LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

I've been having some trouble getting new supplies. My local shop in Umhlanga had none at all on their shelves last week. When I asked they said "out of season". They thought there might be new stock within the next 3 - 4 weeks.

Woolworths also been out of stock here in CT for a month or so. Look for Roastwell in PnP, or Montague brand.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://authoritynutrition.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/meal-plan.jpg

Very true. Apart from a few things processed like Coke, a vienna or so, chocolate once a week almost everything I eat is natural. a year or 2/maybe even more ago bicycling/ride mag had a article about one of the teams in the TDF They had this thing about natural is better , quite interesting. I don'nt do bread, canned stuff,(though the odd tuna/salmon), provitas, crackers, processed meats, canned fruit , junkfood places don't see me.

Sniffie, here's a quote from the prof on what he likes. You see our macnut butter gets a good mention... :)

"I love protein in fish and meat but have had to curtail my protein intake because it causes havoc with my blood glucose regulation. So I am learning to enjoy high fat foods – avocados, eggs, bacon, olive oil, butter, yoghurt, macadamia nuts and macadamia butter, cheese – and vegetables and salads. Liver has become a favourite."

It's from an interesting Q&A discussion with Noakes on the Health Fanatic website. Read here.

Carb Free (<2g carbs) Pancake recipe:

40g egg

30g heavy cream

15g Mayonnaise - Hellman's is best

12g Ricotta Cheese

1g baking powder ... ok, recipe says 1g, I just sprinkle a bit on.

10g butter

Directions:

Mix all ingredients excl butter

melt butter in a pan on medium heat

pour batter into pan to form a thin pancake

cook on medium heat, flip over like a normal pancake.

sprinkle some cinnamon on it or wrap it around a sausage .... or just eat plain.

Anyone tried to crack a mac nut's shell? They are seriously bulletproof.

Down the south coast there are quite a few folks who cover their driveways with mac nut shells instead of gravel.

After a visit to Southbroom I made the mistake of buying a packet of unshelled mac nuts. Got home and tried to crack one. No chance! We've got a tiled living room floor with a carpet on top. I put a nut on the carpet and tried to crack it with a hammer. Not a dent to the shell, but I cracked the tile under the carpet. Hells bells! Never managed to eat one of those nuts - eventually just chucked them into the bush.

Use a Vice/vicegrip...of eet meer pap lol

Use a Vice/vicegrip...of eet meer pap lol

:D

After that experience I realised why they're so expensive all nicely shelled in a convenient packet.

Ok guys - I am on the border to quit LCHF.... Because of the previous thread being lost, I go through everything - sorry if it is long...

I have been eating healthy as long as I can remember, but use to be low fat, medium carb & high protein. Decided to try LCHF and Ive been on it for about 2 and a half months.

Using fat shakes and eating all the other natural options. I have the Ketostix and measure a deep purple 99% of the time. In general I like the diet and really feel good on it. No mid afternoon slumps or tiredness... I have also lost a lot of fat (but no weight)...

Now for the catch......: I cannot cycle on the diet. I know I need to get fully adapted, but I do not know if I can struggle any further. Did the Clarens Marathon earlier the year and just couldn't get going. FInished quite strong (after taking a gel) but in general couldn't get the intensity up. Tried hard and HR was in general very high but struggled most of the day. I however decided to stick it through and hope for an improvement...

Did the Hazeldean marathon yesterday (even though I had some FutureLife ahead of time to try and feel better). I ended up struggling even more. HR was high again but had no power and couldn't get going. Even after 2 gels... Ended up with a really bad time and beaten by my friends( I usually beat by 15-20 min...).

So after getting depressed about it I decided: I am going to let myself go I have a bit of a cheat day. Had 3 beers, mashed potatoes for supper as well as 2 buns... Decided to go for a quick ride through Groenkloof this morning - had a muffin and cup of coffee (with 1 sugar) beforehand and felt uber strong on the bike. All the weakness was gone and really had the power back. The same friends were with again and I could really see how my performance increased.

So I am frustrated and do not know what to do. Return to medium carbs, fat and protein / continue with LCHF / continue with LCHF but "carb up" the day before a race / try to adjust carbs a bit higher and keep to high fat....

I REALLY DONT KNOW!!! ADVISE PLZ...

Ok guys - I am on the border to quit LCHF.... Because of the previous thread being lost, I go through everything - sorry if it is long...

....I REALLY DONT KNOW!!! ADVISE PLZ...

Ok, some thoughts for you.

1. What you are feeling is NORMAL. I went through it and know of 2 others who did the same. Some folk adapt quicker than others, my real power only came back after around 4 months. It's a seriously frustrating period !!

2. In the meantime, stay away from gels, chocolates, beer and anything 'high GI' - rather get hold of some UCAN, it;s a slow release carb. Drink it ALL 30min before the start of the race and then stay on water for the rest of the race. I find one UCAN is good for 2-3 hrs for high intensity, then may need another after that. Also, try taking some hi-carb nuts (cashews) with you if you like to snack on the bike. A few of those wont kick you out of ketosis if take while riding.

Hang in there .... it WILL get better :thumbup:

I have been eating healthy as long as I can remember, but use to be low fat, medium carb & high protein. Decided to try LCHF and Ive been on it for about 2 and a half months.

Using fat shakes and eating all the other natural options. I have the Ketostix and measure a deep purple 99% of the time. In general I like the diet and really feel good on it. No mid afternoon slumps or tiredness... I have also lost a lot of fat (but no weight)...

Now for the catch......: I cannot cycle on the diet. I know I need to get fully adapted, but I do not know if I can struggle any further. Did the Clarens Marathon earlier the year and just couldn't get going. FInished quite strong (after taking a gel) but in general couldn't get the intensity up. Tried hard and HR was in general very high but struggled most of the day. I however decided to stick it through and hope for an improvement...

Did the Hazeldean marathon yesterday (even though I had some FutureLife ahead of time to try and feel better). I ended up struggling even more. HR was high again but had no power and couldn't get going. Even after 2 gels... Ended up with a really bad time and beaten by my friends( I usually beat by 15-20 min...).

So after getting depressed about it I decided: I am going to let myself go I have a bit of a cheat day. Had 3 beers, mashed potatoes for supper as well as 2 buns... Decided to go for a quick ride through Groenkloof this morning - had a muffin and cup of coffee (with 1 sugar) beforehand and felt uber strong on the bike. All the weakness was gone and really had the power back. The same friends were with again and I could really see how my performance increased.

So I am frustrated and do not know what to do. Return to medium carbs, fat and protein / continue with LCHF / continue with LCHF but "carb up" the day before a race / try to adjust carbs a bit higher and keep to high fat....

I REALLY DONT KNOW!!! ADVISE PLZ...

what is your motivation for doing LCHF in the first place?

BTW, I have heard some said that it takes up to 6 months to be able to train properly on LCHF. In the meantime I guess you have to train and race at a slower, fat-burning pace

I'm still struggling with my protein intake.

Protein foods for today included:

2 scrambled eggs for breakfast, at lunch I had 100g of tuna, and for supper 230g of hake. In between I had a protein shake with full cream milk too.

Yet myfitness says I only have 105g out of the desired 144g of protein.

I don't really have an appetite to eat more so I don't know what I am going to do about my protein.

Currently I got Evox 100 percent protein, but is very expensive. Any other ideas?

Ok, some thoughts for you.

1. What you are feeling is NORMAL. I went through it and know of 2 others who did the same. Some folk adapt quicker than others, my real power only came back after around 4 months. It's a seriously frustrating period !!

2. In the meantime, stay away from gels, chocolates, beer and anything 'high GI' - rather get hold of some UCAN, it;s a slow release carb. Drink it ALL 30min before the start of the race and then stay on water for the rest of the race. I find one UCAN is good for 2-3 hrs for high intensity, then may need another after that. Also, try taking some hi-carb nuts (cashews) with you if you like to snack on the bike. A few of those wont kick you out of ketosis if take while riding.

Hang in there .... it WILL get better :thumbup:

Thanks for the feedback - yip, I am really frustrated... I seriously don't know if I want to continue with it. I understand the time thing, but really don't know if I can continue like this for another 4 months...

Considering moving back to low gi carbs. I am putting in all the hrs and effort with the diet and training and I have actually gone backwards. The one thing that I however still don't understand is that in the week I don't really struggle to up the intensity, only seems to affect me on race days?

what is your motivation for doing LCHF in the first place?

BTW, I have heard some said that it takes up to 6 months to be able to train properly on LCHF. In the meantime I guess you have to train and race at a slower, fat-burning pace

Actually had various reasons... I enjoy experimenting and wanted to see how it works. The pinion that it improved health, wanting to lose a couple of kgs, improve cycle performance and Tim Nokes promoting it all played a role.

Wrt the protein, I use Evox whey. It is a bit expensive, but one gets a lot of servings out of one

I'm still struggling with my protein intake.

Currently I got Evox 100 percent protein, but is very expensive. Any other ideas?

Try biltong. Around 60% protein by weight. ie 100g biltong = 60g pure protein so you don't have to eat a lot to get the protein you're looking for.

Thanks for the feedback - yip, I am really frustrated... I seriously don't know if I want to continue with it. I understand the time thing, but really don't know if I can continue like this for another 4 months...

Considering moving back to low gi carbs. I am putting in all the hrs and effort with the diet and training and I have actually gone backwards. The one thing that I however still don't understand is that in the week I don't really struggle to up the intensity, only seems to affect me on race days?

Hi Eben, I have had the same experience, at the end of this month I'll have been on LCHF for four months. Did Hazeldean yesterday on water only, but also had some Future Life just before leaving home. I started off good and felt ok most of the time, but the last 10 kms were really tough, my legs just had nothing left and it felt as if I was in survival mode. I need to change my nutrition on the bike, I only had a 3/4 bottle of water for the race and that can be one of the reasons that I struggled to the end.

Hi Eben, I have had the same experience, at the end of this month I'll have been on LCHF for four months. Did Hazeldean yesterday on water only, but also had some Future Life just before leaving home. I started off good and felt ok most of the time, but the last 10 kms were really tough, my legs just had nothing left and it felt as if I was in survival mode. I need to change my nutrition on the bike, I only had a 3/4 bottle of water for the race and that can be one of the reasons that I struggled to the end.

Good to hear I'm not the only one struggling... The thing is, I KNOW my fitness is at least 15-20 min faster than I am doing currently. I don't suffer, just don't have any "Oomph"

Good to hear I'm not the only one struggling... The thing is, I KNOW my fitness is at least 15-20 min faster than I am doing currently. I don't suffer, just don't have any "Oomph"

I felt flat the last 10, just missed my target time of 3 hours, maybe next time!