2014 Joberg2C

Wayne Potgieter

I've learnt from Adventure Racing, never assume the person you are following knows where they are going. :)

hehe, we called back two guys on day 1 of sani, as they bombed straight where it was clearly marked as a left.

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just find a guy with a 800 and hold his wheel or maybe you'll recognise stuff and know where to turn.... :ph34r:

HTFU

Find the Danish express and DONT LOSE THE WHEEL!!! :clap:

yoh yoh yoh....now I am definitely out....

Wasnt he pulling a bunch making them all p!ss blood and says that he needs a pee, so instead of stopping he pulls ahead like a train, stops a few 100m ahead, has his pee and rejoins the group and pulls them more :eek:

Wasnt he pulling a bunch making them all p!ss blood and says that he needs a pee, so instead of stopping he pulls ahead like a train, stops a few 100m ahead, has his pee and rejoins the group and pulls them more :eek:

Yea....we should have given him our bottles for the WP's.

Yip that is what he did, then just as we thought the pain was over Eldron came past & went straight to the front.

Yip that is what he did, then just as we thought the pain was over Eldron came past & went straight to the front.

Both on niners...I see a pattern :ph34r:

This I am not sure of, I have used my edge 500 a couple of times for exploring trails and it gives you very small breadcrumbs. Its fine if you are exploring but might be a ballache in a j2c scenario. I will try it over the weekend and give some feedback...might be pleasantly surprised.

I think if the .tcx file contains turn by turn directions, the GPS device should beep and give you an arrow pointing which way to go. Hopefully slightly in advance. I don't think you can create these turn-by-turn directions using the Edge 500 by itself, but if you export the data (probably a .fit file) to somewhere like http://ridewithgps.com you can add the turn points to the route, and then export it as a .tcx file with these cues. Problem is you it looks like you need to sign up for their premium offering to add these cues.

If you just save a course from one of your own rides you'll just see breadcrumbs.

I can't say i've explored this all fully myself. The best thing would be if anyone who's done the Dusi2c using an edge 500 could chime in. According to the Dusi2c website, "The only way you can follow the route is by using any Garmin Edge device or Bryton Rider 50 GPS with the very precise route map of the Dusi2c".

I think if the .tcx file contains turn by turn directions, the GPS device should beep and give you an arrow pointing which way to go. Hopefully slightly in advance. I don't think you can create these turn-by-turn directions using the Edge 500 by itself, but if you export the data (probably a .fit file) to somewhere like http://ridewithgps.com you can add the turn points to the route, and then export it as a .tcx file with these cues. Problem is you it looks like you need to sign up for their premium offering to add these cues.

If you just save a course from one of your own rides you'll just see breadcrumbs.

I can't say i've explored this all fully myself. The best thing would be if anyone who's done the Dusi2c using an edge 500 could chime in. According to the Dusi2c website, "The only way you can follow the route is by using any Garmin Edge device or Bryton Rider 50 GPS with the very precise route map of the Dusi2c".

Edgar might be able to help here....ping ping ping stu

You can create a route using Garmin connect which can then be loaded onto the device. I havent tried it, well I have sort of. Created the route, loaded it but then followed the wheel instead of the garmin

You can create a route using Garmin connect which can then be loaded onto the device. I havent tried it, well I have sort of. Created the route, loaded it but then followed the wheel instead of the garmin

Ja done that, you upload it as a course from a file....works well, but I only tried it on short courses...60odd km...and it was tough to follow perfectly due to the breadcrumbs....I must try it with like a long course...100km+

I'd hate to go and buy a dedicated mapping GPS for the race.

I wonder if a GPS mapping program on an Android phone (or iPhone for that matter) would be able to receive a .tcx / .gpx file and interpret the markers.

Is there a dedicated thread discussing GPS-dedicated MTB events? Seems to be a growing trend.

We are riding with our own black shorts. If money is not a problem, talk to Vermarc. I love their shorts, but their pricing I don't like so much, especially when I'm paying myself.

You might be surprised by the prices we can offer on Vermarc, both custom and well as shop collection. Drops us an email on globalexsa@mweb.co.za or call us 0766125495, on facebook and twitter @vermarcsa...Ask for Jonathan

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to get a solo entry but very overweight and unfit so I am going to have to get my A into G. (Lost 10kg already so on the way)!