Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Tumbleweed

"sorry kids....we cant go on holiday because i have to pay a fine for that cough mixture i took before the Sani2C"

steroids != cough syrup

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here is where the moral dilemma then kicks in.

@2 year ban and a fine.

let's ask if that is really the extent they need to go to.

Even hardened criminals will receive reduced sentences.

The fine is laughable, the UCI have more than enough of a budget for testing.

agreed - compared to the real crime going on, this seems ridiculous.

A better way of punishing would just be permanently banned from UCI sanctioned races.

On form today !

My issue is not whether a fine should be issued or not. It has nothing to do with being an amateur or a pro. Those are all different discussion points all getting blurred on here.

Having said that (and yes Stretch I did read the confession), if you take steroids you have to accept that there is a chance you will get caught. How many times have hubbers said some lessons are hard learnt. He did not expect to be tested as a backmarker, but he was. Well this falls into that category, a hard lesson.

This issue here is, he said he would take whatever sanctions come his way. Now that they are here, the tune changes. That is the issue.

Do you honestly think that test is going to clean the sport up? Are you going to think twice about taking med lemon or whatever you take when you sick just in case they test you at a race? I will say it again, this test has proved nothing

It's not like they charge the guys who have no problems for the tests either...

Imagine that - "We randomly drug tested you - you are clean - and here is your bill...."

Maybe you should just go into a hearing and tell your story. About how you're from the "souf" and if you don't have big guns you wont look kiff in your tapout shirt. I'm sure they'll understand.

Fine, it's in the rules... god help you though if they for whatever stupid reason decide to test you in the middle of the pack at the next MTN race and your cough mixture contains a stimulant.

Personally I think taking steroids and cough mixture for an illness are two very different things. There is a mechanism in the UCI / WADA rules for amateurs to take medicine. The TUE allows for you take medicine (if you are tested you can admit to it and that will be taken into consideration (basically you can take cough medicine as long as you have a cough))

Sure, in this case it definitely seem as if the steroids are pretty harmless, but where is the line between harmless and deliberate, and how is it policed effectively? If I come fourth as a 50+ year old master and miss out on a prize will make me pretty pissed off with the guy who came third on steroids, and in my mind he is no less guilty than the winner in the elite category, but to the general public maybe only came 103rd in the race so he should not have been tested?

But does that apply to Barry? He's not racing in UCI cats, so isn't a UCI licence-holder…

My understanding is that it does ... you have to have a CSA licence (even if it is only a temporary day licence) to enter a CSA sanctioned event so he does have a licence -- I may be wrong on that but that is my understanding. Getting the licence implies following the rules.

Do you honestly think that test is going to clean the sport up? Are you going to think twice about taking med lemon or whatever you take when you sick just in case they test you at a race? I will say it again, this test has proved nothing

Should I ever enter the Epic, and I am taking a little something for my sinus, then you bet your gluteus I will be confessing taking the stuff for my sinus to everybody on the start line. I would make sure every doctor, nurse and oke called Kevin knows that I am really gummed up and taking the sinus medication.

And do I enter the argus without reading the fine print, hell yes. I would be in BIG trouble if they stopped me for test, especially considering the alcohol limit in my blood. Am I taking a chance, yes. Would I take the life time banning.... ask me in the morning :whistling:

Edit:

do you think that the test on AC with that clen steak made the sport clean ?

steroids != cough syrup

no it does not - but it may still have resulted in an positive result and hence a ban and fine...The whole point is testing backmarkers is laughable. I dont give two flying f##ks if that oke next to me on the trail has balls the size of peanuts and arms and legs the size of a grazing python...as long as the okes that do anything professionally (or "professionally" at amateur level) dont

Edited by Stretch

Well here is where the moral dilemma then kicks in.

@2 year ban and a fine.

let's ask if that is really the extent they need to go to.

Even hardened criminals will receive reduced sentences.

Having just read that it is not actually a fine, but payment for the test, then yea, the "fine" is laughable.

As someone else mentioned, here is the test, you are clean, now here is your bill.

My understanding is that it does ... you have to have a CSA licence (even if it is only a temporary day licence) to enter a CSA sanctioned event so he does have a licence -- I may be wrong on that but that is my understanding. Getting the licence implies following the rules.

Thanks, Tim, but that goes back to my earlier question about jurisdiction. As a CSA licence-holder, shouldn't this have been referred to them rather than handled by the CSA?

bla bla bla bla bla.......

This issue here is, he said he would take whatever sanctions come his way. Now that they are here, the tune changes. That is the issue.

His tune never changed, the R25k is bullkak

I first saw this thread this morning, having not seen it before. This has been the most entertaining read I have had in a long time! It really has!

Mtbaaisklist (Barry) thank you for your honesty. It was very refreshing to read, and gives a lot of insight into how these drugs work and how long they stay in your system. That in my eyes should be a deterent to any cyclist or athlete competing with hopes of furthering their career in a sport.

However, you took the substances by your own admission, and the rules are the rules. My suggestion is this, surely you will be called to a disciplinary hearing before CSA? WADA/SAIDS? Surely there you can address the fact that you have admitted guilt, and that you will accept the fine, but seeing as it is not your profession and that you never had any claim to prize money, this fine should be wavered. I can understand the fine for a pro or an amateur, but in this case I personally feel a ban should suffice. I think the fine is (albeit the rule) uncalled for. Just my 2c

You were a naughty boy Barry! Now tell me, I am now in my mid sixties and struggle with Arthritis in my hands, will Decadurabolin help with this? (Please see the humour in this, as I would hate for you to be the estate agent we will be using for my sons home in Brackenhurst!)

The CSA service that checks for license only does a check to see if you have a membership or not - If you dont then you can buy a day license..and anyone can buy that..i.e. it does not see that you are banned and not allow you to buy a day license.

For UCI specific events (like the master world cup etc) then it checks to see if you have a racing license

unlucky with the fine mate, as for the argument about not being able to pay it..... don't know about that cycling is expensive, we all spend much more than we would like to admit, the travelling, spares, stage racing at 2k a day, bikes......etc.

the problem with the 25k in this case is ur not gonna see anything in return for it. start a collection on the hub, seems like ppl are divided on this 50% will help u while the other 50% will tell us why it wrong and post the rules for us again.

If u don't pay it whats the worst they can do? ban u for life.... not such a bad thing if u think about it.

@ MTBaaisikilist

During the course of reading this thread, you said you would happily face the consequences of your actions. Well those consequences are here, and I am of the opinion that you should still face them, whatever they are.

That being said, I learnt a few things through the various posts this morning. The fine seems not to be a fine at all, but a fee of sorts. That I cannot get my head round. As others have suggested, you should be a little more obtuse in getting an explanation as to why "the fine" exists and what they can do with it. Preferably not pineapples, since they do not go well on pizza (nor steak). Maybe mango's.

Am I correct in saying there is still another round of hearings? Maybe something will come out of that.