions:

http://www.statinnation.net/