Calling on you gamers

Guest Kalahari ou

Went and got me a XBox One. For those who want to to get one make sure you have a high speed internet connection and a HUGE data cap.

6GB for most game updates. The one 360 game sucks a 24GB update to start working.

So my 50 GB FU policy is a definitive FU just to keep my game itch scratched

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Went and got me a XBox One. For those who want to to get one make sure you have a high speed internet connection and a HUGE data cap.

6GB for most game updates. The one 360 game sucks a 24GB update to start working.

50GB 'fair' usage doesn't sound very fair these days...

I can use that before breakfast on day one... :P

Go capped dude. I’m running a 200gb data account from vox at my parents place on a 4mb adsl. The data rolls over so there is around 1100Gigs there.

The pay 199 per month for the data. Most providers these days have capped data at the R1 per gig mark. You can manage your data way better and never get throttled.

Edit- personally I’m on a 100mb/s uncapped fiber with FU kicking in at around 1000gb usage

Edited by Jurgens Smit

This is the closest I'll get to an Xbox. An Xbox 360 controller that I bought for the PC, along with my previous purchase of games for the PSP. I was tempted to get an Xbox One on Black Friday, but with the idea of getting games for the Switch, and second hand games for the PC and PSP, I have to watch my budget, lol.

96649e0a9dd9dbccdb332e669ebb8596.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

50GB 'fair' usage doesn't sound very fair these days...

I can use that before breakfast on day one... :P

I'm on 660GB+ for this month. All on capped.

50GB is peanuts...

People still see internet usage as a precious commodity. Precious as in scarce, like water in WC. Actually internet should be more like air. Plentiful and (nearly) free

Edited by 'Kaze Pete

Just bought myself this little beauty..

http://creativecomputing.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/RD-K55655.png

:drool:  :drool:  Nice!!

Just bought myself this little beauty..

http://creativecomputing.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/RD-K55655.png

You should have asked here first, I'm sure we could have found you one where they picked a colour... :P

Jokes aside, where did you get that, it's pretty cool.

I am about to get reamed..... My PC has stuck a leg out the bed... :(

Long story short but it was stuck in a boot loop. Sent it in and checked it out and was told all was OK hardware wise but that the Windows boot files were corrupt (virus probably). Backed up data, formatted the drive and did a fresh install only to find out that the GPU looks like it died so we swapped from the dead 760 back to the old 450 and it was working fine. Then it failed to boot into windows... Sounds like it could be motherboard issues  :angry:

I have been pricing parts...  :(  At the very least I need a new board, CPU, Graphics card and RAM. HDD's will be reused as well as the PSU for now with the case. Currently running an Intel Gardendale board with an i5 3.0Ghz chipset and 8Gb RAM. It's done well for the past few years so probably reached end of usable life.

Any advise in where to start? It is a general household PC that gets used for gaming by the kids. NOT a gaming PC that gets used by mom and dad...

What I have noticed is that as soon as you add the word "Gaming" to anything, the price escalates quite considerably!!

Coming from somebody in IT, and having had my time in the 'PC master race' for gaming, I am going to make a very unpopular statement.

Have you considered a console and a cheaper PC for the general word processing you do on a day to day basis?

Good point, I arrived at this point by accident.

Also had a relative high end PC so that I can also play games but since I bought a console I haven't upgraded my PC in something like 6 years, it can still do all the word & excel stuff on the old PC. gaming on the console and the money I save by not owning a high end pc I spent on bicycles

I am about to get reamed..... My PC has stuck a leg out the bed... :(

Long story short but it was stuck in a boot loop. Sent it in and checked it out and was told all was OK hardware wise but that the Windows boot files were corrupt (virus probably). Backed up data, formatted the drive and did a fresh install only to find out that the GPU looks like it died so we swapped from the dead 760 back to the old 450 and it was working fine. Then it failed to boot into windows... Sounds like it could be motherboard issues  :angry:

I have been pricing parts...  :(  At the very least I need a new board, CPU, Graphics card and RAM. HDD's will be reused as well as the PSU for now with the case. Currently running an Intel Gardendale board with an i5 3.0Ghz chipset and 8Gb RAM. It's done well for the past few years so probably reached end of usable life.

Any advise in where to start? It is a general household PC that gets used for gaming by the kids. NOT a gaming PC that gets used by mom and dad...

What I have noticed is that as soon as you add the word "Gaming" to anything, the price escalates quite considerably!!

have your replaced the BIOS battery yet?

Good point, I arrived at this point by accident.

Also had a relative high end PC so that I can also play games but since I bought a console I haven't upgraded my PC in something like 6 years, it can still do all the word & excel stuff on the old PC. gaming on the console and the money I save by not owning a high end pc I spent on bicycles

I used to love fiddling with my gaming PC's, and then I got into IT professionally, and the console became the go to for gaming.

The nice thing with the console is that anything you buy is just going to work.

Coming from somebody in IT, and having had my time in the 'PC master race' for gaming, I am going to make a very unpopular statement.

Have you considered a console and a cheaper PC for the general word processing you do on a day to day basis?

This ^^

I got myself a PS3, along with a run of the mill i3 laptop in 2013, after my previous gaming rig, then got myself another gaming rig after my PS3 and laptop was stolen out of my flat - when, now that I think about it, I should've gone the PS4 route.

The current setup is by no means a gaming rig. I bought as high up as I could a few years ago so that I could run 3D drawing software at home and it handled the task at hand just fine. My eldest slowly got into gaming and it has been able to keep up with only the upgrading of GPU's every two or so years. Probably look at going the same route again. Would only be a few rand more than a console if I shop around.

If we switch platforms, it would mean a console purchase as well as a small PC purchase (Seeing as the current one looks like it is FUBAR) I think once you add those two together we are almost into the gaming rig territory...

Probably the biggest question is this: What about the Steam/UPlay/Origin accounts? A lot has been invested into games that the kids play online already. What happens when you change platforms? 

Would changing platforms mean that you now need to go and buy all the games again? Would he be able to still play online with his mates who are on PC's while he is on for example a PS4 or XBox One?

We have a PS3 at the moment. Have held off on the PS4. Some questions were asked about the XBox One as well at some stage. Could set up a console in the study connected to the existing PC monitor I suppose. 

Options....