LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Someone made a comment about a "sin day". I am learning NOT TO DO IT - not worth it. Then, the final nail in the coffin was when I attended a LCHF Summit last week. Dr Eric Westman says that a cheat/sin day can set you back between 3 days and two weeks.

Neeeee wat -

100% Spot on. Anyone measuring blood ketones will have seen this. But it's not just because of the numbers.. . I can feel it for days after. The tiredness, lack of focus, headaches, and empty tank.

A quick fix is a nice hard session, or long ride. Just something to kick the liver back into producing ketones.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been asking a lot about the cramps, as I have never cramped before but do a lot now on #LCHF. 1 stock cube dissolved in boiling water / day is excellent with a high quality magnesium supplement. We cramp because we don't get all the salt from processed foods. Normal (but inconvenient) side effect

Interesting. Have not experienced cramping on my Banting lifestyle. Cramped once at the beginning when mileage was still low.

Attended a Prof Nokes talk on the fallacy of the billion $$ energy drink industry and at Q&A time got in a question related to what causes cramps and does energy drinks not assist to prevent this. His short answer was "get the muscles conditioned to the longer sessions".

One of the reasons I have been drinking plenty water only on rides and so far so good. Have found no ill effects of not having coloured water in my bottle.

High5 Zero

or

a glass of water with a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of lemon juice

any info on sugar free electrolyte replacements??? i tend to cramp when i push to hard, when riding/racing on water alone

I realize this reply is months late, but for the benefit of others, Noakes recommends a fasting day if you get stuck on a weight.  Apparently it boosts your metabolism and starts the weight-loss process again.  Something like that.  Have dinner.  Sleep.  Take a Bulletproof Coffee in the morning and tee, coffee, water throughout the next day until dinner again.

Mmmmm.... Maybe I should try that. I'm not keen on the effects I get from carbs. I don't have time for headaches and mood swings : ) I wouldn't mind a nice gourmet burger and chips : () Not sure I should release the beast.

Edited by wernerhp

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this reply is months late, but for the benefit of others, Noakes recommends a fasting day if you get stuck on a weight.  Apparently it boosts your metabolism and starts the weight-loss process again.  Something like that.  Have dinner.  Sleep.  Take a Bulletproof Coffee in the morning and tee, coffee, water throughout the next day until dinner again.

This definitely works. I got stuck on 95- 96KG and just couldn't get below 95. (coming from 110kg)

A friend told me about fasting and I fasted a whole day(actually 36h- last meal was sunday at around 19h00 with coffee at 22h00 and then breakfast at Tuesday around 10h00). Only had black coffee and green tea. This was 2 weeks ago and currently I am on 92,5 kg.

It is not as tough as you think it will be.

I find what works well, if you start off at a slower pace and increase pace in subsequent runs depending on your bodies response to previous attempts. In time the body does adapt and you'll be a 100% fat burning machine !! :thumbup:  Enjoy the run

This definitely works. I got stuck on 95- 96KG and just couldn't get below 95. (coming from 110kg)

A friend told me about fasting and I fasted a whole day(actually 36h- last meal was sunday at around 19h00 with coffee at 22h00 and then breakfast at Tuesday around 10h00). Only had black coffee and green tea. This was 2 weeks ago and currently I am on 92,5 kg.

It is not as tough as you think it will be.

I experienced exactly the same. Intuitively, it does not sound like the ideal, proceed with caution, but it does work. I do this during low intensity periods, when potential low energy levels pose no risk. Also agree, it's easier than you think.

I find what works well, if you start off at a slower pace and increase pace in subsequent runs depending on your bodies response to previous attempts. In time the body does adapt and you'll be a 100% fat burning machine !! :thumbup:  Enjoy the run

Yeah, definitely. I'm by no means someone who could be considered as a "natural runner" and thanks to a couple of knee injuries, I NEED to take it easy to start off with. Following a program that was posted somewhere here a while ago. 

Starting off (this week) with 5 min warmup @ 6kph; 2 min run @ 10-12kph; walk 3 min @ 5-7kph; repeat 4 more times; cool down 5 min @ 5-7kph. 4 days a week.

Next week it ratchets up to 3 min run 2 min walk, then 4 min run 1 min walk, then run 25 min, then 26 min and so on until you get to an hour a day, 4 days a week with a taper, then half marathon... 

have to take it slow cos of my weight and my knees... 

Another vote for the fast. I do it every month now for about 6 months. Last meal on Sunday evening and then first meal Wednesday morning. Very light meals on Wednesday. Just vege and salads. Thursday a little more food including a kettle dinner then Friday pretty much back to normal.

On the fast I drink water and green tea. An espresso on Tuesday morning to stave off the headache. I work but no cycling or exercise.

First meal is plain yoghurt. I eat some fruit. Salad for lunch and supper.

I find it resets my taste buds. Everything tastes awesome after 60 hours of going hungry. Joint pains disappear totally. I have a number of old injuries that niggle me. All gone after the fast. Portion sizes get back under control and snacking is not so tempting. Sweet things like sugars taste repulsive.

I don't do it for weight loss but it does seem to help for that. I think the human body is adapted to and benefits from periodic fasting. No way our distant ancestors had access to food so constantly as we do.

Update: Still peeing like a racehorse, but the green tea fends off hunger really nicely. Still feeling alert, still peppy. 

Doing it as a daily mini-fast, and having one large meal a day - dinner. I have a feeling I'll be able to "control" myself far easier if there's only ever one meal to eat. That's been my downfall in recent attempts at "dieting" - just losing track of what I put in. 

Green tea throughout the morning, with normal water as well. Black coffee at around 11 or so - that really kicks off the main vein drain... 

Made a mistake this morning. Started off with black coffee instead of green tea. Bad idea. By the time 10am hit, I was ravenous. Had a small piece of chicken breast (50g max) in the fridge, so I klapped that and made a green tea. 5 min after finishing the tea, hunger gone completely. 

I think I need to start on the green. Coffee later in the day...