I suck at Mountainbiking

dev  null

Yesterday afternoon me, the wife and the boys went to Helderberg Farm to do some riding. We followed the Helderberg Cycle World signs and I got a proper beating from my 13 year old on his new BMC 29er. To my defence; my front shock kept bottoming out and my tyres are too slippery for muddy paths. But still. Even my wife on her old Giant ATX880 went better.

I also struggeled with my clip-ons were the path was muddy with a steep incline. Just could not get going. To end it off I went and tumbled over the handlebars when my shock again bottomed out coming down the hill right in front of the wife and one boy and they thought it was comical.

One lesson learned is to take a shock pump with me next time and to check the shocks before I go. Another lesson is that Maxxis Monorail tyres are no good for muddy and slippery paths.

Ja, I know, excuses. But damn, I did not know my boy got this good. Now I know what he and his mates are up to when the disappear with the bikes during afternoons.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday afternoon me, the wife and the boys went to Helderberg Farm to do some riding. We followed the Helderberg Cycle World signs and I got a proper beating from my 13 year old on his new BMC 29er. To my defence; my front shock kept bottoming out and my tyres are too slippery for muddy paths. But still. Even my wife on her old Giant ATX880 went better.

I also struggeled with my clip-ons were the path was muddy with a steep incline. Just could not get going. To end it off I went and tumbled over the handlebars when my shock again bottomed out coming down the hill right in front of the wife and one boy and they thought it was comical.

One lesson learned is to take a shock pump with me next time and to check the shocks before I go. Another lesson is that Maxxis Monorail tyres are no good for muddy and slippery paths.

Ja, I know, excuses. But damn, I did not know my boy got this good. Now I know what he and his mates are up to when the disappear with the bikes during afternoons.

And that my friend is the best thing you should take from this :clap: :thumbup:

Yesterday was such a perfect day for riding. I went for a 2hr leg breaker at ongegund and had sooo much fun

Plus your son probably thinks it was hilarious with all the "proper riding" you do.

Can see the smirk on his face right now!

Dude, we live and learn. One of my worst wipeouts was when I was showing my wife "the ropes"

Was going too slow for a drop off of about a metre and just face planted HARD.

At least I now know that my boy is ready for the bigger stuff. No more easy stuff. For his 'penalty' he shall do the 92km Burger later this year, not the 44km anymore. I am still better at long distance road stuff than him, or at least I hope so.

At least I now know that my boy is ready for the bigger stuff. No more easy stuff. For his 'penalty' he shall do the 92km Burger later this year, not the 44km anymore. I am still better at long distance road stuff than him, or at least I hope so.

We look forward to your "I suck at road riding" post later this year :ph34r:

Nothing more heart breaking and rewarding than seeing your kid going from student to master. Compliments to his teacher :thumbup:

Guest KwaZulu Boertjie

Felt the same when The German rode my into the ground the other day at Giba! (While we are making excuses my Conti Race Kings really didnt like the muddy terrain as well...)

But its true... I suck as well

Yeah, I consider myself a roadie too. I'm Riding mountain bike for the fitness factor, just so that I can ride better on the road. And I grew up on a farm! haha that should say something.

I suck at road cycling - went for a ride with a 51 year old mate (almost 20 years older than me), who only weighs 68 kgs, compared to my 83. we did Chappies (twice), Ou Kaapse, Boyes, Blackhill, Suikerbossie. 1500m in total - in the end he had to wait for me at every little hill, so embarrassed...

92km is too far for a 13 year old. Rather let him do the shorter distance and try for a top 20 finish.

I suck at road cycling - went for a ride with a 51 year old mate (almost 20 years older than me), who only weighs 68 kgs, compared to my 83. we did Chappies (twice), Ou Kaapse, Boyes, Blackhill, Suikerbossie. 1500m in total - in the end he had to wait for me at every little hill, so embarrassed...

No need to be embarrassed.

83kg vs 68kg is like taking a knife to a gunfight.

Needless to say, I'm firmly in the corner of the bigger lads. LOL

Thirteen? Pah.

I got torched by my ten year old yesterday. I normally slow down for him or give him a head start, I did the head start thing yesterday at Tokai and never saw him again.

Got to end of the single track to find his bike parked and the little bugger sitting down, arms folded, looking relaxed with an air of ' how long do I have to wait for you, old person' on his face.

There is only one thing left to do ... get a new and upgraded bike :ph34r: