Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

Yeah, I think I'm gonna do the same as you, skollie. Though I'm gonna go for the ps5 digital once the pricing has come down a bit. It's between that or a new PC. It's a 6yo AMD FX8320 that I'm running at the moment, which was slow before it got released.

I have all my games digitally on my ps4 so I like this offering.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bah humbug. My PSU just popped.

That is one of the worst things that can happen. I blew a 900w PSU not so long ago. Now it is not the problem blowing a PSU, it is to find a suitable PSU again. It was a pain in the butt to find a new PSU, and even though I have a new 650watt PSU now, I am not 100% happy with it. I am still shopping for a new PSU, but looking at the 80 Gold PSU’s and modular. I hate all the cables in my rig. That is why I run a NVMe to get rid of one cable in my case.

I am also waiting for new white sleeved cables. I hate cables and unsightly things in my PC Case

That is one of the worst things that can happen. I blew a 900w PSU not so long ago. Now it is not the problem blowing a PSU, it is to find a suitable PSU again. It was a pain in the butt to find a new PSU, and even though I have a new 650watt PSU now, I am not 100% happy with it. I am still shopping for a new PSU, but looking at the 80 Gold PSU’s and modular. I hate all the cables in my rig. That is why I run a NVMe to get rid of one cable in my case.

I am also waiting for new white sleeved cables. I hate cables and unsightly things in my PC Case

Ja. 80 plus gold is a must. 600w or so will do it

So, I am building a new rig for my 12 year old daughter. She is still using my old PC from 2011. 

Going with ASUS Strix E Gaming B550 mobo, Ryzen 3600 and 1GB Gen 4 nvme drive.

Problem is that I am struggling to get the components I want for the rest of the build. It is almost impossible to get a Corsair PSU. Wootware has none and they don't have any idea when they will have. Neither can I get the Phanteks case that I wanted, so I had to fall back to a Corsair case, which is the new 4000D Air case.

The whole stock situation is a total clusterfck.

As for consoles: we have PS4, but it is gathering dust at the moment. Nobody is using it. All my kids prefer gaming on their PCs. So I am not even gonna bother with the PS5 at all.

Edited by Moridin

So, I am building a new rig for my 12 year old daughter. She is still using my old PC from 2011.

Problem is that I am struggling to get the components I want for the rest of the build. It is almost impossible to get a Corsair PSU. Wootware has none and they don't have any idea when they will have. Neither can I get the Phanteks case that I wanted, so I had to fall back to a Corsair case, which is the new 4000D Air case.

As for consoles: we have PS4, but it is gathering dust at the moment. Nobody is using it. All my kids prefer gaming on their PCs. So I am not even gonna bother with the PS5 at all.

Stock is a huge problem all over the world. We can’t find quality notebooks. If we do get a batch we try to get as many units as we can.

What PSU are you looking for. Can maybe get one of our sales people searching for one or an alternative if you want to.

Edited by Cois

I deeply regret not getting the 3600 , went for the 1600 and its been fine but considering rest of the Pc just idles most of the time a better cpu would've been niice 

Stock is a huge problem all over the world. We can’t find quality notebooks. If we do get a batch we try to get as many units as we can.

What PSU are you looking for. Can maybe get one of our sales people searching for one or an alternative if you want to.

I 'might' have found a retailer that still have a Corsair RM750. Let's see if they actually deliver.

I 'might' have found a retailer that still have a Corsair RM750. Let's see if they actually deliver.

The RM750 is one of the best PSU’s out in the market. Will be the next PSU when I blow up my current PSU. We use them in some of our elite systems. Just reliable and rock solid.

Im the opposite these days. I used to go for the top of the line ROG gaming boards and PSU's.

Then on my last build I went with a normal desktop board and an unbranded 700W PSU.

Its been running for about 5 years without skipping single beat.

The RM750 is one of the best PSU’s out in the market. Will be the next PSU when I blow up my current PSU. We use them in some of our elite systems. Just reliable and rock solid.

Mine was an RM750... probably one too many load shedding issues over the years. 

My nas died. Kinda. It was non responsive for a week. At the time I wasn't too phased. I have numerous redundancies of important work files. And they're all all backed up to the cloud too. And decades of family photos are redundant across a few computers here at home. Then it mysteriously sprang back to life 2 nights ago. Going through the library, I realised how much of it I'll miss if this thing dies again. Remasters of old classics. Surf and mountain biking videos that are really hard to come by. Not to mention the music. Some of those mp3's I've literally had for more than 20 years and simply put. They would be impossible to get again. As a short term solution I bought a 4tb wd gold and am now I'm in the process of grabbing it all bit by bit.

But I want need a new nas. So I'm looking for suggestions that wont break the bank. For home use. 2 bay so I can run them in raid 1. The most important feature to me would be native Plex support that can handle a bit of transcoding. 1080p local lan streaming is a must but would consider paying a little more if 4k was supported at minimal extra cost. But not essential. I'm not really interested in streaming from the device online. The primary function would be to act as a single library source to all tv's, smartphones and pc's here at home. Being away from home however I would like to access my photo and music library online. Which I'm sure any nas can do these days. 

I've asked around and this is one area of hardware most gamers aren't too familiar with. 

I've been running a WD My Cloud Home device for the last 3 years. This is a bottom of the barrel nas solution but it worked really well for us here at home. All smart devices connected to the home lan are able to stream through Plex. Which is a convenience that's really hard to let go of. 

I payed like R3,500 for it about 3 years ago. And that included the preinstalled 4tb drive.

But the solutions I'm looking at now start at like R3k+ without any drives at all. Not everything has native support for Plex. And the ones that do seem a little more professional (and expensive) than what I require. Any network manne in here?