SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad was his mechanic that year he won...... :clap:  :clap:

So you know some famous people.  :thumbup:

Must have been nice to be able to chat  to / know such a legend.

That knowledge of machine and circuit that allows a team to optimise the laptime is crucial, so I hope that KTM will put sufficient budget behind the development of their GP2 bike and their campaign to get them up to speed quickly.

I remember Kork Ballington winning 250 & 350 world champ titles on a Kawa and then moving to 500 with Kawasaki and getting nowhere.

Also, Jon Ekerold who won the 250 world title as a privateer riding a Yamaha engined Bimota he built himself before moving unsuccessfully to 500 cc in a new Cagiva team.

These two South African guys really had our hearts beating faster in the early 80's even though I had a Suzuki at the time. At least they weren't on Hondas.

Maybe if they were on Hondas they could have won a couple of champs ... :ph34r:

It seems in the days of 125 and 250 that was the natural way to 500 2 stroke. Now, I'm note sure if the Moto 2 is such a good learning ground for MotoGP, as we see with guys coming up not doing very well and adapting, like Rabat for example, or Pol or Smith, being on almost factory level bikes.

So question. Moto 2 bikes have Honda engines. So the KTM that Binder will be on next year will have a Honda engine but the chassis will be provided by KTM. Correct?

Yes, AFAIK

Seems a bit odd. I read on MCN that Honda are discontinuing the CBR600RR in Europe because of emissions standards that it doesn't meet and that sales of Supersport class bikes have recently plummeted. Presumably because of the track focused nature of the bikes making them a nightmare to live with. So developing a new bike to conform to the standards doesn't make sense.

On the back of this one has to wonder about the future of Supersport class racing and what the point of Honda supplying CBR based engines to Moto 2.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

On the back of this one has to wonder about the future of Supersport class racing and what the point of Honda supplying CBR based engines to Moto 2.

Honda is contractually obligated to supply the engines until the end of 2018, and Dorna have already started the process in obtaining a new (or to renew) engine supplier going forward.

That I got, my question is specifically about can one extrapolate success in GP3 to success in the bigger classes.

Does the riding style need to differ and are different skills needed?

I suppose in short, can Binder go all the way , and if so is it likely, possible of highly unlikely .

I think the short answer to that is to take a look at the progress of previous GP3 winners, Danny Kent and Jack Miller. Neither one doing well currently - apart from Miller in the rain, of course. What is with that?

I think the short answer to that is to take a look at the progress of previous GP3 winners, Danny Kent and Jack Miller. Neither one doing well currently - apart from Miller in the rain, of course. What is with that?

You have to be ultra smooth in the rain. GP3 teaches you that, from what I understand. Anything other than smoothness and you don't hold as much corner speed. And that is a killer for acceleration out of the corners

Edited by Myles Mayhew

It's not Moto GP but it is sick.

The Monster Energy Cup happens in Supercross next month. It till feature the highest start ramp ever and Tim Gaiser (spelling) will make his US debut. He has a clause in his contract giving him a spot on the US HRC team should he win the MXGP championship so he might well be the next big thing out of Europe.

Rocsen seems almost certain to switch to the Honda next year. Trey Canard looks set to switch to KTM. Hopefully he can finally put a season together. If he's on the KTM he'll have access to Saffer King maker Aldon Baker who's contracted to KTM.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

It's not Moto GP but it is sick.

The Monster Energy Cup happens in Supercross next month. It till feature the highest start ramp ever and Tim Gaiser (spelling) will make his US debut. He has a clause in his contract giving him a spot on the US HRC team should he win the MXGP championship so he might well be the next big thing out of Europe.

Rocsen seems almost certain to switch to the Honda next year. Trey Canard looks set to switch to KTM. Hopefully he can finally put a season together. If he's on the KTM he'll have access to Saffer King maker Aldon Baker who's contracted to KTM.

More off topic on this thread...

Before Monster Energy Cup there is...

MXoN is the last weekend this month which should also prove the year long head to head of riders who race in different championships all coming together at one event! Gonna be an interesting bit of MX in Italy and the track is looking in grand form!

Team lists:

http://www.mxgp.com/news/official-entry-lists-monster-energy-fim-motocross-nations

Plus there's the Supercross effort in Europe on the 8th of October at some new German based indoor venue. Dungey, Barcia, Anderson, Osborne and Musquin will be the US based notables competing against Gajser, Herlings, Febvre, Nagl and co.

Info here:

http://www.mxgp.com/tracks/veltins-arena

K-Roc to HRC is an interesting move and certainly something that Honda is using to go all in for the 2017 Champs! Wonder how quickly Gajser will come to grips with the US setup if he does go across and having both of these riders under the HRC tent will be SUPER interesting! Honda fans will have a real chance to be amped for next year!

Trey is possibly the unluckiest of riders in the modern era with the injuries and how some of these have been picked up through his campaigns. Wonder how working at the Baker factory will change his approach and whether he'll be able to avoid some of the situations he has found himself in when he has got injured in the past! When he's fit he has the speed! I'm mostly keen to see how Cooper Webb is going to handle not being the big fish in the pond any longer! Whether he can continue using his anger at being overtaken to press forward and attempt to ride away from the likes of K-Roc, ET and Dungey. I'm mostly looking forward to him and Bam Bam having their first on track encounter to see what the result of that is! Should be an EPIC year if the main contenders can stay healthy through the season! Rooting for Roczen but doubt he will have another runaway season!