I hate Punctures!!!

duanelr

Nothing worse than getting to your bike for a ride .....and your wheel is flat.

Toobless with lots of sealant :thumbup:

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to clarify, are you getting puncture's from the outside by thorns etc, or pinchflats? A little trick the trials riders use to prevent pinchflats is put about a tablespoon of baby powder in the tyre, it just prevents the tube from pinching between the tyre and rim,

Lol, a homeless tubeless conversion? Just search "ghetto tubless conversion" on google and youtube. Many articles on how to cheaply, quickly, effectively and easily convert your wheels to tubeless.

Let I explain..

It's known as "homeless choobless" by some. We don't have "ghettos" in Africa. Geddit? And yes, been doing it for a while now.... :mellow:

so insulation tape works? I was gonna give it a shot last night in my first tubeless conversion attempt, but decided to hold back. read that 3 layers works well...

def works..., i only used 2 layers..holding so far

Thanx all for the response! okay so i will do the tubeless thing! been getting punctures from thorns not so much pinch bites as i ride a very hard pressure! even with the slime in the tubes i still get punctures!! do i take the rim tape off before wrapping insulation tape?

Thanx all for the response! okay so i will do the tubeless thing! been getting punctures from thorns not so much pinch bites as i ride a very hard pressure! even with the slime in the tubes i still get punctures!! do i take the rim tape off before wrapping insulation tape?

Yes . It works better when removed , but use proper insulation tape , the stuff that got a bit of stretch in them .

Even better with duck tape! Did a layer of insulation and covered that with a layer of duck tape.

You cut the width of the duck tape to the width of the rim for a run long enough to cover once round! Presto! So worth it! Tubeless FTW!

Let I explain..

It's known as "homeless choobless" by some. We don't have "ghettos" in Africa. Geddit? And yes, been doing it for a while now.... :mellow:

I reckon we should call it a poorman's tubeless conversion

new tires. if you already have new tires, buy stronger tyres. I know they suck in terms of grip, especially on muddy rides, but I haven't had one puncture in 5 years running on Crossmark UST tyres. (i don't run them tubeless though)

So i think i'm cursed - i always get punctures! and it's making my rides soo unpleasant!

so i need the help of our hubbers... what can i do to alleviate the situation??

I've checked the following:

- im running mavic 325 rims, with proper rim tape covering all the spoke holes

- no damage to the rim (that i can see)

- high volume 2.5 tubes with mountain king 2.4 tires still new

- i had tire liner installed with slime in the tube (took the tire liner out as i was still getting punctures with or without the tire liner)

- there are no thorns/objects stuck in the tire

- i'm pretty sure it's not me damaging the tube when putting it back

- it only happens to the rear wheel

how can i ensure no more punctures?? tubeless is on my to do list but i need a remedy before saturday's usn race at big red barn.

any help will be much appreciated!

Just go tubeliss - problem solved!

There are 5 MTB's in my garage, and they are all tubeless. Will never run tubes again.

Okay so I read you can use any rim... Can i just gooi some duct tape, a tubeless valve, stans and a UST tire?

edit: is the 20" bmx tire really necessary?

Edited by duanelr

so insulation tape works? I was gonna give it a shot last night in my first tubeless conversion attempt, but decided to hold back. read that 3 layers works well...

You need new tires, not sure your mechanical work will solve that. I still have a brand new set of tubeless ready racing ralphs for your if you need them.