LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Strange that some of the other threads have survived completely intact... someone know a mod that can have a squiz for us ????

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great to hear - thanks. Did you just put them on a hot frying pan?

Nope, in an oven pan in the oven, easy peasy !!!

Google e.g. "roasting almonds" and you will get the temp settings, etc.

Turn or stir often and keep an eye on them, they burn quickly !

Just got some frozen mixed berries from PnP (blueberries, raspberries and gojiberries) just cause they looked so nice and I've never experimented with them before.

Have any of you done something interesting with berries?

I'm thinking berries with cream for dessert. And of course in yogurt in the morning. Any other ideas?

So my wife decided to try Dr. Cohen's diet. You know, the really expensive one with the blood tests.

Going through her material I noticed that even though they cut the carbs, they cut her fat too.

I know after they reached their goal weight they start 're-feeding' where other food types are reintroduced.

I bet (hope) then they will start by re-introducing fat.

They've got some really nice recipes consisting of protein and veggies/fruit. Most of it is based on crackers or provitas though :thumbdown:

Anyways, will be interesting to see how she progresses.

I find the frozen ones a are bit mushy once defrosted .... but they are GREAT for making smoothies:

Woolworths double cream greek yoghurt

Fresh cream

Little honey or mollasses

frozen berries

some almonds to make it a bit crunchy

dump it all in the blender for one minute ... pour into tall glass ... garnish with sprinkle of nomu chocolate and a leaf of mint .... and serve to your guests for desert :)

Just got some frozen mixed berries from PnP (blueberries, raspberries and gojiberries) just cause they looked so nice and I've never experimented with them before.

I'm thinking berries with cream for dessert. And of course in yogurt in the morning. Any other ideas?

Ja, one of my comfort foods :). My way of eating them is to heat them in the microwave in a bowl till they're warm, then add a dollop of mascarpone. Allow it to melt so that it becomes 'stirrable'. Mixes nicely with the syrupy juice of the berries.

I'm going to have a go at Dale's smoothie recipe too tho.

Those warmed-up berries + mascarpone work best as a dollop on top of ice cream. And I love my ice cream.

But I need to find some really good LC/Paleo friendly ice cream recipes.... Anyone?

And any suggestions on an ice cream maker?

I found these low carb ice cream recipes after a quick search. Might try some of them>

Those warmed-up berries + mascarpone work best as a dollop on top of ice cream. And I love my ice cream.

But I need to find some really good LC/Paleo friendly ice cream recipes.... Anyone?

And any suggestions on an ice cream maker?

I found these low carb ice cream recipes after a quick search. Might try some of them>

Attia has a recipe for ice cream - I had posted it in the recently departed thread... :'( sniff.

Try googling Attia ice cream?

I find the frozen ones a are bit mushy once defrosted .... but they are GREAT for making smoothies:

Woolworths double cream greek yoghurt

Fresh cream

Little honey or mollasses

frozen berries

some almonds to make it a bit crunchy

dump it all in the blender for one minute ... pour into tall glass ... garnish with sprinkle of nomu chocolate and a leaf of mint .... and serve to your guests for desert :)

Add 20ml Coconut oil and 20ml Flaxseed oil and leave out the honey, and you have a very nice fat shake for the morning with about one third of your daily fat needs.

Found it Dave!

Peter Attia's Zero Sugar Espresso Ice Cream Recipe:

Original recipe makes 8 Servings.

Ingredients:

-- 3.5 cupsHeavy cream; 35% fat

-- 1 cup almond milk - zero sugar

-- 1 tablespoon of Vanilla extract

-- 2 tablespoons of Almond extract

-- 3 tablespoons of espresso powder (Like Via French Roast)

-- 2 tablespoons xylitol

Preparation:

Bring the almond milk to a brief light simmer, and then cool it in a Bain-marie over ice and water before mixing it with the cream (it will make for fewer ice crystals in the finished product).

This makes enough to feed about 8 normal people (or me in one sitting :)).

You’ll need an ice cream maker, obviously, to mix at at freezing temperatures.

You can add cacao powder for chocolate taste, and/or increase espresso powder for a stronger coffee taste.

Remember the confusion with Woolworth's Mackerel? I sent them a mail and got the following response.

I still can't figure out how they managed to get so many carbs in the mackerel - is it possible that it's farmed not wild and fed grain / pellets / etc? would that make a difference?

Every other source I can find lists Mackerel carbs at 0-2 carbs per 100g.

Guess I'll just have to stick to prawns and salmon :)

Thank you for bringing your concern regarding the Lightly Smoked Mackerel to our attention. Responding to customer needs is Woolworths' first priority, and we appreciate it when customers take the trouble to let us know their needs or concerns.

You may be assured that your comments have discussed with our technologist who has informed me that the nutri results from the lab were drawn and double checked. We use SANAS accredited labs and the nutri on this report was in fact 16g/100g which is in fact what is on the packaging.

We wash the fish in a light salt and water brine and then smoke it with a light smoke cycle with real oak chips, so we do not add anything during the smoking process.

If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us as follows, call us on 0860 022 002, email custserv@woolworths.co.za or contact us online www.woolworths.co.za.

Yours sincerely

refined coconut oil..

am I the only one who thinks it smells VEry chemically?

I got some the other day (Crede's) - thought it would be useful for things you don't want tasting of coconut, but jeez, it smells kind of like fuel or something. You actually couldn't taste it in the end product, but I was expecting to have to chuck it out while I was mixing..

Did I just get a weird batch or do others find it smells.. odd?

refined coconut oil..

am I the only one who thinks it smells VEry chemically?

I got some the other day (Crede's) - thought it would be useful for things you don't want tasting of coconut, but jeez, it smells kind of like fuel or something. You actually couldn't taste it in the end product, but I was expecting to have to chuck it out while I was mixing..

Did I just get a weird batch or do others find it smells.. odd?

Just check with Crede - they stopped distributing a batch that had a funny smell (and I don't think they have started selling the deflavoured version after that again), so you may have one from a bad batch there and you may have recourse for a refund or exchange.