Max Heart Rate Curiosity

Hi,

According to the calculation based on my age my max hr is 188. However, I noticed on a few occasions during intense training that my hr spikes to roughly 10% over my mhr. At first I thought this was a one off glitch on the hrm, but it happened again. I then changed to a different hrm and same occured.

Is this normal? Is the 220-Age calculation just a guideline? Is this dangerous and should I be concerned?

Hoping the mad scientists on this forum can advise...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 220 less age is not very accurate. There was another calculation posted which was much more accurate but I can't find it. Maybe it went down with the big crash.

Its just a guideline. I rode with two youngsters on had a Max of around 170bpm one of 220bpm both were equally competitive. People who stay fit will not have a decline of 1bpm/year maybe a quater opf that. Use it or lose it.

Hi,

According to the calculation based on my age my max hr is 188. However, I noticed on a few occasions during intense training that my hr spikes to roughly 10% over my mhr. At first I thought this was a one off glitch on the hrm, but it happened again. I then changed to a different hrm and same occured.

Is this normal? Is the 220-Age calculation just a guideline? Is this dangerous and should I be concerned?

Hoping the mad scientists on this forum can advise...

At best, it's only a guideline.

In my case that theoretical max is roundabout in my higher real zone 3... Somehow mine just beats faster than that theory. Likewise I've ridden with guys who'll keel over trying to reach that theoretical max, their HR's are just naturally lower. And it's no indication of performance or potential, it's just a muscle working differently for every individual.

That said, I have a bit of history to work back on, so I know what my HR does. But - make sure you're not training whilst ill - above normal HR's can indicate illness. Also, some HR belts are very susceptible to static from jerseys and/or power lines can affect some of them. Which may also declare your surges.

Just a guideline my max is supposed to be 185 and i regularly spike it at over 200. Just monitor yourself and if you feel some discomfort lay of for a bit.

The calculations are just approximate - the only way to find your real max is to test for it - the hard way - no calculation is accurate for everyone.

Don't waste your time doing calculations - get on your bike and go test it.

yip. put on your hr monitor ride as hard as you can uphill. when you wake up on the tar and look at your watch, then you will see your max

Haha yeah i like that...nothing like practical tests.

yip. put on your hr monitor ride as hard as you can uphill. when you wake up on the tar and look at your watch, then you will see your max

What happens if you don't wake up?

Max HR values are over rated but ja everyone likes to do it at least once

My HRM showed a maximum HR of 212 at Kremetart, which just proves that my wife is right - I am a kid.

I stopped training in 2001 and back then I didnt worry about this sort of thing, I just rode...

Now that I am older, I have to keep reminding myself that Im not young with boundless energy anymore.

last night did a session and 42 minutes in zone 3 averaging 176bom and I felt I could have definitely given more...was just scared to push harder

This is something that I was also curious about when I started training with an HRM, I asked the doctor about it, like if you could you weaken your heart if you go over the the maximum, etc, and he said your body will tire out long before you do any damage.

Edited by jadeg

Also, some HR belts are very susceptible to static from jerseys and/or power lines can affect some of them. Which may also declare your surges.

At times my polar HRM would measure a maximum of 230 bpm, Found that when I wet the strap where the probes are before putting it on, it would never record these spikes

Edited by jadeg

You cannot really go "over" your max HR. If you get your heart rate higher, that is your new max heart rate.

The formula are derived from population-based studies, as an "average" HRmax. But very few people are average, so some will get it higher, and some won't reach it.

As V12 said, test it... use that value for calculating training zones, not prediced values.

A more accurate way than the 220 - your age method is:

I'll do mine as an example:

210 minus half your age (round it up if you're on an uneven age number), 210-(43) 22 = 188

Then subtract 5% of your body weight in pounds ( 72kgs x 2.2) = 158lbs @5% = (7.92) 8

So 188 minus 8 = 180

Then either add 4 for a male

Or add 0 for female.

So mine ends up on 184.

I have found this to be very accurate even when I've done VO2 max tests in the lab.

Hope it helps.