Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Guys please remember... if you are going to cook a whole leg of lamb, PLEASE cut out the pituitary glad... that thing is SIFF when cooked.... and seriously alters the meat flavor for the worse... its the glad that gives the Lamb/sheep that heavy smell and oils the skin... not great when it messes with the meat!

on that note, for those of you who eat "the parsons nose" from a chicken, cut the two glads off there as well... those are the glads the chicken used to oil its feathers and are bitter as hell!! cut off before cooking!

dude i dont think a lambs pituitary gland is found in its leg unless it was hit by a truck and the last thing to go through its head was its arse!! you are right about the gland on the shank end but its not the Pituitary gland :eek:

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys please remember... if you are going to cook a whole leg of lamb, PLEASE cut out the pituitary glad... that thing is SIFF when cooked.... and seriously alters the meat flavor for the worse... its the glad that gives the Lamb/sheep that heavy smell and oils the skin... not great when it messes with the meat!

on that note, for those of you who eat "the parsons nose" from a chicken, cut the two glads off there as well... those are the glads the chicken used to oil its feathers and are bitter as hell!! cut off before cooking!

Can I assume that the Woollies leg of lamb has had this done already?

I'm pretty sure you know this already but thoroughly chill the dough and the butter before starting, then roll out the dough and only when that is done take out the chilled butter and roll that out. Place it in the middle of the dough (fold the dough over so there is one layer under the butter and two over it) then wrap in clingwrap and chill again for at least an hour.

Try not to touch the butter with your hands too much.

Repeat the folding process and then wrap in clingwrap and leave it in the fridge overnight.

The next day is when you get to shape, prove and cook them.

It's all about the chilling and the time. You can't shortcut anywhere on croissants.

Boom there it is....you see I chilled the dough but then never chilled it again, just left on counter. Also hands are all over the show....

You giving me pearls here, fanks :thumbup:

Can I assume that the Woollies leg of lamb has had this done already?

Yes, the deboned ones at least

I put a different spin on Weber and braai last weekend. I basically made a hot fire in my weber and braaied a few lamb tjops and a chicken flatty until they where medium rare. I put a bit of lemon juice over the tjops with salt while braaing. The flatty was basted. The idea was to brown them quite quickly. They need that burned crust almost. After this I transferred them both to the oven. The tjops in a bowl with a rosemary and olive oil basting and the pigeon to the rotisserie. I left them on 180 degrees for an hour. I also put some roasting herbs mixture in the oven which also gave off a nice fragrance.

I have to say the meat was uber soft whilst it had that braai taste. The best chicken I ever tasted. Tjops where softer than Rouxtjie's Ego when I passed him during our last MTB race :w00t: .

What when how???? liar :devil:

i always have the parsons nose - we always called it the popes nose as kids. i have never cut anything off it and never had a bitter one. must be done at the abbatoir? same with leg of lamb. you must be referring to the okes that 'slag' their own meat.

All I know is Mr and Mrs Rouxtjie put together a mean Sunday roast.

Mrs Rouxtjie's tatoe skins :thumbup:

Mr Rouxtjie's Melk tart :drool:

hehehehhe shot brother.... :thumbup:

If I am braaing a fillet, I start by matinading it whole in olive oil and soya sauce. This gives a hint of sweetness and a nice saltiness without drying the meat out. It then goes onto a very hot fire (still whole) and I sear the outside. Then it comes off the fire and I cut it into medallions. Back onto the fire and each medallion is cooked to order.

If I do rump / sirloin for the famdamily I also use the marinade as above. Braai one or two BIG steaks to medium rare. Then I slice the steaks into thinnish strips and place in a serving bowl on a bed of rocket. People then dish up exactly what they want from there. The wife, the kids and the old people prefer this to haveng a chunk of meat on their plate.

I am looking at one as well (EBUCKS + yuppie Chef!)

How do they work? Do you plug it in or do you put it in a fire?

It works like a webber. You make a fire in it - under the stone. Once you have learned to drive it properly - it works very well.

Edited by fork joe

Glands? You're not talking about the "oysters", are you?

Edited by Tumbleweed

Glands? You're not talking about the "oysters", are you?

I doubt it, those oysters are the best part of the chicken.

dude i dont think a lambs pituitary gland is found in its leg unless it was hit by a truck and the last thing to go through its head was its arse!! you are right about the gland on the shank end but its not the Pituitary gland :eek:

Yeah, that was a fail on my part- not a Pit glad- cant remember it now... but its an Oil glad and give that pungent smell.

No, it is not done at the abattoirs... you would have seen the cut in the leg if it has been done....