Pyga or Giant or Merida

cjl

Thanks for all the quick replies. Ok, merida then dropped from list for now!

Suspension wise - maestro vs pyga, any views on climbing difference and pedal efficiency overall?

I rode both the Giant and PYGA. I own a PYGA...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Giant but that's only because I ride one and love it. Good luck with you decision. Spez?

Do mostly XC. Did sani2c twice and doing berg2bush this year. Week and weekend rides more district roads with here and there some technical sections. I am 185cm and weigh 102kg!

I think they are different bikes for different usages. How competitive are you?

I got Giant (aluminium version) and it's light for a dual suss and the suspension is great. It good on tech stuff and must be one of the most versatile bikes out there. The carbon one's going to be lighter and faster still.

I'm not it the market for a new bike but if I were I'd be keen to try out the Pyga. It's more of a trail bike and is going to be heavier, but at 102 kg's that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Go for the one that makes you want to ride.

I got Giant (aluminium version) and it's light for a dual suss and the suspension is great. It good on tech stuff and must be one of the most versatile bikes out there. The carbon one's going to be lighter and faster still.

I'm not it the market for a new bike but if I were I'd be keen to try out the Pyga. It's more of a trail bike and is going to be heavier, but at 102 kg's that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Not the competitive type! Ride for fitness and for the pleasure! We are a very active mtb club and do a lot of club rides. If pedal efficiency is the same as my zula, I will me more than happy. Don`t want to hobble along :drool:

Okay. My input. As a heavier guy (105kg) I'd be happier on the pyga vs the anthem. Longer travel bikes are generally built tougher, which is also why I suggested looking at the trance 29er over the anthem.

Why, what makes it faster ?

The carbon, placebo, new bike fever ?

I went from Zula to a Spearfish - very similar in feel with the Spearfish feeling a bit `longer` on the top tube - more comfortable. Im 1.83 and the large Zula felt a bit cramped. There is a 2nd hand spearfish in the classifieds if you are looking for a large and ngala24 might be selling his small.

That is my experience - never rode any of the other mentioned

That Spearfish for 23k in the classifieds is great value..

I'm 105kgs, 6'3. Got a giant anthem x1, loving it. Climbs like a beast, and very responsive. If I'd had enough for the carbon one, I'd probably have waited to try the pyga - didn't have any xl ones I could try.

I did try the epic. Found it a bit aggressive for me, but at the same time a little more clumsy.... but that suspension was awesome.

marketing does buy you a lot it seems...but would have to agree with "armpies" own a Giant trance and can say it does a bit of everything really well, our local bike shop owner has a anthem X carbon and he shreds it, probably why it got second place in trail bike of the year review for a overseas shootout recently .so Giant it is :)

Why, what makes it faster ?

The carbon, placebo, new bike fever ?

All of the above I'd say!

I will say. Coming from a mate who tests bikes, as well as witnessing what can be done on one - both the anthem and the pyga are IMMENSELY capable bikes. The pyga is just that much more capable and spans more disciplines. I'd kill for one if I hadn't found the perfect bike for me (reign x)