2013 Trans Baviaans 24 hour - Questions

zafischerman

LCHF is definitely the way to go for me. After 6 months of experimentation and trial and error I finally felt things in training and nutrition come together. I road the TB on only water in my bottles, a "trail mix" of kaiings, nuts and biltong with a few dates thrown in to fuel the furnace. I had 2 bananas at the waterpoints as well as 2 sosaties. 10:51; almost 5 hours better than my previous time.

Wow. Well done!!!

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LCHF is definitely the way to go for me. After 6 months of experimentation and trial and error I finally felt things in training and nutrition come together. I road the TB on only water in my bottles, a "trail mix" of kaiings, nuts and biltong with a few dates thrown in to fuel the furnace. I had 2 bananas at the waterpoints as well as 2 sosaties. 10:51; almost 5 hours better than my previous time.

Wow. Well done!!!

Also did a 12hr19. Could've easily broken 12hrs but my partner had cramps from the 60km mark already! Nursed him all the way home. What an epic ride!

Interesting stuff.

Do you mind me asking what your avg heart rate was ?

And do you know what your threshold heart rate is ?

How have you found training/racing when operating at higher intensities of 2 hours or more ?

12:19.....

Was looking for a 11:30, but my partners free-wheel body disintergrated 30km in!

Hey,hey, the Good Doctor! Who did you ride with this year?

Almost wish i was back on the bike, eish 1100km of driving home to go. Great race, nice and fast the track this year

We had a awesome race . 20:32 hours later we crossed the line . Picked up a lot of single riders at water points that joined us . Nancy I hope you better , did not look to strong at CP 4 . We did get your partner to the next cp .

Our first Transbaviaans

I started cycling in December when I bought my first bike, Transbaviaans was always on my bucket list, so 9 months thereafter we did it.

Me and my partner crossed the finish line at 16h44min, what a awesome race. My partner already started cramping from 130km into the race and we had to stop multiple times for the cramps to subside and I was just feeding him cramp blocks, the last 30km's his cramps were gone and then it was game on again.

As we saw the lights of Jeffreys bay in the far from the mountains the ice cold wind and rain started, just made the whole race a bit more difficult. Definitely next year again (I want my shield)

Well done to all that finished, what a awesome experience.

We had a awesome race . 20:32 hours later we crossed the line . Picked up a lot of single riders at water points that joined us . Nancy I hope you better , did not look to strong at CP 4 . We did get your partner to the next cp .

After all these years, nice meeting you and thanks for the ride, your team was a great bunch, cheers.

This will get a special place at home.

Got mine 2 years ago. 3 more to go and I get my 2nd. :thumbup:

This will get a special place at home.

That is my next goal, well done that looks awesome

Edited by Dom the Don

One thing Azonic has mentioned before is that your Tummy gets really unhappy with all the junk food.

Energade,goo,wine gums,energelly`s,sosatie made my gut very sore,at Kondoma I switched to water only --and felt better right away.

2 Waffels at Zuurbron sorted me out.

If...........................................................I ride again next year its water for me.

PS nearly rode past Kondoma expecting the checkpiont at Pakhuis well if you dont go to the riders briefing thats what happens,but the Battery charging sign there confused us.

One thing that really saves you is making fast stops we passed many teams in checkpionts wasting time and never saw them again.

One thing Azonic has mentioned before is that your Tummy gets really unhappy with all the junk food.

Energade,goo,wine gums,energelly`s,sosatie made my gut very sore,at Kondoma I switched to water only --and felt better right away.

I just wish I could follow my own advice regarding the food but I step into the same trap every year - even though my food wasn't that outlandish. Ate a few Salti-Crax for the salt content, small pack of jellybabies, raisins and peanuts. Still, I had to have my traditional purge on top of Bergplaas. Also felt better after that. I think it probably comes down to that food, PLUS liters of energy drink in your stomach. I think if you eat decently, water only should be fine.

Our actual riding time was 10:44, and the time at the finish was 12:26. So even though you think you are hustling it at the checkpoints, like we thought we did, you still spend over a hour and a half faffing...