MTB: tubeless riders what extras do you carry

shadow1

Tube on Seat Pillar

CAMELBACK

3-5 Bombs (for the helpless on the route)

tire levers

repair kit (complete)

multi tool

leatherman

cable ties

duct tape

Races under 40-50km I carry 1 x 750ml, and i dont put bladder in camelback.

:cursing: makes me mad to see some guys carry all this **** and his breakfast lunch and supper in his back shirt pockets. shirt hangs almost on the back wheel..... :eek:

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here I am thinking I am the only oke that does that....saved my but a couple of times.

i learned the hard way, 45km into a 60km race, and the verdomde stans that was supposed to seal the puncture was all dried up in a nice big rubber ball. took me 15min to get the tyre off and put in a tube

Make sure its a "SLIMED TUBE" our Sani2c was ruined last year because We did not have a slimed tube , remember Your current tyre might be full of thorns , that are sealed by the current slime thats in Your tyre , So when You put a unslimed tube in the rim , You WILL NOT get that tube inflated as the thorns will penatrate the tube , and there s no sealant to seal , :cursing:

what slime do you put in a tube? same as in the tubeless tyre?

i learned the hard way, 45km into a 60km race, and the verdomde stans that was supposed to seal the puncture was all dried up in a nice big rubber ball. took me 15min to get the tyre off and put in a tube

Yea same issue different place...deffos carrying it always..

First line of defence...stan's does its job, seals the hole and I am none the wiser

Second line...I can see / hear there is a puncture...stop, putt finger over and rotate hole to the bottom of the wheel...most cases the stan's again does its job

Third line...hole is too big for stan's...get out plug kit, insert plug and bomb up. Tape over worm

Fourth line...Probably a very bad cut...insert tyre boot and tjoob, make sure there are no thorns or debris inside tyre that can puncture tjoob, take your time to do this...its your last match.

Fifth line...okay so boot is too small for the cut and the tjoob is sticking through cut....make do with what you have...banknotes, bark, tape, gel wrapper and maguyver a patch over cut...bomb up, nurse the tyre home. If you have a puncture now, call someone to fetch you...its not your day

I used to carry bombs but they solidify your stans - now have a small 90g can of special butane gas in saddle bag made for mtb tires - does no damage to your sealant and doers not leak once opened so connector remains on it till you need again. And it weighs almost nothing!

That plus tire levers, multitool, spare chain link, tjoob and small bottle stans for longer rides.

Edited by MONS

Races under 40-50km I carry 1 x 750ml, and i dont put bladder in camelback.

Ok, now I like this...

<30km I normally use a 750ml bottle and leave the camelpack at home, this then limits the spares I keep in the second bottle (bad idea as it rattles like mad).

I used to carry bombs but they solidify your stans - now have a small 90g can of special butane gas in saddle bag made for mtb tires - does no damage to your sealant and doers not leak once opened so connector remains on it till you need again. And it weighs almost nothing!

That plus tire levers, multitool, spare chain link, tjoob and small bottle stans for longer rides.

90g = "almost nothing" :ph34r:

I'm sure there are a few weight weenies that would argue.

Ooompie... dont forget 1 tyre lever

Lost the levers on day 3 when I was cursing & sweating trying to unjam the broken bottle cage from rear wheel - thx for reminding me

Wrap your tools in a rag. No rattle.

Tried that too, maybe not tight enough or enough "rag" to get all around them - it is nice having a rag to wipe your fingers etc after fixing a broken chain

90g = "almost nothing" :ph34r:

I'm sure there are a few weight weenies that would argue.

LOl - its lighter than 2 big bombs together... thats the easiest comparison. :blush:

Lost the levers on day 3 when I was cursing & sweating trying to unjam the broken bottle cage from rear wheel - thx for reminding me

Forgot to ask, what was eventually wrong with the drivetrain of yours on day 9...did you manage to sort it out.

LOl - its lighter than 2 big bombs together... thats the easiest comparison. :blush:

Bomb = 16g

EDIT: 29r bomb = 25g :ph34r:

Edited by jcza

Forgot to ask, what was eventually wrong with the drivetrain of yours on day 9...did you manage to sort it out.

New middle ring - sorted