Should i or not

ScottCM

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go against the grain here.

It all depends on how much you can afford, and exactly what you intend to use the bike for.

As some have commented, this is really just a bike that should be used for rides around town. And if you are just wanting to ride round the block with your kids and it is all you can afford then yes it is perfect.

If however you want to be more adventurous and ride longer distances on dirt roads you will find that the components will start to break. And the rides generally gets uncomfortable.

If you can save up to get to about R4000 there are some good deals in the classifieds.

If you know road bikes, then you know the difference between low end starter bikes (usually bought at Makro and Game) and the high end expensive bikes, bought at say ASG, Specialized, etc.

This bike is a Marko, Game type of bike. If you feel ok buying that bike then go for it.

The question you really need to answer for us, is, exactly what kinds of riding do you plan on doing within the next year with your son and what bike does he have ?

As you say you're just starting out and need something cheap->

http://www.thehubsa....t-30-avalanche/ or

http://www.thehubsa....-mountain-bike/

Browse the classifieds and use the price filter :thumbup:

:clap: :thumbup:

great examples !! I see you are in JHB, postage should be about R350 - R400. If you want I will even go and look at the one in CT for you and send through pics so you can decide. Maybe the bloke might change his price a little bit for you

Against my advice, a friend bought a similar bike at Game. The wheels were always out of true, the gears never worked properly, his deraileur broke after 2 weeks.

If you are simply planning to ride around the neighbourhood, I would say fine. Anything more than that, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you are on a tight budget, then rather get an entry level hardtail. Those full suspension bikes weigh a ton and they bounce around and creak at every pivot point.

You will be able to pick up a much better quality bike like an Axis or Avalanche second hand for about a R1 000. Also entry level, but certainly better than the one in the photo.

Thanks for all the advice guys, maybe i should elaborate a little bit more, the purpose for the bike is basically to ride around with my kids, one is 4 and the other 6. they have small bmx's, while i save up R4k plus which will take me round 18-24months to save. so either buy it and keep the legs turning around with my boys or do nothing for the time it takes me to save.

i gathered this is a makro special and i know i cant expect the world from it , and if it brakes then so be it just as long as i can get some riding time with the kids while i save for a proper bike.

definately having second thoughts now :(

Edited by ScottC-M

Please let us help you. I will look around for something that is better suited. I once picked up a Trek hardtail entry level bike for my wife with spare slicks for R200 on gumtree. I only bought it for spares but it turned out to be a jem and perfect for what she needs.

Please let us help you. I will look around for something that is better suited. I once picked up a Trek hardtail entry level bike for my wife with spare slicks for R200 on gumtree. I only bought it for spares but it turned out to be a jem and perfect for what she needs.

Good guy greg, there to help a cyclist in need .

Good lad :thumbup:

Recenty bought a GT 2.0 26 with v brakes for R500 - spare set of slicks included