LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

If you road a slow DC eg. over 6 hours your opinion is useless. You are all idiots believing the marketing hype. 

You know what Marius, you are clearly such a hot shot cyclist and must probably have come close to winning DC... why are you even then on this thread?  Its clear you need no assistance from us idiots.

Good luck with your attitude mate - its really is going to stand you in good stead (not)

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent for couch potatoes (although the jury is still out on whether its healthy or not) but not so excellent for training properly and racing. Maybe I'll change my mind when the banters start beating me. 

If you road a slow DC eg. over 6 hours your opinion is useless. You are all idiots believing the marketing hype. 

That dude that I posted the link to the blog to? He is preparing for Munga at the moment; won Race to Rhodes earlier this year, is way over 50, and did 94.7 in 2:56 - in that heat. His previous fastes time was 2 minutes faster when he was 10 years younger.

Of course 1 example is not scientific, but in at least one case Banting made this guy a lot faster. He is experimenting with different strategies and blogging about what works and what not.

Edited by cat-i

That dude that I posted the link to the blog to? He is preparing for Munga at the moment; won Race to Rhodes earlier this year, is way over 50, and did 94.7 in 2:56 - in that heat. His previous fastes time was 2 minutes faster when he was 10 years younger.

Of course 1 example is not scientific, but in at least one case Banting made this guy a lot faster. He is experimenting with different strategies and blogging about what works and what not.

Munga, R2R pfffft! You're talking to okes who do serious riding now cat-i......

Tim Noakes: why I've been waiting for this trial for years

Cape Town University emeritus professor Tim Noakes has explained at a media conference why he welcomes the ‘nutrition trial of the century’. and in fact has been waiting for years to present the science on an international platform. So far, the hearing against him by the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA) on behalf of dietitian Claire Strydom, former president of the Association for Dietetics in SA (ADSA) has gone well in his favour.

Marketing hype is generally done by those trying to make millions out of the masses. Interestingly enough, the only millions here is that made by those propagating your view. Just saying.

You sound like one frustrated puppy.

Thanks Marius for gracing us with your presence here. It is not everyday that one is in the presence of cycling greatness.

Unfortunately we were not all blessed with your genes and cycling prowess to complete the DC in 5h58. (Although I believe that if your time was more than 6 hours you would've said any that comments made by someone not doing sub 6h30 is irrelevant).

In any event, have you ever thought of the fact that, notwithstanding the fact that you create the impression that you want to be as fast as possible, not everybody wants to complete the DC in less than 6 hours. One man's sub 6 is another man's finish.

I have never been fast and never will be, but I will do everything I can to best that I can be, not better than someone else. If that means my best is a 16h59 Ironman, then so be it. I am proud of that. I suspect that many here will agree with me? So why be so negative about it? Nobody is forcing the bacon and eggs down your throat, so why try to force your opinion on us.

If you don't like what is said on the LCHF forum, take your carbs drinks and be on your merry way. I think we will all be better off that way.

Like JCZA said.... Couch Potato signing off!

Thanks Marius for gracing us with your presence here. It is not everyday that one is in the presence of cycling greatness.

Unfortunately we were not all blessed with your genes and cycling prowess to complete the DC in 5h58. (Although I believe that if your time was more than 6 hours you would've said any that comments made by someone not doing sub 6h30 is irrelevant).

In any event, have you ever thought of the fact that, notwithstanding the fact that you create the impression that you want to be as fast as possible, not everybody wants to complete the DC in less than 6 hours. One man's sub 6 is another man's finish.

I have never been fast and never will be, but I will do everything I can to best that I can be, not better than someone else. If that means my best is a 16h59 Ironman, then so be it. I am proud of that. I suspect that many here will agree with me? So why be so negative about it? Nobody is forcing the bacon and eggs down your throat, so why try to force your opinion on us.

If you don't like what is said on the LCHF forum, take your carbs drinks and be on your merry way. I think we will all be better off that way.

Like JCZA said.... Couch Potato signing off!

it's the okes racing for 47th position that shout the loudest (and generally get ignored).

STRAAAAAAVA!

Excellent for couch potatoes (although the jury is still out on whether its healthy or not) but not so excellent for training properly and racing. Maybe I'll change my mind when the banters start beating me. 

I have a lot of respect for your views on the topic on performance and LCHF. Having seen you really give it a full go, and it just not working for you.

As for others with an emotional opinion.... Ya... I guess I have nothing to say to them.

Given the current trends in this thread, I thought I'd give some feedback on my own experience.

This season I have made a point of experimenting with different fueling strategies for racing. Mostly for mtb races, but also included 94.7.

Without boring you with too much detail: I've tried a race on SuperStarch before only, SuperStarch before and during, pure eat what you can and drink pepto pro (sugar racing), and then carb free.

So. The results were interesting. Mostly what I noticed is that sugar makes me cramp (muscle cramps. Hamstrings, quads, calves) . Every time. SuperStarch included. As a result, I'm not actually able to "benefit" from any sugar intake for racing.

I also didn't love racing on fat only. It's not a performance thing, but rather just how I felt while pushing hard. It's ugly. You just feel empty, even though you're moving fast.

Then I nailed it on 94.7. I really feel like I have found what works for me:

200g of carbs the day before the race (When food only).

Then, what I think the key switch was... I swapped the usual 2tbsp of coconut oil in my bulletproof coffee for 2 tbsp of pure mct oil. On top of this, I had 4 eggs, cooked in butter, with grated cheese.

On the bike, I used water and drywors. Nothing else. I felt amazing.

Now the result. I managed a 2:55 for 94.7 from group H. For the first 30km, I nursed my partner who was feeling crap. He then instructed me to leave him. I time trialed the remainder of the race with zero assistance.

And the the kicker. I finished, had another sip of mct oil, and then did my second lap from the last start group in a moving time of 3:30. (3:45 including stops at water points). I was pretty happy with that, and from a fuel perspective, I felt awesome the whole time.

There was no resting or tapering for this race. It formed part of an 18.5 hour training week in my Epic training schedule.

Last point. To race properly on LCHF takes a kind of dedication that I would not consider normal. It's really really all or nothing in my experience. No sugar, ever. No beer either. Ever. Will I keep this up beyond the Epic, I'm not sure. It's a tough lifestyle to maintain. True adaptation takes many months. Not weeks. And any nutritional sins wipe you out for a week minimum.

My focus has always been on controlling my weight rather than my performance on the bike and have had good success, having said that I have had some of my best results in events that I have had for many years! Probably more as a result of the higher 'power to weight ratio' and that I train harder cause I feel better?

Not sure if 4 months is enough time ... but go read this blog: http://mikewoolnough.blogspot.co.za/

The guy is on Banting, and doing all sorts of ultra-distance events (Freedom Challenge, Dash 2 Durban, and currently preparing for Munga). He often writes about eating strategies on these type of events.

Thanx cat-i for posting this link. This is not the first such expose I've read regarding athlete's experience on LCHF (read accounts from iron man athletes) but is the first in-depth encounter from someone who has also achieved sporting success at a competitive level.

After reading this guys experience with LCHF, it just makes my commitment to remain on this eating plan AND increasing my exercise regimen all the more. No intention to win anything, but always trying to beat myself.

It also allows me the comfort to know that guys like Marius are just  ... :nuke: sigh.

I have a lot of respect for your views on the topic on performance and LCHF. Having seen you really give it a full go, and it just not working for you.

As for others with an emotional opinion.... Ya... I guess I have nothing to say to them.

I think we all can learn  a lot from this. Two guys with completely different opinions on a subject respecting each others point of view.

Unfortunately, some other comments were clearly just intended to agitate, and did not add anything meaningful to this discussion.

Wow. Given it a PROPER go as of Monday. No carbs, except from green veg (broccoli / spinach / baby marrows etc) and coming off my codeine super-trip (8 a day for 21 days) I am really, really feeling the effects of  the carb-headache and codeine withdrawal. And coffee withdrawal. Together, well... eish. 

Breakfast has either been some salami sticks and a green tea, or bacon and egg. Lunch has been chilli & lime salmon with broccoli. Dinner has been what the wife and kid have been having, but without any starches or breads of any sort. To replace spaghetti I did those baby marrow spaghetti things. Tasted pretty good... 

But boy oh boy, is this headache cringeworthy.... I'm also nauseous as hell and just sore. Hoping that it's a combination of the codeine and lack of carbs, and will be rectified by friday...

So it starts, though. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew