Vasbyt!!!!!

Eddy Gordo

Sorry, not been aware of the story I dont quite understand, did he go over the bars and land on his head.? sort of similar to diving into a pool with no water.?

Terrible accident for such a young man, gives me cold shivers.

No one saw the accident but the account from his friend riding behind him is that he was too slow for the step down on the trail and landed front wheel first. He would have been ok if he had fallen there but from what we ca deduce, he must have stayed on the bike for the 5 meters down on the trail and eventually was thrown from the bike into a rock on the side of the trail, head turned to the right. The impact on the helmet showed his head was turned.

I assisted by closing the trail. Although a bike was already placed across the entry. Not much else I could have done, I was certainly not going to move him.

A complication came in down at the gate. The key was given to one of his mates but broke off in the lock. I had to eventually saw through the mechanism for the ambulance to enter. Parks were on top form, while finding a saw they were prompt to drive the medics up on the 4x4 route and later bring a medic down to fetch the ambulance when the gate was opened.

Shame, this guy was in pain. Could see it in his eyes.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No one saw the accident but the account from his friend riding behind him is that he was too slow for the step down on the trail and landed front wheel first. He would have been ok if he had fallen there but from what we ca deduce, he must have stayed on the bike for the 5 meters down on the trail and eventually was thrown from the bike into a rock on the side of the trail, head turned to the right. The impact on the helmet showed his head was turned.

I assisted by closing the trail. Although a bike was already placed across the entry. Not much else I could have done, I was certainly not going to move him.

A complication came in down at the gate. The key was given to one of his mates but broke off in the lock. I had to eventually saw through the mechanism for the ambulance to enter. Parks were on top form, while finding a saw they were prompt to drive the medics up on the 4x4 route and later bring a medic down to fetch the ambulance when the gate was opened.

Sheesh man, just terrible,........as I said "Gives me cold shivers".

Never nice to hear stories like this. He'll be in my thoughts & prayers. I always try to ride knowing that I have a family to return to. This normally curtails any form of heroism on my part .

Be careful out there. Makes me sad that someone falls just that little bit worse than most of us do often and this is the result. Such a fine line.

Shaite. Damn dude, not cool. Hope he has a good support structure in place, and his work had group risk benefits...

Interesting you should mention that! i'll be VERY curious to see how they treatthis case...will it be reagrded as adangerous sport...like paragliding? if so, then no pay out!! That is why i stopped with paraqgliding - the risk of injury is not covered via normal policies...

Guest Omega Man

Interesting you should mention that! i'll be VERY curious to see how they treatthis case...will it be reagrded as adangerous sport...like paragliding? if so, then no pay out!! That is why i stopped with paraqgliding - the risk of injury is not covered via normal policies...

Yoh! don't say stuff like that.

I'm not familiar with Vasbyt as I'm still new to proper trail riding, but is the stepdown you refer to the part with the big roots that form a bunch of steps?

If so, and by the sound of it he was going too slow, the accident was a bit of a freak to have such severe injuries from a basic endo?

Or was it a proper jump that he hit too slow?

Guest Omega Man

I'm not familiar with Vasbyt as I'm still new to proper trail riding, but is the stepdown you refer to the part with the big roots that form a bunch of steps?

If so, and by the sound of it he was going too slow, the accident was a bit of a freak to have such severe injuries from a basic endo?

Or was it a proper jump that he hit too slow?

It wasn't on Vasbyt. There's a step down jump on the DH track into the quarry at the bottom just after the corner on the long boring road up

It wasn't on Vasbyt. There's a step down jump on the DH track into the quarry at the bottom just after the corner on the long boring road up

Oh sorry, I forgot that I read that earlier. Nevermind then.

Cassie, I assume you mean insurance policies like disability / Life etc.? Not sure.

If so many insurances still cover hazardous sports, you usually just have to disclose it and possibly pay a slightly higher premium. I am surprised your insurer didnt want to cover paragliding, was this a common refusal or just from your one insurer.?

I scuba dive a lot and its definitely classed as a hazardous sport but as long as I have proof I am "licensed" to dive, stick to the standard schedules etc I remain covered, but yeah, I dont know, but I doubt M/ Biking is classed as a hazardous sport so you are right, maybe it will cause insurers to be a little more cautious on their policies in future.

I heard of this incident yesterday, a friend of mine's buddy.

I ride that part often and NEVER think of getting this type of injury. A real eye opener for me. So sad to hear once again...

What time did this happen? Was it on the new step down that we built last week? I was coming down there on Sunday morning and saw a couple of guys on DH bikes that I hadn't seen at tokai before.

I heard of this incident yesterday, a friend of mine's buddy.

I ride that part often and NEVER think of getting this type of injury. A real eye opener for me. So sad to hear once again...

By the sound of it he is not a regular mountain biker, certainly not a DH'er.. was there with friends.

Some of the protective kit on the other riders was quite impressive to put it mildly. When someone dressed like that hands you a full face lid, it is not expected that you will be riding up a hill for the view.

What time did this happen? Was it on the new step down that we built last week? I was coming down there on Sunday morning and saw a couple of guys on DH bikes that I hadn't seen at tokai before.

No. When I arrived they were riding that section.. sessioning.

This is the Quarry entry that was built for the 2012 DH event that saw 585 practice runs before the race run. (I did some calculations based on the 72km of shuttling I did that day.)

ed: happened at about 2pm, right Omega Man?

Edited by Pain or shine

Sorry, not been aware of the story I dont quite understand, did he go over the bars and land on his head.? sort of similar to diving into a pool with no water.?

Terrible accident for such a young man, gives me cold shivers.

Exactly that, grumps.

Endo, turned into rolling stoppie and over the bars into a rock head first. Side on impact.