LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I avoid coffee when fasting. Drink green tea all day but not that tea bag kind. Can't stand the taste. I but loose leaf from Cyrildene. It's so cheap they may as well give it away.

Will try it out. I have a tea strainer jobbie magafter at home, so it'll be fine. 

When fasting, keep a jar of coconut oil handy. If your hungry, eat a spoonful.

Um, then it wouldn't be fast now would it?

Hi guys.

I'm new to the banting wagon. I really do enjoy the way of eating but also struggle a LOT on the bike feeling powerless with a high heart rate. I found this on bicycling's website bicycling.co.za when I searched banting on there.

It is part 4

http://www.bicycling.co.za/podcasts/climb-like-boss/

It also refers to the way team Sky use banting in a way.

I have experienced HORRIFIC carb flu 2x. Once when I started Banting and 2 years later when I made another cut. What took the longest each time was the adaptation from using glycogen for muscle energy to using fat for muscle energy. It took me 8 weeks both times. This adaptation phase is probably what you are going through - feeling like death warmed up ! If so, 8 weeks should be the max - hang in - it's worth it.

Hi There

I've been on LCHF for about 5 weeks now and i've been seeing the results in my weight-loss.

i have a cycling endurance event coming up soon.

I'm a little worried as you are told as a cyclist to carbo-load before an event, i did an event while i was still in my adaption phase and i hit the wall which i expected.

I'm worried and do not know if i should continue on my low carb diet and continue to burn fat or should i carbo-load with good carbs a few days before.

I found this article on the internet as reference: http://thefitfork.com/fat-and-then-carbs-latest-in-pre-race-nutrition-for-marathons-and-ultras

Regards

Hi There

I've been on LCHF for about 5 weeks now and i've been seeing the results in my weight-loss.

I'm a little worried as you are told as a cyclist to carbo-load before an event, i did an event while i was still in my adaption phase and i hit the wall which i expected.

I'm worried and do not know if i should continue on my low carb diet and continue to burn fat or should i carbo-load with good carbs a few days before.

I found this article on the internet as reference: http://thefitfork.com/fat-and-then-carbs-latest-in-pre-race-nutrition-for-marathons-and-ultras

Regards

Go to the plastic shop, buy 2 or 3 small bottles, fill it with half cream and half mct oil...after 5 weeks you should be pretty well fat adapted, the mct oil will be instant energy and the cream will kick in a bit later. if you are to use carbs, just use it during the race...dont carb load. 

Hi There

Regards

From what I could determine is that the majority of banters do LCHF during the week and on weekend rides or races they add carbs.

I myself struggled to get oemf for HIIT and for group rides at tempo. Low intensity/ very short interval training (20min max) and long slow rides, I could do on LCHF, but the moment I increased the tempo I suffered big time- this was even after 4 months of banting.

I started to take a banana and apple juice for HIIT sessions and an energy bar and drink for weekend rides. For really long and hard rides and races I'll have muesli or oats before.

I don't do any carbo loading prior to a race and during the week I will remain LCHF. I do however eat sweet patato and fruit the day prior to a race- that is the most carbo loading I do.

I do ride and race with far less gels and drinks than I used to. My times definitely improved, but that is due to the 17kg I've dropped sofar and the hard training. I still experiment with nutrition to find out what is working the best for me.

Been banting for 3 months, as mentioned there was a drop in performance in the first month but im back to normal performance again without complete body exhaustion after every ride, weight has dropped, lost fat and increased lean muscle. those weekend binges can help in the race but take approximately 3 days to work off so back to square one....one step forward two steps back.

The mct oil is a better fuel source than glucose...its expensive(although cheaper than gels) but its an immediate energy source which is what many people are missing in their LCHF diets...if you not going for podium finishes then whats the point of pushing till bonking...start a little slower...all the glucose fueled junkies will start showing fatigue midway through the race and thats when you pass them by. your performance will get better...give your body time to adapt....its worth the end result. good luck :clap:  

Been banting for 3 months, as mentioned there was a drop in performance in the first month but im back to normal performance again without complete body exhaustion after every ride, weight has dropped, lost fat and increased lean muscle. those weekend binges can help in the race but take approximately 3 days to work off so back to square one....one step forward two steps back.

The mct oil is a better fuel source than glucose...its expensive(although cheaper than gels) but its an immediate energy source which is what many people are missing in their LCHF diets...if you not going for podium finishes then whats the point of pushing till bonking...start a little slower...all the glucose fueled junkies will start showing fatigue midway through the race and thats when you pass them by. your performance will get better...give your body time to adapt....its worth the end result. good luck :clap:

I have to agree with this post from Van Zyl... If you add carbs, be they simple or complex, you are taking a step or 2 backwards. This would be close to a cheat day, which Dr Eric Westman explained can stall weight loss up to 2 weeks :(. Rather take extra time, get FULLY fat adapted and only race on fat and water. 3 months hasn't been long when you are looking at changing a (possibly) lifetime of bad habits...

If you HAVE to increase carbs - more veg and sweet potato... That would be the best of a bad bunch

'carbo loading' mmmmm when does one really need that prior to a race? I mean for the normal one day races is it needed ..... if one was doing Iron Man or some other ultra event I would understand but up to 5-6 hours of 'racing'?

'carbo loading' mmmmm when does one really need that prior to a race? I mean for the normal one day races is it needed ..... if one was doing Iron Man or some other ultra event I would understand but up to 5-6 hours of 'racing'?

The correct term is probably glycogen restoration. You only have enough for 2-3 hours of racing when fully fuelled and depletion starts immediately once the race starts so you should make sure you replenish. 

The correct term is probably glycogen restoration. You only have enough for 2-3 hours of racing when fully fuelled and depletion starts immediately once the race starts so you should make sure you replenish.

Question relates more to loading before events? Or do I understand you wrong ..

Question relates more to loading before events? Or do I understand you wrong ..

When on LCHF, you look to try top up glycogen stores for a race. So recent recommended carb intake the day before is 200g. From a recent pod cast from Noakes. It's not carb loading per se. You're just not wanting to start in a glycogen depleted state. Lchf means you use less glycogen, but it's still necessary.