MTB Front suspention

Storm 78

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a question...

You meant to say what a VALID question. You seem to have issues.

The statement was made that there was flex in the FS. Lots of people imagine flex, hence my request for more information. Some 24-spoke wheels easily touch the fork sides and it bothers people because it either makes a noise or scrapes the paint or both.

If it doesn't touch anything, flex is just about irrelevant. If it touches, then corrective action is required. I suspect you know all this but just feel a bit vexatious this month. Or is it this year?

O by the way the mechanic spaced the fork out from 100mm -120mm

I don't understand this. How did he space the fork out? Did he do that to fit a wheel with an over locknut dimension (OLD) of more than 100mm?

You meant to say what a VALID question. You seem to have issues.

that's ironic. still what a dumb question, and especially stupid is that imaginary/irrelevant flex crap.

Edited by Capricorn

If it doesn't touch anything, flex is just about irrelevant.

:eek:

One of the stupidest comments I've seen here... And there have been some pearlers, so I congratulate you Johann

Flex? Irrelevant? Go have another drink, man. Or better yet, tell that to a professional rider or even someone who is a weekend warrior but pushes his limits all the time. That's liek saying sidewall flex has no impact on handling. Utter BS

:eek:

One of the stupidest comments I've seen here... And there have been some pearlers, so I congratulate you Johann

Flex? Irrelevant? Go have another drink, man. Or better yet, tell that to a professional rider or even someone who is a weekend warrior but pushes his limits all the time. That's liek saying sidewall flex has no impact on handling. Utter BS

I have lots of people walking into the workshop asking about flex. They take the wheel, move it sideways and notice a bit of flex and want something done about it. All wheels flex and it is totally irrelevant unless of course it touches the fork.

I have lots of people walking into the workshop asking about flex. They take the wheel, move it sideways and notice a bit of flex and want something done about it. All wheels flex and it is totally irrelevant unless of course it touches the fork.

Again. Bullsh1t. Flex matters. A lot.

I'm not saying that some people don't imagine it, but to say flex is meaningless unless 2 components touch is frankly ludicrous in its level of fail.

Johan, you claim to be all knowledgeable in things bike related but this faux pas (and a couple of previous ones) has just blown a hole straight through your credibility.

I'm not saying that some people don't imagine it, but to say flex is meaningless unless 2 components touch is frankly ludicrous in its level of fail.

Walk over to your bike, move the wheel. Notice the flex. Tell us how it is relevant.

Johan, you claim to be all knowledgeable in things bike related but this faux pas (and a couple of previous ones) has just blown a hole straight through your credibility.

Where have I made that claim?

Nevermind, it really doesn't matter what you or the other matrons in Sandton think.

I don't understand this. How did he space the fork out? Did he do that to fit a wheel with an over locknut dimension (OLD) of more than 100mm?

He has a Reba. They can be adjusted (spaced) to run at 120mm travel.

You're supposed to know this, Johan.

Walk over to your bike, move the wheel. Notice the flex. Tell us how it is relevant.

My bike is in my car. My wheels (Spank Subrosa laced to Superstar Switch Evos with DT Competition spokes) are in the boot. If I try to flex the wheels when they're attached (20mm thru axle at the front, 12mm rear) they flex perhaps 1mm either way, if I were to estimate the distance. And I can push / pull HARD.

Flex matters (again, I don't know why I'm telling you this) because it affects the way the bike handles. Tires flex, as do stanchions, wheels and frames. It is the aim of the manufacturer to limit flex in the frame & fork and wheel as much as possible, so that the tire can flex in its own "space" and thus grip properly. The more the rim flexes, the more your weight will be thrown to the outside under cornering forces. Likewise with fork flex and frame flex (in simple terms)

All flex is cumulative. If the tire, wheel, fork and frame flex more than a certain amount, your ride is going to be inherently unstable, and you will not be able to control the bike as you want to. Like trying to control an eel, pretty much,

To say that flex does not matter unless 2 components touch is highly irresponsible as well as incorrect.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem