LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Question relates more to loading before events? Or do I understand you wrong ..

I'm not sure nsBB - what I mean to say is that one should make sure glycogen stores are full prior to event. This means day before and on morning of race as stores deplete somewhat while sleeping. Commonly referred to as carbo loading I suppose. 

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the past two years I have lost about 23kgs, mostly by way of LCHF. Ive also done a few half marathons, an ultra marathon (50kgs), 2 olympic distance tris and 2 half ironmans.

In the past two months Ive let it go again, no training, eating junk and getting a boep again. 

To get myself on track I want to enter for Ironman next year and do LCHF to drop the weight. How would I go about training in the initial adaption phase, taking into account that Ironman is 4 months away.

In the past two years I have lost about 23kgs, mostly by way of LCHF. Ive also done a few half marathons, an ultra marathon (50kgs), 2 olympic distance tris and 2 half ironmans.

In the past two months Ive let it go again, no training, eating junk and getting a boep again. 

To get myself on track I want to enter for Ironman next year and do LCHF to drop the weight. How would I go about training in the initial adaption phase, taking into account that Ironman is 4 months away.

Not sure if 4 months is enough time ... but go read this blog: http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za/

The guy is on Banting, and doing all sorts of ultra-distance events (Freedom Challenge, Dash 2 Durban, and currently preparing for Munga). He often writes about eating strategies on these type of events.

Not sure if 4 months is enough time ... but go read this blog: http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za/

The guy is on Banting, and doing all sorts of ultra-distance events (Freedom Challenge, Dash 2 Durban, and currently preparing for Munga). He often writes about eating strategies on these type of events.

Will do so. 4 months not enough time whilst banting or in general?

Will do so. 4 months not enough time whilst banting or in general?

I'm not an expert on nutrition or training, but from my personal experience I can tell you that after 3 months on LCHF I still couldn't train at high intensity levels.

I could ride for longer in a fasted state and without any bars or food during the ride, but the moment I wanted to up the tempo, I bonked.

The weight loss was significant though.

After I start to take wholefood carbs and energy drinks (long hard rides only), I was able to maintain HIT and my performance on the bike and fitness level improve drastically.

I guess it depends on your goal for Ironman and your current fitness levels, but I won't attempt it with only 4 months of training.

Not sure if 4 months is enough time ... but go read this blog: http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za/

Hi - there are a number of things I see here.

Firstly,if you have only been "off track" for 2 months, you will quickly become fat-adapted again, so I dont think Banting in prep for Ironman should not be an issue.  With respect, if you are only deciding to do it now, you arent planning on winning the thing, so you will adapt in time.

Secondly, and more concerning (to me) though, is you say "To get myself on track I want to enter for Ironman next year" - if you are entering Ironman in an effort to force you to train in an effort to lose weight - you are making a mistake.  THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for achieving and MAINTAINING weight-loss is what you eat.  You should not have to exercise at ALL in order to maintain your weight at a healthy level.  Of course exercise is important and its what keeps us in shape and toned, but you CANNOT OUTRUN (OUTTRAIN) a bad diet...

Just a thought...

Hi - there are a number of things I see here.

Firstly,if you have only been "off track" for 2 months, you will quickly become fat-adapted again, so I dont think Banting in prep for Ironman should not be an issue. With respect, if you are only deciding to do it now, you arent planning on winning the thing, so you will adapt in time.

Secondly, and more concerning (to me) though, is you say "To get myself on track I want to enter for Ironman next year" - if you are entering Ironman in an effort to force you to train in an effort to lose weight - you are making a mistake. THE MOST IMPORTANT thing for achieving and MAINTAINING weight-loss is what you eat. You should not have to exercise at ALL in order to maintain your weight at a healthy level. Of course exercise is important and its what keeps us in shape and toned, but you CANNOT OUTRUN (OUTTRAIN) a bad diet...

Just a thought...

What I meant was not to train to lose weight. Obviously the weight loss will come as a by product but in the two months Ive not trained Ive gained flab although the weight stayed the same. Entering Ironman to get things on track is more a motivation thing.

And my goal is 16h59[emoji12]

Edited by PrinceVlad

What I meant was not to train to lose weight. Obviously the weight loss will come as a by product but in the two months Ive not trained Ive gained flab although the weight stayed the same. Entering Ironman to get things on track is more a motivation thing.

And my goal is 16h59[emoji12]

think its an awesome idea, good luck :thumbup:

Hi,

I did IM in 2015 while on LCHF - sort of.

You need carbs during extended training/races. An RQ test will show you that. Question is where do you get those carbs: eat it, or let your body try and supply through gluconeogenesis? I chose the former as I didn't want to strain my body even further than 'normal' IM strain. There is enough evidence to show that insulin production is suppressed during exercise which prohibits carb to fat production. It is burned as needed.

I used Phil Mafetone's formula (180-age, +5-10 if you haven't been injured/burned out in past two years) to project where I use 50% glucose during exercise and simply ate that amount (per hour). I think this is essential for ultra races otherwise you will bonk. I later did a RQ test and it confirmed that his formula was spot on for me. I also took in carbs within the frist 30min after a long training session if I felt that I was depleted in any measure.

My weight was completely within what I desired and as a non-talented athlete I did IM in 12:46 without any energy issues. Enough for me...

Was worried about doing DC on LCHF, but pushed through and ate only my LCHF breakfast and again for lunch at the first feeding stop. In between had droe wors as suggested by someone way earlier and felt great all the way. Slow time for other reasons, but had no energy deficiency throughout.

Very glad I stuck to my eating plan and it all worked a charm.

What I am learning at a rapid pace (ok, 2 years, maybe not so rapid), is that we NEED so much less to train and race on than what the sports nutrition companies say we do. I mean, think about it - 1 GU every 45 minutes? No wonder I vomit my lungs out at the end of ultra distance races ;(. Think of ALL the money we spend on various "nutrition" drink for pre-training, during training, after training. Then all the things we buy to race with (oh and you train on race food for weeks before to test too). Its like pharmaceuticals - it's BIG BUSINESS.

All we need to do, and it's this simple - eat real food. It sounds too good to be true and it's a huge learning curve.

What I am learning at a rapid pace (ok, 2 years, maybe not so rapid), is that we NEED so much less to train and race on than what the sports nutrition companies say we do. I mean, think about it - 1 GU every 45 minutes? No wonder I vomit my lungs out at the end of ultra distance races ;(. Think of ALL the money we spend on various "nutrition" drink for pre-training, during training, after training. Then all the things we buy to race with (oh and you train on race food for weeks before to test too). Its like pharmaceuticals - it's BIG BUSINESS.

All we need to do, and it's this simple - eat real food. It sounds too good to be true and it's a huge learning curve.

Done all my training for DC on just water and no other liquid supplement. No issues.

Ate no carbs throughout training and again, no lack of energy.

Hmmmn ... Wonder how much money I saved?

Eish - pockets still empty though. :eek:

If you road a slow DC eg. over 6 hours your opinion is useless. You are all idiots believing the marketing hype. 

If you road a slow DC eg. over 6 hours your opinion is useless. You are all idiots believing the marketing hype. 

What motivates someone to give such a rubbish comment, if you dont agree with it just keep quiet or at least give constructive criticism....whether you believe it or not this diet has helped so many people and its made such an impact that many tour de france cyclists are using ketones instead of glucose as fuel sources...even iron-man athletes are using this methodology so maybe you are the idiot.