Will you buy a second hand bike ?

eddy

But that's what upsets me about guys bringing the Chinnerellos in and branding them with S-works or Pinerrello or whatever. Just leave it blank

Exactly. This is a case in point of what happens with "branded" non - brand frames. And in terms of insurance, good luck if it breaks and it's insured for the full ticket price of the original.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it much worse than edge designs or black spade or other such companies branding Chinese blanks and selling them as brand bikes? Not everyone knows the origin of these frames.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it as I am an IT guy not a bike expert but yes it is much worse IMHO as with Black Spade et al you have companies that will provide backup and warrantees of some sort.

Where do you go with your fake Pinarello?

Is it much worse than edge designs or black spade or other such companies branding Chinese blanks and selling them as brand bikes? Not everyone knows the origin of these frames.

yes it is. Those are their own brands, and people know that they are a Momsen, or Edge etc.

Bringing in a chinese blank frame and branding it as Pinarello, Scott, Giant etc is not only stupid, it's illegal. It's a fake as soon as you slap those stickers on. And for the person selling it as a Pinarello, they're guilty of fraud. Plain and simple.

It's like if I were to sell a Porsche Spyder as an original when it's actually a kit based ont eh Karmann Ghia, with a 1.5l volksie motor in it.

Fraud. Plain and simple.

Guest Travis.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it as I am an IT guy not a bike expert but yes it is much worse IMHO as with Black Spade et al you have companies that will provide backup and warrantees of some sort.

Where do you go with your fake Pinarello?

Agreed, the BS and Edge guys are open about where they are sourced and give proper backup. But a fake, is a fake. It's a lie and it's fraud. Simplistic really, how can it not be worse?

Over the last 5 years I have bought everything from frames downwards and I have built up three bikes all from parts bought on the hub. My advice to people starting off is to determine their proper size and buy second hand on the hub.

But this has had me thinking: http://www.thehubsa....0#commentsStart

Here is a well meaning albeit naive person getting taken in by counterfeit goods. Yesterday, i rode past someone on a Pinarello and instead of thinking "nice bike" i thought "wonder if it is a fake?".

I see a lot of branded carbon wheels, frames and bikes in the classifieds. How does someone buy with confidence when counterfeiting is now so easy ?

I love second hand goods, especially if you study the market a bit and the prospective seller (if you can get some indication on his 'habbits)', you're bound to find good value...on thehub, that is going to be a bit tougher though, however, with some sniffing and asking you can achieve it!

I ride a 'reconditioned' bike... bought second hand, strippded, new paint, fork, shock, bars etc...stripped off parts sold to offset costs of new goodies. 4 years and still going strong!

These companies are offering warranties and they are not branding it with S-works and selling them at S-works prices

I love second hand goods, especially if you study the market a bit and the prospective seller (if you can get some indication on his 'habbits)', you're bound to find good value...on thehub, that is going to be a bit tougher though, however, with some sniffing and asking you can achieve it!

I ride a 'reconditioned' bike... bought second hand, strippded, new paint, fork, shock, bars etc...stripped off parts sold to offset costs of new goodies. 4 years and still going strong!

Same here. I bought my DH bike off of Pittstop here. Was a good deal for both of us, and I would do it again. I've bought brakes, wheels, bars etc. Not one problem. So I won't rule out future purchases at all. But - I'm seriously wary of full carbon-framed bikes nowadays. Especially ones that are branded as something they may not be,

I haven't had a problem on the hub yet - buying or selling.

Having said that, second-hand carbon scares me, and if something(anything) looks too good, I stay away.

Same here. I bought my DH bike off of Pittstop here. Was a good deal for both of us, and I would do it again. I've bought brakes, wheels, bars etc. Not one problem. So I won't rule out future purchases at all. But - I'm seriously wary of full carbon-framed bikes nowadays. Especially ones that are branded as something they may not be,

Agree, I personally would not drop cash on new carbon or old carbon...Alu has served me well over the years, I have not been able to break or even crack any of my bikes which included GF/Giant/Trek/Giant...maybe if I drop 20kg in weight and start thrashing the rest of the 40-50 age group, but I love beer too much for that...

But I see the problem expressed here...fake carbon with branded names, minefiled for the newbie!

I haven't had a problem on the hub yet - buying or selling.

Having said that, second-hand carbon scares me, and if something(anything) looks too good, I stay away.

i got a second hand carbon momsen off the hub at a steal...no problems so far..

i got a second hand carbon momsen off the hub at a steal...no problems so far..

But I bet you are wondering if the frame is the real deal :whistling:

But I bet you are wondering if the frame is the real deal :whistling:

nope, was bought via a bike shop, who are momsen agents..unlikely..

Yes, I buy 2nd hand, but I do my homework very carefully beforehand and I always keep the "if it's to good to be true, it probably is" saying in mind. I only buy after inspecting the goods and the seller personally, even if it means missing a good deal from elsewhere in the country. I don't buy in haste or on impulse and I don't let a seller pressurize me. I've never had a problem and I've bought 5 bikes off the Hub or Gumtree in the last 2 years. (I've also sold a few in the same way.)

I say, track the skelm down and make an example of him, lay a charge of fraud with the cops, plaster his face all over the internet and generally stuff up his racket.

For me it's a real simple question if wanting to buy a secondhand bike:

• Do I know the person and how they look after their stuff ?
  • Is the person reputable in the community ?

If not I tend to back away........given that I have never before bought secondhand.

I can however vouch that this technique and guidelines have only helped me to have pleasant buying experiences on The Hub

I only buy secondhand. If you know what you are doing and are patient enough, you can't really go wrong... the value can be incredible if you catch the right deal.

That said, I don't buy carbon unless I know the owner... good bike insurance can cover you here though.

As for people rebranding bikes and selling them as something they are not - they should be taken to the cleaners - it's illegal - plain and simple :thumbdown: