Sailing

Witkop

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the cycling-cranking thingy - wth are they doing?

Hulle trek die fokseil stywer om beter vorm te kry sodat hulle beter boot spoed kan opbou

- ook om die giek in posisie te hou sodat die hoofseil sy werk kan doen

Edited by Ed-Zulu

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Jip, dis sy Afrikaanse naam daai, ook bekend as voorseil (maar dis gewoonlik die kleiner tipe op Schooners en Square Riggers).

I don't get the cycling-cranking thingy - wth are they doing?

From what I understand the boats have a hydraulic system for steering, foils, wing control and these guys have to pomp to store pressure. There are electronics on board as well, but those are probably battery powered.

Conventionally the pumps have been linked to hand powered 'grinders' but the boffs at ETNZ had an epiphany and changed to pedal power since there is more power in them leg muscles, The lads are also tucked down into aero position so less 'windage' - but remains to be seen how much an advantage all this really is

There are a few streams listed on fromhot.com

From what I understand the boats have a hydraulic system for steering, foils, wing control and these guys have to pomp to store pressure. There are electronics on board as well, but those are probably battery powered.

Conventionally the pumps have been linked to hand powered 'grinders' but the boffs at ETNZ had an epiphany and changed to pedal power since there is more power in them leg muscles, The lads are also tucked down into aero position so less 'windage' - but remains to be seen how much an advantage all this really is

Correct.

Yip. and they had to keep it quiet for a while so no one else sneaked their idea - this dude, NZ track cyclist got onto the team last year had to be super hush hush about it and only had his first ever yacht race the other day!

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/89504830/team-new-zealands-cycling-star-simon-van-velthooven-a-yachtie-at-heart

it also means that your hands are free to do other things(not that i think they are from what i can see). In the last cup, there were some big advantages to be gained, and aerodynamics was one of them - Oracle got better throughout the regatta (came back from 8-1 down to win 8-9) - http://www.cupexperience.com/blog/2013/04/ac72-design-ergonomics-grinding-stations/

Oracle also managed to sneak a bike onboard

http://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2017/05/oracle-team-usa-installs-cycle-grinder-on-boat-replicating-team-new-zealand-report.html

Still remains a bit contentious this whole grinding thing

Still hotly debated whether grinders should still be used or not on these type of racing yachts and not completely convert to electrohydraulic.

I sailed with an Italian group on a 1990 built 80ft maxi yacht where the grinders were still connected to ropes pulleys and gearing systems, with this hysterical Italian skipper cracking the whip. It was torture around the cans on a short course.

So guys, what do think after the first round? These boats are quite something to handle, and no margin for mistakes, but do they fly or what! 

Thing I dont like (and never have) about yacht racing is all the wanky protests, that's how one can win a race, but all is fair in love and war I guess, but these guys can get real mean, And how are those poker faces at the helmsman conferences LOL.  And guess who there asking questions yesterday (as he does) - David Walsh

https://youtu.be/aimY0BVt1Dg

So guys, what do think after the first round? These boats are quite something to handle, and no margin for mistakes, but do they fly or what! 

Thing I dont like (and never have) about yacht racing is all the wanky protests, that's how one can win a race, but all is fair in love and war I guess, but these guys can get real mean, And how are those poker faces at the helmsman conferences LOL.  And guess who there asking questions yesterday (as he does) - David Walsh

https://youtu.be/aimY0BVt1Dg

mmmm, ja but this is not 'ordinary' yacht racing!

I'm actually quite impressed by the Artemis/ETNZ decision (from Rd1). head umpire came out and said we made a mistake, but there's nothing that can be done about it now. Happens on the course, deal with it.

I think there are still gains to be made, so hard to really split the pack now. I do think that Artemis and ETNZ look the bizniz. And any one of the other 3 could end up facing the chop(BAR currently looking ok with their 2 point bonus from the pre series)

mmmm, ja but this is not 'ordinary' yacht racing!

I'm actually quite impressed by the Artemis/ETNZ decision (from Rd1). head umpire came out and said we made a mistake, but there's nothing that can be done about it now. Happens on the course, deal with it.

I think there are still gains to be made, so hard to really split the pack now. I do think that Artemis and ETNZ look the bizniz. And any one of the other 3 could end up facing the chop(BAR currently looking ok with their 2 point bonus from the pre series)

That's the thing about protests - mostly raised in an opportunistic way, and decisions can be wrong / unfair (and race changing) and cannot be reversed.

I wonder if they are doing drug tests on the guys - given that these boats needs lots of 'oil' and that's all human powered, these guys really have to produce the power, so incentive to take some goodies?

That's the thing about protests - mostly raised in an opportunistic way, and decisions can be wrong / unfair (and race changing) and cannot be reversed.

I wonder if they are doing drug tests on the guys - given that these boats needs lots of 'oil' and that's all human powered, these guys really have to produce the power, so incentive to take some goodies?

Surely they cannot need THAT much power? surely just make more efficient use of available power. should Just have Chris Froome on the back in a pod, constant 450w for 45 minutes

Surely they cannot need THAT much power? surely just make more efficient use of available power. should Just have Chris Froome on the back in a pod, constant 450w for 45 minutes

Its quite a big factor, races can be lost if the oil dips

The wing is constantly being controlled in many different ways (AoA, twist, ....) , so is the rake of the foils and rudder - the hydraulic system is quite efficient and the power budget is tight, there has been instances already where teams have run out of 'oil'

This is an interesting video that gives some perspective about the real power produced by a pedal power

Edited by kosmonooit

it's not just power, sure so ETNZ have got a former track rider in their team (Simon van Velthoven - got bronze in the 2012 keirin, behind Sir Chris) to take full advantage of having 'cyclors' powering the hydraulics. Quite a few olympic rowers have been drafted onto kiwi teams in the past to provide the grunt. For our own Shosholoza crew we had some rugby players and even a monster Senegalese bouncer/bodyguard.

BUT it's more than that. the okes are doing other jobs on the boat (ie. Iain Percy on Artemis is tactician), and you would have seen once BAR had issues with their cam lever how much the guys know about the boat and systems to fix on the water. The etnz guys actually have hands free too, and can really look around.