Bicycle Lights too Bright?

Caerus

i know they test your lights (car) during roadworthy, to check if they are bright enough but don't know if there are any limits on how bright they are allowed to be. maybe ask one of the road traffic act experts on the forum to enlighten us (i'm to lazy to go read the act)

In a car 55/60 halogen globes are legal but not 90/100 and 90/130

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 1600 lumen magicshine light (forget the model), and my friends often say that when I come up behind them, even on a not so bright setting, they think it's a car coming. Whilst it's quite funny to watch them panic for a second or two, I do think it's quite dangerous as their reactions and subsequent evasive action could cause accidents.

Now they are pretty much used to the light, but I'm always a little nervous when riding with people who are not expecting me to come up behind them with a light so bright.

Funny how most cyclists tend to over-invest in front white lights and under-invest in back red lights.

On that point, can anyone recommend a good red tail light. I would like to upgrade mine.

On that point, can anyone recommend a good red tail light. I would like to upgrade mine.

Any of the Blackburn Flea range, they do some really nice lights at reasonable prices. There was also a hubber that had some nice rear lights with the side laser option at a good price

Edit: found it: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/50544-rechargeable-5-led-laser-bicycle-tail-light/

Edited by Bobbo_SA

I need to get new rear lights this weekend, I need another two at least, currently running two at the moment. I wanna be a Xmas tree on the road

there is an 'uber here that sells a very neat rechargeable rear light. VERY bright rear red flashing. etc.I can recommend him...great service (i bought 2 sets).

Any of the Blackburn Flea range, they do some really nice lights at reasonable prices. There was also a hubber that had some nice rear lights with the side laser option at a good price

Edit: found it: https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/50544-rechargeable-5-led-laser-bicycle-tail-light/

yep....that was him!!!

Usb rechargeable lithium batt..no need for buying batts...ever!

Oft times, way to f'ing bright.

Car lights have deflectors internal to the lamp to ensure the normal beam is skewed to the left, aka not blnd drivers on the left.

The lights on bikes are too bright and designed for a wide beam with long throw. Not for cycle lanes IMHO. At least some on the cycle lane are being considered, aka brighter than their lights by dimming down or dipping the beams. Dunno why some need those lasers on a cycle lane. There's a massive difference between being visible and being menace.

Oft times, way to f'ing bright.

Car lights have deflectors internal to the lamp to ensure the normal beam is skewed to the left, aka not blnd drivers on the left.

The lights on bikes are too bright and designed for a wide beam with long throw. Not for cycle lanes IMHO. At least some on the cycle lane are being considered, aka brighter than their lights by dimming down or dipping the beams. Dunno why some need those lasers on a cycle lane. There's a massive difference between being visible and being menace.

You hit the nail on the head. :thumbup:

yep....that was him!!!

Usb rechargeable lithium batt..no need for buying batts...ever!

Do those lazer beams always shine when the light is on? Great for commuting, not so sure I want lazer beams shooting out while out on a night ride though. :unsure:

...The lights on bikes are too bright and designed for a wide beam with long throw. Not for cycle lanes IMHO. At least some on the cycle lane are being considered, aka brighter than their lights by dimming down or dipping the beams. Dunno why some need those lasers on a cycle lane. There's a massive difference between being visible and being menace.

Where do you live? We don't have any cycle lanes around here, and our main cycling route (GB to Rooiels) has no street lights, and no emergency lane to speak of.

I agree about not being a menace, but I'd rather be annoyingly visible than dead.

Edited by GBguy

................................I'd rather be annoyingly visible than dead.

Me too.

Me too.

So you drive with your car's brights on all the time, everyone else be damned?

wrong approach: being a menace can put other road users lives at stake. A good friend of mine had near death experience,all because a motorist had his brights on which caused what my friend believes less than a second's worth of temporary blindness. He hit a cow and nearly lost his life, luckily, only wrote his car off.

While the analogy is somewhat extreme, the point is simple: the attitude of personal safety above all else, including those of other road users is pathetic. Note: no one is saying don't be visible, but please, be reasonable. Ultra bright is just ultra stupid.

for the record, ihave a pocket light on my hbars for the nightrides. the first few times out on the road and seen how drivers squint and have to look away. THat's on me and every other rider out there that causes the same thing. So tried something amazing: i checked for myself to see how bright my lights are from a driver's perspective. holysh1t. Maybe more of us need to get off our lofty saddles and see it from the other side.

All i did was switch to the lower intensity lights and pointed them further down. Simple.

Edited by Capricorn

Capricorn, relax, we're not in disagreement with you.

Merely saying that a decent visible brightness light (say 500 or 100 lumens?) is far better than being overlooked by a motorist and getting killed. The chances of a properly adjusted bicycle light causing a car accident because it is too bright, must be much smaller than a motorist driving over a cyclist he overlooked. The most quoted reason for motorists knocking cyclists off their bikes is the "I didn't see him" one. In my opinion, a good light is equally helpful in bright daylight conditions, in traffic and on the open road. A lot of the front and rear lights cyclists use are so dim they are of virtually no use. The too-bright-brigade is small by comparison, but I agree they can be a menace.

Overcompensating by some cyclists - trying to be too visible.

And end up looking like an airstrip. :)