MotoGP

SeaBee

Until Dorna took over no spaniard had ever won the premier class. 

then Criville won in late 90's... 

and since Lorenzo/Marquez era only Stoner has won. Between the 2 of them they have won every championship since rossis last with the exception of Stoners. 

Its an incredible success story for the grass roots development of the sport in spain. 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until Dorna took over no spaniard had ever won the premier class. 

then Criville won in late 90's... 

and since Lorenzo/Marquez era only Stoner has won. Between the 2 of them they have won every championship since rossis last with the exception of Stoners. 

Its an incredible success story for the grass roots development of the sport in spain. 

It is, much like how Italy had so many champions for a while too, the Americans before them.

So much of it comes down too grass roots development.

The scene I can remember was Haga and Bayliss (Im sure it was Bayliss) was when they passed a back marker, at the same time. One on the inside and another on the outside.

There was another, think it was Monza, where it looked like Bayliss simply forgot to brake, and passed 4 people into the chicane.

Dammit, now you guys have me watching old WSBK clips, man that was racing.

There was another story of Bayliss, cannot remember the exact details, but he was doing a PR launch for the new Ducati, think it was the 1098R, and in road trim during at the launch set a lap that would have put him on the front row of the SuperStock race, or something like that.

BSB from the early 2000's was also amazing racing.

I remember this story of Steve Hislop lapping faster than the MotoGP bikes from earlier in the year.

Different time of year and conditions BUT the fastest MotoGP bikes of the time were huge V5 monsters. The BSB rules were also restrictive on tyres, electronics, etc.

He really was a great rider and a huge loss to the sport when he passed.

https://www.iomttraces.com/classic/news/festival/the-hizzy-years-part-7-faster-than-rossi

PS: the Rossi comparison is just because he was the fastest MotoGP rider that year, around Donnington. Nothing else.

With regards to the 7 rounds in Spain, is there any different regulations between Spain and the rest of the European rounds with regards to the amount of spectators allowed at the track, if any? 

With regards to the 7 rounds in Spain, is there any different regulations between Spain and the rest of the European rounds with regards to the amount of spectators allowed at the track, if any? 

No spectators for any racing, same as no journo's at any races. Although talk of 10 journo's at the Austria round.

Also there is possibly a French round BUT only in fans are allowed. No fans, no race.

Fact is Dorna and the MotoGP championship is Spain based, they will have some sway with the Spanish authorities so it makes sense they would get more favour for racing in Spain.

Zarco was trying to cross the French/Spanish border and was blocked by customs. A letter from Caramello-bear got him through. 

Also go look at the race calendar, how funny is it that they name the circuits differently for each weekend. Trying to make it look like the double headers are being held at different circuits.

Lots of podcasts from all the big journo's on the topics at the moment, well worth listening:

MotoPG

Tankslappers

Paddock Pass Podcast

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)

My sentiment is that at least we are going to get some racing .

Why 7 in Spain ?? Did Dorna put out an explanation on that ?

I am sure ALL concerned parties signed off on the new calendar .

Logistics might have played their part in this decision .

Frankly , there is now very little room for error , races are too close together . The right wrist and the brain are going to have to work in sync this year .... Can't wait !!!! 

My sentiment is that at least we are going to get some racing .

Why 7 in Spain ?? Did Dorna put out an explanation on that ?

I am sure ALL concerned parties signed off on the new calendar .

Logistics might have played their part in this decision .

Frankly , there is now very little room for error , races are too close together . The right wrist and the brain are going to have to work in sync this year .... Can't wait !!!! 

Sway with Spanish government, simple.

Logistically also easier as it's essentially local.

It will be interesting, I small injury and you could miss 3 races and your season is done.

Lots of young riders will be looking to hit the ground running, should be a messy season.........

Another consideration will be what happens when a rider or crew member in a title contenders team tests positive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rossi at PEtronas in 2021? 

Seems to be very likely

"Valentino Rossi says reports that he has already officially signed for Petronas Yamaha are 'not true. It's fake' - but confirms a 2021 MotoGP deal is now '99%' done."

This whole thing is such a debacle. Italian news reported that the deal is done, and when the Petronas boss finished his Saturday morning bike ride, his phone had blown up about this and he was like, what, I don't know anything about this.

So bizarre.

Nevertheless, there were bikes on track yesterday, and the fast guys are still fast. Ducati seems to be in trouble, but we won't know anything until Sunday at 14h00.

Once the green flag drops, the production of bovine manure stops. I am so damn excited it is unreal.