Dr Koos Roux hit & run suspect court date : 29 January 2014

htone

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just do not believe this sentence.  Driving away etc.   If ever it was clear cut.

Watch the Durban skollie walk after this.

Sympathy to the family.

We have no chance of a conviction against cyclists.

Surely your license should be suspended for longer than you are in jail? You cannot really do much driving in jail.

The 6 months should hopefully starts after his jail time. But then again, he's not actually a law abiding citizen that would not drive because you don't have a licence.

At least Karma has this guys address, and I have more faith in Karma than in our justice system.

• 2 weeks later...

From Scotty's post on Hot off the Press...

https://www.iol.co.za/capetimes/news/first-time-motorist-goes-to-jail-in-sa-for-fatal-cyclist-hit-and-run-11478632

This is actually good news. I still would however like to see that if you leave the scene of the accident that you should get additional sentencing this.

But it is a good start.

wait, so this is the first time ever someone has been jailed for hit and run?!

I would really like to see some real figures on where these cases end up.

wait, so this is the first time ever someone has been jailed for hit and run?!

I would really like to see some real figures on where these cases end up.

Mostly withdrawn / thrown out due to a lack of evidence, as is most drunk driving cases (mostly due to poor investigation by SAPS, and court rolls that is too long)

Mostly withdrawn / thrown out due to a lack of evidence, as is most drunk driving cases (mostly due to poor investigation by SAPS, and court rolls that is too long)

And most end up in some form of a suspended sentence or something as terrible as house arrest.

• 2 years later...

JAIL SENTENCE AS MERRICK WITHDRAWS APPEAL

We just heard that Geoffrey Merrick who was found guilty of culpable homicide after the death of Dr. Koos Roux has withdrawn his appeal case and will serve his three-year sentence in prison.

Merrick crashed into Dr. Koos Roux who at the time was cycling with his son on Bottelary Road, well within the road shoulder. Merrick then fled the scene. The police arrested Merrick ten days later when debris found on the scene matched that of his car. According to the authorities, Merrick withdrew his appeal which means he now needs to serve out his three-year sentence.

Merrick was found guilty of culpable homicide as well as three Road Act infringements. Sections 61 (1) (a),(b) and © of the National Road Traffic Act 93 of 1996, which states the following:

Section 61 (1) (a), “that the driver, must immediately stop the vehicle and report the accident;

Section 61 (1) (b) – ascertain the nature and extent of any injury sustained by any person; and

Section 61 (1) (c ) – if a person is injured, render such assistance to the injured person as he or she may be capable of rendering”.

This is the first time that a prison sentence has been handed down in a fatal hit-and-run incident involving a cyclist in South Africa.

According to magistrate Abdul Kader Jamalie, Merrick deprived the deceased of his right to live and the Roux family of a husband and a father. The magistrate added that Merrick was grossly negligent as he left the victim and his shocked son next to the road to fend for themselves. Mr. Roux might have survived the crash if Mr. Merrick had remained at the scene to assist.

87881230_2796646357089054_22761175577379

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fcyclistsstayalive%2Fposts%2F2796650673755289&width=500" width="500" height="595" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Edited by Hairy

Not sure if this is accurate Time wise or not ... a post from "Stay Wider of the Rider" 4hrs ago