CSA / PPA. The Heat is on

madmarc

PPA got my vote . Like somebody already mentioned , just look what they are doing for the cyclists in that area !! CSA is only concerned about the pro riders and does F-all for the other 99% of cyclists in the country .

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad, but everyone knows that CSA wants PPA's 1) Money, 2) organisational ability, 3) credit for Argus. They just don't like being a sick little fish in a pond built by a private organisation in the Cape.

There was a thread last year some time when the PPA matter first surfaced. Does anyone remember it as it very much pointed to the cash flush position of the PPA and the fact that they were not prepared to share this with the CSA. Or something like that....

Well, someone has to help the CSA fund its extensive club-level efforts in getting good skills on the ground for coaching and guidance of newcomers to this growing sport. And who pays for those nice club manuals and guides? And what about that nice, laminated list of forbidden substances cross-referenced to common over-the-counter medications, updated and forwarded to clubs each year. Who pays for that little bit of life and medical cover at sanctioned races they offer in return for each race's contribution to their fiscus?

Who pays for that roving coach that visits clubs on Saturday mornings to show newbies how to work in a paceline?

Someone has to pay for it.

EDIT: This sarcasm. Yes, I know it is the lowest form of wit and all that....

I hate those dipshits. The most pathetic manifestation of their ill-applied waste of our money has to be that case where finisher number 3XX in The Epic got zapped for something innocuous that wont make him faster.

Edited by Johan Bornman

Well, someone has to help the CSA fund its extensive club-level efforts in getting good skills on the ground for coaching and guidance of newcomers to this growing sport. And who pays for those nice club manuals and guides? And what about that nice, laminated list of forbidden substances cross-referenced to common over-the-counter medications, updated and forwarded to clubs each year. Who pays for that little bit of life and medical cover at sanctioned races they offer in return for each race's contribution to their fiscus?

Who pays for that roving coach that visits clubs on Saturday mornings to show newbies how to work in a paceline?

Someone has to pay for it.

Not me !!! I want cycle lanes , bike parks ............

How so has PPA had it easy???? in my personal opinion they done more for cycling in WP than any other cycling body. They represent over 17000 cyclists, and why would you believe that CSA has the right to sanction a race that actually created the PPA. It sounds more like they trying to hyjack the ARGUS because there would be huge sanctioning fees involved. CSA have been their own worst enemy, they have never been able to get their house in order and a lot of money (our money) has been squandered and stolen over the years by people working for them. This is public knowledge

I'm all for having a governing body in any sport, but why did they go create a new one to take over a perfectly good one that knows what they doing. surely someone must have known there would be ***.

It's like being married, and you come home and find some oke has moved into your home and takien over your house and family insisting that your wife must sleep with him.

It's like a black ladies left breast. ït ain't RIGHT and it ain't FAIR

Now i'm gonna be called a racist i suppose

"17 000 cyclists" really? I dont see 17 000 cyclists at every funride the PPA host, actually ive never see close to that amount. And yeah, the PPA have done quite a bit for the guy/girl that gets on his bike for the first time on the saturday morning and then does a funride on the sunday. But im not sure if you race or have raced one of their Spring Leagues or Summer Leagues but you have to pay Over a grand for the whole league and you get something like 5 or 6 races and then if you win you get a R200 gift card for Canal Walk, please tell me how that is building competitive cycling in South Africa or the Western Province. Our guys never never make it overseas bwcause they dont have the backing of the government, which is CSA admittedly but now youre saying that CSA should let the PPA take hold of the steering wheel but do you really think the PPA an organisation that has a bank balance going into the millions and has prize money of R200, will help South African cycling anymore than the CSA currently is?

"17 000 cyclists" really? I dont see 17 000 cyclists at every funride the PPA host, actually ive never see close to that amount. And yeah, the PPA have done quite a bit for the guy/girl that gets on his bike for the first time on the saturday morning and then does a funride on the sunday. But im not sure if you race or have raced one of their Spring Leagues or Summer Leagues but you have to pay Over a grand for the whole league and you get something like 5 or 6 races and then if you win you get a R200 gift card for Canal Walk, please tell me how that is building competitive cycling in South Africa or the Western Province. Our guys never never make it overseas bwcause they dont have the backing of the government, which is CSA admittedly but now youre saying that CSA should let the PPA take hold of the steering wheel but do you really think the PPA an organisation that has a bank balance going into the millions and has prize money of R200, will help South African cycling anymore than the CSA currently is?

bank balance going into the millions? - yes, apparently they have a very healthy bank balance, according to a reliable source on this forum.

league prize money has absolutely nothing to do with PPA.

to all the csa bashers .......if only u really knew what is going on.

simple, just replace the csa with the ppa. then what?

the ppa is only in CTown.

do they have provincial champs? no

do they have national champs? no

do they award provincial colours for road,track,mtb? no

do they organise any cycle event? No

do they send representative team o/seas? no

do they coach / train teams, individuals?no

are they affiliated to provincial or national association? no

the PPA, make use of cyclists to raise funds for various benefactors other than cycling.period. if you'r happy with that then so be it. don't moan when our representative teams have to pay their own way to compete o/seas.

Edited by ccc2

bank balance going into the millions? - yes, apparently they have a very healthy bank balance, according to a reliable source on this forum.

league prize money has absolutely nothing to do with PPA. YES IT DOES

There is a rumor that CSA borrowed a large some of money from PPA. How true this is I don't know but if it is then PPA can't be doing too bad money wise. It is just a pity that 2 governing bodies wants to fight it out in court spending large sums of money which could have gone towards the development of cycling

both organisations do a really lot of good work for the sport. and they both need each other. the ppa can't operate in a vacuum. the csa want them to be part of the sport's structures. as an affiliate looking after recreational cycling. just like running each participant in an event should be licensed thru a club/association/or whatever. if you are not licensed then u take out a day license. at the moment it is a free for all. i can put on an event tomoro with no road permission, event permission, no ambulance, no liability cover. but i don't becos i'm affiliated to wpca and their rules stipulate i must get all of the red tape out of the way, to cover their arse,my arse and your arse.

Edited by ccc2

PPA should simply become an affiliate of Western Province Cycling and pay their nomal dues as any other club/affiiate would do thus ensuring that CSA cannot take control of any event they host with the exception that they woud have to pay CSA the normal fees as per requirement for events they host. We all know PPA is the cash cow that was keeping CSA on the go at some stage.

PPA should be seen in the same light as Comrades Marathon Association running the Comrades under the KZN banner and Two Oceans committee running the Two Oceans underWertsern Province Athletics who all belong to CSA.

Thus PPA as and affiliate of WP Cycling who inturn are registered with CSA. CSA then has no right to control what PPA does as it is an affiliate of WPC and follows their rules and regulations.

A few years ago ASA tried same trick with Comrades and Two Oceans.

Just read on their website where they claim 18000 members. I live in Gauteng and when I go down to Cape Town I see a lot more progress and development for cyclists as far as safety and cycling lanes go. I think PPA has a lot to do with this. PPA also seem to be very open with how they conduct themselves, and i'm sure their fiscal discipline is beyond reproach. Yes they have a large bank account i'm sure, but so what!! they been around since 1976 and have the largest timed cycling event in the world as an income generator. there's nothing wrong with that. If you think PPA prize money sucks then tell me how much do CSA contribute to prize money on there so called sanctioned events.

Just read on their website where they claim 18000 members. I live in Gauteng and when I go down to Cape Town I see a lot more progress and development for cyclists as far as safety and cycling lanes go. I think PPA has a lot to do with this. PPA also seem to be very open with how they conduct themselves, and i'm sure their fiscal discipline is beyond reproach. Yes they have a large bank account i'm sure, but so what!! they been around since 1976 and have the largest timed cycling event in the world as an income generator. there's nothing wrong with that. If you think PPA prize money sucks then tell me how much do CSA contribute to prize money on there so called sanctioned events.

Okay fair point that the CSA dont really put on many events. So youre saying that because they have "17000 or 18000" members and has been around for 37 years they almost have the right to do what they want an ultimately take over CSA's job in the running of cycling in South Africa?

Let me quote from someone else and this should probably be the end of it.

"to all the csa bashers .......if only u really knew what is going on.

simple, just replace the csa with the ppa. then what?

the ppa is only in CTown.

do they have provincial champs? no

do they have national champs? no

do they award provincial colours for road,track,mtb? no

do they organise any cycle event? No

do they send representative team o/seas? no

do they coach / train teams, individuals?no

are they affiliated to provincial or national association? no"

So essentially theyre a cycling club just like Wannabees, City Cycling Club, Outriders and what clubs you have in Gauteng but they have a bigger bank balance, "18 000 members" and wait the best thing is theyre not even affiliated to any cycling association.

PPA should simply become an affiliate of Western Province Cycling and pay their nomal dues as any other club/affiiate would do thus ensuring that CSA cannot take control of any event they host with the exception that they woud have to pay CSA the normal fees as per requirement for events they host. We all know PPA is the cash cow that was keeping CSA on the go at some stage.

PPA should be seen in the same light as Comrades Marathon Association running the Comrades under the KZN banner and Two Oceans committee running the Two Oceans underWertsern Province Athletics who all belong to CSA.

Thus PPA as and affiliate of WP Cycling who inturn are registered with CSA. CSA then has no right to control what PPA does as it is an affiliate of WPC and follows their rules and regulations.

A few years ago ASA tried same trick with Comrades and Two Oceans.

Just then look at WP Athletics to see what really happened when the mother body started to own/control everything. It is a power and money thing, nothing else.

PPA and CSA: The way forward

In February 2012, CSA wrote PPA out of its constitution despite PPA being granted entrenched rights in perpetuity in CSA’s founding constitution of 2004; PPA having been a primary motivator for unification prior to 2004.

Amongst others, the CSA founding constitution granted PPA the rights to register our members and run our affairs as we have done since PPA was formed some 30 years ago, including the right to coordinate our funride calendar without requiring pre-approval or sanctioning from CSA.

Since February 2012, PPA has been trying to resolve the issue with CSA through various meetings, emails and other forms of communication, with no forward movement on the matter. In an attempt to finalise the matter, PPA has now filed an application in this regard with the High Court of South Africa.

“We are concerned that cyclists, and cycling as a whole, will be penalized through the lack of finalization of the current situation,” said PPA Chairman Steve Hayward. “We again want to reiterate that PPA did not ask to leave the CSA fold, and are resorting to legal means since all other attempts to resolve the matter have been unsuccessful. We simply want to continue as we have done since 1976, promoting cycling and the rights of cyclists in various ways.”

The founding affidavit can be found at this link.

The Notice of Motion can be found here

This was on the PPA website. It seems they have a historical precedent from when CSA was formed, it will be interesting to see if a Judge upholds that precedent.