LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will repost my bread links:

http://fashionablefit.metromode.se/2011/09/30/low-carb-high-fat-bread-lchf-bread/

Remember I used creamed cottage cheese in place of the Quark

And the recipe for LSA:

http://www.craig.copperleife.com/health/lsa.htm

Hope the Htone recipe for the Oopsies is still on the cached pages.....

Here some inspiration: gone LCHF cold turkey this week after Sani and today starting out with a food fast - will try and make it to lunch so u lot all enjoy your bacon and eggs and creamy coffee K :)

Did one of the hubbers not download the entire thread into a single document?

Yes I do have word doc of LCHF ... it is updated until post 2545 17/18 May...893 pages//

Tried the oooopsies over the weekend. Came out great

My plan for this weekend with roasted garlic and cheese soup. Gonna be a cold wet cape.

Hi Francios,

Thanks for putting all the resource / info up there. Can I make a few suggestions / additions?

Near the top where you say "the diet suggests eating high fat and low carbohydrate foods." , can you add "and moderate protein". Too many folk think this is a high protein diet and worry about the issues with high protein.

To add to the shopping spots:

In Cape Town, source of grass fed beef, organic eggs, raw milk, real cream, etc = Gogo's in Newlands. http://gogosdeli.wozaonline.co.za/home

Under Twitter, possibly add:

Jimmy Moore

Diane Sanfillipo

Dr John Briffa

Dr Thomas Dayspring (cardiologist)

Yes I do have word doc of LCHF ... it is updated until post 2545 17/18 May...893 pages//

You are a legend....sir! :thumbup:

Edited by jcza

Roux1 - Disaster Master, thank you. The hosting company of The Hub should make you an offer for Disaster recovery Manager !!! Baie dankie !!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Awesome stuff. Just wonder if/how we can get it back into the thread? So disappointing to lose so much info... half of the value of the thread was seeing how everyone's n=1 stuff was changing over time as we learned as we went along. Makes people understand that there is not 'one rule for all'...

hows about you put the doc somewhere we can all get it (like Google Drive or Dropbox), and then each contributor can go in and copy-paste his posts here that they think are post-worthy?

Should be quick if each person skims through his own posts and just re-post the important ones?

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:30

snapback.pnghtone, on 23 April 2013 - 08:53 , said:

I am like that with carbs... my wife has a similar issue and she calls it her "carb worm" (mine's more like a carb monster).... if I start eating sweet stuff, I cannot stop.

I know all about that 'monster'. I call it my carb werewolf. Because when the sun sets is when it tends to wake it up.

I've fought the wereworlf for years. I have a mad sweet tooth that used to control me before I found the paleo solution. Now I control it (and the werewolf continues to sleep), but only if I stick to certain rules.

Any, and I mean absolutely any small amount of refined sugar during the day could wake the werewolf. But once the sun goes down, it's a certainty. When it wakes, it will be another evening of pacing to the kitchen, opening the fridge door and staring blankly at what's inside, craving syrup on toast, going to the pantry and opening and closing the door, and giving the car keys to the missus so that I don't get into the car to buy "just one little chocolate or magnum, I promise".

Even a mid to high-GI fruit like a pineapple or mango in the evening might stir the beast.

So when we make dinner, I make my vegies for the following day – I don’t eat them with supper. I'll steam a broccoli or cauliflower along with my pork casseerole, but eat only the meat and fat for dinner. I'll then pack my 2L ice cream tub lunch box with the rest of the fat/protein plus the steamed vegies for the next day.

The other rule to keep the beast sleeping is to eat before heading out to client meetings during the day (I’m in sales). If I head out on an empty stomach, I just might end up at a roadside garage shop buying a soft drink and a pie like ‘the old days’.

Luckily low Gi fruits/berries don't trigger any cravings for me, so I eat a lot of those during the day.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:10

snapback.pngDa Vinci, on 10 April 2013 - 01:11 , said:

Eish put in a kg / week to be lost and its quite a drastic jump down interms of what one can eat compared to what one must eat to stay stable. I think at this stage in the Sani2C training I can't afford to cut that amount of calories so will keep doing what I am doing and it must just come off slowly. Interestingly on weighless it wasn't difficult to shed a kg a week initially but clearly that is water weight mainly. Anything more than a kg and the calculator told me it would be bad for my health so it wouldn't work it out. Just rubs the point home that their is no quick fix.

+10000

Absolutely agree. As I mentioned before, as soon as I tried to force weight loss by cutting back calories too much, my weight loss stalled. At the same time I experienced an energy deficit/lethargy because my calorie deficit was too big.

I'm sure this is a story many people are living at the moment: trying to drop weight quickly (impatient) - body goes into starvation mode - weight loss stalls - loss of energy - force the issue more (i.e. cut even more calories) - have even less energy and zero weight loss - leading towards impaired immune system - frustration and depression now because "nothing is working" and performance is now suffering.

It's a tough thing to accept that maybe you need to start eating more in order to start losing weight.

It's a fine balance, but the best method - for me - is to keep the calorie deficit small but constant (ave. -500 per day over time).

But that also means ensuring a high quality source of calories and minimise 'junk' calories as much as possible at the same time.

One of my all-time favourites: homemade macnut butter with coconut oil.

The breakdown of this recipe:

Carbs: 13.4%

Fat: 76.3%

Protein: 7.5%

I don't eat bread so I just take a large scoop with a tablespoon (150 calories per heaped scoop).

I have a tub in the fridge at the office for the odd easy snack during the day. Also a convenient way to take on easy fuel before a long ride or a day out at sea.

I'm keen to hear the feedback from Dave re. that local MCT Oil product. It might be the perfect mixer for my macnuts - depending on how it tastes.

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:05

snapback.pngSniffie, on 18 April 2013 - 10:48 , said:

Advice please! Weight loss has stalled.

You might find a possible reason in this list:

17 reasons you're not losing weight

For me personally, 2 things worked:

1. Training totally carb-free was my answer. Took a few months of gradually increasing mileage each time on zero carbs (didn't rush into it). And not eating carbs directly afterwards as well.

2. Core work, etc. I Googled some of the basic pilates exercises for core work ('the plank', etc.) and added to my stretch routine on the mat in the lounge in the evenings. And added in some basic things like push-ups & pull-ups. Muscle work increases your metabolism so you burn fat quicker.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 09:01

Does your family buy into this?

I think someone posted some time back about the flack they’re getting from their family about their new HF diet. I know exactly what they mean.

I’ve had stand-up rows with the missus about my diet change – and also how it transformed my body. She believed I was obsessively following a new, unproven fad; that I was basically killing myself. She couldn’t handle seeing tubs of coconut oil in the cupboard or flaxseed oil in the fridge. The first time I made a fat shake it caused another fight. The biggest source of conflict was my progressive weight loss.

I steadily shrank in size from a 38 inch waist, 36, 34 and finally to a 32. While I was getting excited about my progress, including my big improvements on my bike, she was sulking with every kg I lost. Still convinced that I was killing myself, every time I asked her to reach an article from Noakes or an online post from one of the leading LCHF personalities, she would dig up her own stuff on the web about how bad coconut oil is for you, flaxseed, etc., and how bad a high fat diet is.

I once woke up in bed to the noise of a camera shutter going off. I had been lying on my side and she had taken a photo of my rib cage “to show me how terrible I look – like a starving death camp inmate”.

Slowly over time I’ve watched her attitude change though. She’s started to read my stuff a little more, has started to try and understand my diet and actually had to admit that I am getting in all my nutrients (I am still eating a helluva lot of quantities and varieties of food) and that there was no evidence of self-starvation happening. She’s now tossed out the skim milk, is using lots of melted farm butter on everything, coming up with delicious high-fat meals, and discussing about how to up her own fat intake. She’s not buying bread anymore and dropped all sugar from her diet.

On the beach on Saturday, she finally said to me that she has to admit that I’m actually looking really good these days in my boardies. The arguments have stopped. While she’s not going to be taking coconut oil any time soon (“Tom, that’s disgusting”) she’s finally coming on to my side.

Oh, and in the last month she’s dropped 3kg by just a few minor tweaks.

But when I visit the rest of my extended family I will still not make the mistake of letting the discussion turn to diet. I just side-step it because I don’t want to go through the mission of having to defend myself all over again. My weight loss is because of hard training, I say, and I leave it at that.