The 100th Edition Of The Tour de France: Chirps, Opinions, News, Updates.

'Dale

Pick the yellow and green jersey winners.  

305 members have voted

1. 1. Who will reign in Yellow?

• Froome Dawg (Sky)
    • Contador (Saxo Tinkoff)
    • A Schleck, Radioshack
    • Evans (BMC)
    • Uran (Sky)
    • Tejay (BMC)
    • Gesink (Blanco)
    • Hesjedal (Garmin Sharp
    • Valverde (Movistar)
    • J Rodriquez (Katusha)
    • Suprize package!
  2. 2. Who will reign in Green?

• Sagan (Cannondale Pro Cycling)
    • Cav' (Omega Pharma Quickstep)
    • Greipel (Lotto Bellisol)
    • Bouhanni (FDJ)
    • Goss (Orica-Greenedge)
    • Surprize package?

• Replies 5.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And may I just add that if Sir Bradley was watching yesterday he probably spilled his tea! I am willing to believe he is happy that he didnt start the Tour! Because if he had, and he had exercised his right as top dog at SKY, he would have lost minutes on saturdays stage, and yesterday he would have been ridden out of the top 20.

Another thing that I am enjoying is the aggresive nature of the boys from Orica. Clarke is a great talent, and he is not afraid to head the charge in his first Tour.

I also enjoy the attitude of Garmin, divide and conquer! Are they going to win the Tour? No way! But they sure are shaping it! Although I do wish Hesjedal would wear some different sunglasses! And I am glad Froome swapped those glasses that make him look like Skeletor for some fancy yellow shades!

Last year I was a big anti Sagan advocate. His yobbish behaviour just made me cringe. But, that young man is seriously strong. He is an unbelieveable talent. Cavendish stands no chance against him in the battle for green simply because Sagan is willing to go after every chance to grab points. As Cavendish sits and waits for finales, Sagan is solidifying his lead and I must say thats great racing.

I do think Cavendish will win a couple more stages, and yes he threw a fit the other day. But he is a tough little guy. In the last few years I have lost count of the number of times he has hit the deck, but almost everytime he is up and fighting again the next day. That deserves credit in my opinion.

I agree he was dropped early on but after chasing back (and nearly making contact) was told to save his energy and just cruised to the finish. He lost 7 mins on the descent which clearly illustrates the point.

Yeah, I think maybe SKY made a tactical error on Saturday by going all out to get the leaders jersey. All it has done is put the team under severe pressure and actually lost one very, very good climber.

Armstrong, for whatever he was, was a master tactician, he would never have done that, and if by default he got the leaders jersey so early, he was quick to dump it at the soonest possible opportunity. Personally I think SKY will try and keep the jersey now, but frankly I think it would be better if they gave it up for the week at least.

A bit like Bruce Fordyce and his formula for winning Comrades, which is still used and considered standard running lore, No one has really improved on LA's formula for winning the tour, and frankly SKY has been following this formula to perfection all the way up to Saturday, so I dont know, maybe they just got over excited by the day as it unfolded, but I doubt they will make that mistake again.

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

I wonder if it would not be worth it for Sky to NOT defend the yellow jersey at this early stage to allow the rest of the team a chance to recover especially if Froome is so strong?

​Yes, but for how long must be the logical question I guess. It seems only Froome was able to recover sufficiently after Saturday and the rest of the team were just not able to. Which of course begs the question, with a leader considerably stronger than the team how will they ever support him.?

Anyone have more detail on this? Is there perhaps and average length, gradient to be applied to the in betwen CAT'??

Stage 9 Details:

• Km 28.5 - Col de Portet d'Aspet (1 069 m)5.4 kilometre-long climb at 6.9% - category 2

• Km 44.0 - Col de Menté (1 349 m)7 kilometre-long climb at 7.7% - category 1

• Km 90.0 - Col de Peyresourde (1 569 m)13.2 kilometre-long climb at 7% - category 1

• Km 110.5 - Col de Val Louron-Azet (1 580 m)7.4 kilometre-long climb at 8.3% - category 1

• Km 138.0 - La Hourquette d'Ancizan (1 564 m)9.9 kilometre-long climb at 7.5% - category 1

Here is some numbers for the anoraks:

Sat final climb: Ax-3-Domaines (1.30km→7.85km = 6.55km, 8.17%, 535m). Chris Froome [67 kg]: 17 min 58 sec, 21.87 Kph, VAM 1787 m/h, 6.47 W/kg .

Sun climbs:

Stage 9. Col de Mente (7.0 km, 7.7 %): 21 min 17 sec, 19.73 Kph, VAM 1519 m/h, 5.49 W/kg.

Stage 9. Col de Peyresourde (13.2 km, 7.0 %). 39 min 54 sec, 19.85 Kph, VAM 1389 m/h, 5.15 W/kg.

Stage 9. Col de Val Louron (7.38 km, 8.35 %). 25 min 03 sec, 17.68 Kph, VAM 1475 m/h, 5.20 W/kg.

Stage 9. La Hourquette d'Ancizan (9.60 km, 7.67 %). 29 min 46 sec, 19.36 Kph, VAM 1484 m/h, 5.36 W/kg

You can see from the numbers that Sunday was not at the same intensity as final climb on Sat when Froome broke clear. What it did achieve was to get rid of the BMC challenge and all the other contenders lost time. The tactics yesterday did not seem to work out from Sky. Did they bring the right team? I think they are missing guys like Uran and Henao. However Froome wasn't in any difficulty but the alps are still come.

I do think Cavendish will win a couple more stages, and yes he threw a fit the other day. But he is a tough little guy. In the last few years I have lost count of the number of times he has hit the deck, but almost everytime he is up and fighting again the next day. That deserves credit in my opinion.

For sure. He's a champion and who cares if he throws his toys? He always apologies, he's got passion, he gives his team massive props, always a good word for good guys, congratulates winners and calls out idiots when he sees them.

That Quintana can climb. No doubt about it. There was a shot on the telly on saturday of the main pack as they ascended the second to last climb, and it looked like the road was near vertical in front of them as it zigzagged up through the trees and rocks. An incredible sight.

The fact a guy like Quintana can zip up at the speed he did was incredible.

My favourite moment was him passing Voeckler! Voeckler pounced on the wheel, managed a few turns of the pedal and was just as quickly shelled! Awesome to watch.

As was Rollands heroic effort to catch Quintana only to be shelled as quickly as Voeckler!

Would have been nice to see Quintana attack on the final climb instead of the former. Could have been interesting indeed.

Quintana sure can climb but does not look much like a cyclist (not that it matters, just saying)

Quintana sure can climb but does not look much like a cyclist (not that it matters, just saying)

Of course he can climb, the guy weighs 58kg. Watch him get eaten alive in the TT.