SA MTB Ballies (over 30) Mentalities ??? Please explain

nigelhicks

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

XC 40-44.

I take my hat off to you guys.Cant believe how downhill has changed over the last 20 years.A XC course today is more technical than a DH 15 years ago.Today DH is just insane.

Good luck,spot you at the party.

You too! That course looks Gnarly. Hats off to anybody that can ride on the rivet for that amount of time....

Eish, I forgot about the party!! Going to have to bring extra over 40 Smarties... (Cataflams...)

DH riders get to use an armoury of protection because they don't have to pedal tooo much and don't have to worry about overheating.

Sorry bro - but if thats the way you think then you clearly need to come and give DH a try - its just a pedal fest start to finish with having to dodge everything else in between

As for the rock gardens in XC - natural rock gardens occur in many world cups so there they are natural features and on an XC bike you should also be able to ride them .... fair enough massive gaps etc i would have a problem with too - but what is the difference between jumping a 1m wide gully made by a river and a man made jumps to immitate that .......

Thats why I spelt it tooooo - sure you have to pedal but not 1:15-1:30 on the red line. DH can support full body armour. Impossible in XCO.

I have big respect for the DH crew - not someting I can or want to do!

hahahaha ummm no ... of course you could do it .... Grebel never thought he could .... and now hes racing worlds!!!

and try a course length of minimum 2 minutes with max of 5 winning time ....

Most are 3 to 4:30 in time ....

you are broken at the end of that! ....

Edited by nigelhicks

By the way,thanks for all the effort and hard work Nigel.

I think the course is awesome .

Do you know if they have decided on amount of laps yet?

Hey string - thats Nick Floros work - Im in charge of the DH .... Im not sure what nick has planned with regards to laps etc

as for the party .... i think we all need to bring our big boy pants for that .... cus its gonna be HUGE

Remember that the Keg up the road has weekday R15 draught specials between 16:00 and 18:00 ...... HMMMMMM

Guest Omega Man

as for the party .... i think we all need to bring our big boy pants for that .... cus its gonna be HUGE

Remember that the Keg up the road has weekday R15 draught specials between 16:00 and 18:00 ...... HMMMMMM

The Jeep Cherokee haters keg? The owner obs had a cherokee that gave him a LOT of k@k

Edited by Omega Man

In other news - what the hell is this pooftah 800m sprint with two rocks, 4 stairs and some dirt *** they're doing now?

"Eliminator" - the only thing it eliminates is 5 minutes of my life.

So we need to come up with some sort of Drinking game to go with it ... that will make it more interesting

****,I think I'm staying in walking distance from that Keg,might not even make the start.Are you a Doper if you on the startling pissed?

If you catch the last shuttle up, you can just hook a short right at Jugs Big One! and roll down the hill to the Keg :thumbup:

On chicken runs:

At Hayterdale SA Champs this year I took the alternative section at one of the technical sections. A pretty blonde spectator commented saying " should we make chicken sounds for the chicken"

I replied : "please do as I have a big cock"

Was very quiet the second time I went through there.

Well done to the effort you guys have put in. My personal view on the XCO course is its perfect.

I was down two weeks ago and didn't have the nut size to do the doubles properly. I went back this weekend to conquer the doubles and to be honest they are mentally intimidating but certainly not difficult. The first one is just as fast to manual as it is to jump. The Rock gardens are not too bad as long as you have a bit of momentum going. It is going to be interesting to tackle the course with another 50 or 60 riders at the same time. Does "track" apply to World cup events as well?

I haven't seen the downhill course so can't comment.

Really looking forward to race day.

Well, if cycling is the new golf, what did you expect. I just had a moan session with a client that didnt like the feel of a bike he begged me to source.

I think courses should be closed for the weeks leading up to XC and DH events. Give the course builder a chance to define his precious. It is world class competition so the track needs to be that way too.

I say then invited a cross-section of the group(pro to weekend warrior) to help with the chicken run and you got a good chance to keep everyone happy.

There he said it!

There was a lot of 'it's a once in a lifetime opportunity to participate in a world champs' going on a while ago and all should go if you could ..... may have gotten many excited?

I personally would think that if you're not right near the sharp end of the national XCO races that you probably don't belong at the world champs ..... but maybe I'm wrong!

Well done to the effort you guys have put in. My personal view on the XCO course is its perfect.

I was down two weeks ago and didn't have the nut size to do the doubles properly. I went back this weekend to conquer the doubles and to be honest they are mentally intimidating but certainly not difficult. The first one is just as fast to manual as it is to jump. The Rock gardens are not too bad as long as you have a bit of momentum going. It is going to be interesting to tackle the course with another 50 or 60 riders at the same time. Does "track" apply to World cup events as well?

I haven't seen the downhill course so can't comment.

Really looking forward to race day.

And your take on that rock garden at the end of the first loop of the figure of of eight?

From the UCI website :-

And don’t let the idea of facing the daunting rock gardens and the highly technical sections put you off. Lenferna adds that there will be some remarkable differences between the Elite and Masters Championship tracks: “The courses in both the XCO and DHI will not be as scary as in the Elite event. The highly technical sections will be left out for the Masters races.”