LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Wow. Given it a PROPER go as of Monday. No carbs, except from green veg (broccoli / spinach / baby marrows etc) and coming off my codeine super-trip (8 a day for 21 days) I am really, really feeling the effects of the carb-headache and codeine withdrawal. And coffee withdrawal. Together, well... eish.

Breakfast has either been some salami sticks and a green tea, or bacon and egg. Lunch has been chilli & lime salmon with broccoli. Dinner has been what the wife and kid have been having, but without any starches or breads of any sort. To replace spaghetti I did those baby marrow spaghetti things. Tasted pretty good...

But boy oh boy, is this headache cringeworthy.... I'm also nauseous as hell and just sore. Hoping that it's a combination of the codeine and lack of carbs, and will be rectified by friday...

So it starts, though.

Well done! And salt!

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Given it a PROPER go as of Monday. No carbs, except from green veg (broccoli / spinach / baby marrows etc) and coming off my codeine super-trip (8 a day for 21 days) I am really, really feeling the effects of  the carb-headache and codeine withdrawal. And coffee withdrawal. Together, well... eish. 

Breakfast has either been some salami sticks and a green tea, or bacon and egg. Lunch has been chilli & lime salmon with broccoli. Dinner has been what the wife and kid have been having, but without any starches or breads of any sort. To replace spaghetti I did those baby marrow spaghetti things. Tasted pretty good... 

But boy oh boy, is this headache cringeworthy.... I'm also nauseous as hell and just sore. Hoping that it's a combination of the codeine and lack of carbs, and will be rectified by friday...

So it starts, though. 

Be strong Captain, the rewards are worth it!

Well done! And salt!

HANG IN HERE - it WILL BE WORTH IT.  Yes, add salt - this will help the symptoms.  Most effective way is to put a stock cube in boiling water and drink it (Curry beef is delicious).

Why??  The processed junk you are no longer eating had lots of salt in and now you are not getting any of that in.  Your body needs it (contrary to the high BP theories - which by the way aren't true).

Tim Noakes and legal dream team helping him survive ‘trial by ambush’

Curiouser and curiouser. Just when you think the Health Professions Council of SA hearing against a world-renowned scientist, Cape Town University emeritus professor Tim Noakes, can’t get any more peculiar, it exceeds all expectations. Here are my impressions of what went down this time round. It’s another long read, but like all good whodunnits it’s worth it. So make yourself a cuppa and read it at your leisure. 

Edited by tombeej

Is this how it feels to be on LCHF!? Okay, only a week and a bit in, but I've been limiting carbs to between 20 and 30g each day and super sizing the fat and protein, and today even though myfitnesspal is bitching at me cos I "haven't eaten enough" I am absolutely satisfied.

Brekkie was 2 eggs, avo, bacon, sautéed mushrooms. Lunch was 2 salami sticks and dinner 200g steak and some creamed spinach.

Just had a 45min fast-ish walk with the pup (ribs still won't let me run) and yet I'm completely satiated...

Is this how it feels to be on LCHF!? Okay, only a week and a bit in, but I've been limiting carbs to between 20 and 30g each day and super sizing the fat and protein, and today even though myfitnesspal is bitching at me cos I "haven't eaten enough" I am absolutely satisfied.

Brekkie was 2 eggs, avo, bacon, sautéed mushrooms. Lunch was 2 salami sticks and dinner 200g steak and some creamed spinach.

Just had a 45min fast-ish walk with the pup (ribs still won't let me run) and yet I'm completely satiated...

LOVING IT!! That is EXACTLY what you want... #happyforyou

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a lot of info.

Been banting now for 8 weeks or so. Feel really great although I believe I have dropped carbs to low too quickly so playing a bit with maybe taking 70-100 g per day and not below 50 where I was. I started hitting walls on my bike and it has not happened before.

Question: Where can I find a fat bomb recipe? Used to have 1 where you mix it and freeze it in an ice cube bag. I lost the recipe, would like to use it as an alternative to gels if anyone has such a recipe.

Thanks

Wow, what a lot of info.

Been banting now for 8 weeks or so. Feel really great although I believe I have dropped carbs to low too quickly so playing a bit with maybe taking 70-100 g per day and not below 50 where I was. I started hitting walls on my bike and it has not happened before.

Question: Where can I find a fat bomb recipe? Used to have 1 where you mix it and freeze it in an ice cube bag. I lost the recipe, would like to use it as an alternative to gels if anyone has such a recipe.

Thanks

Hitting the wall is unfortunately a part of the adaptation process from burning glycogen to burning fat!  But I can PROMISE you - it is TEMPORARY.  See it through - it may take 12 weeks to feel better, but it WILL be worth it.    I took slightly longer than 12 weeks (maybe because I am a girl #typicalchic), but it is worth it.  What I did find though, was that when I increased carbs and then went back down to under 50g, I went through the carb thing again... if you are planning races, doing what you are doing is probably the right thing, but if you have time to take yourself through the process, it may be worth seeing this phase through on your <50g.

There are some GREAT fat bomb recipes on the net, maybe google?  The alternative is to take a few pieces of droewors with you for energy?  Works really well for me.  I also like cheese, but it tends to melt on a warm day.

If you are experiencing cramping, remember that a stock cube in water does wonders.

• 4 weeks later...

Hitting the wall passes. But not on high intensity rides unfortunately.

But on LSDs, oh yes. Rode 115km today 28km/h average 1500m climbing, without eating breakfast and only two bottles of water with an electrolyte tablet. Nothing else. So yip, you can ride long and slow without carbs.

Edited by Patchelicious