[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #3 Van Gaalens

Tim_Fair

Took 3 weeks off training while overseas and felt it a lot. Rocks were a killer and not strong enough to move my bike through them, saw some nasty over handle bars accidents on the descent from the radio telescope area. Jo Bliksem was tougher than i remember from last year.

Thanks to he guy who guv me some water at 68 km and the started cramping badly with 700 m to go. I am sure he finished ok.

Hakahana may be more accent, but less rocks which makes it easier to my mind.

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was probably the only guy in a batch for the marathon with a dropper seat post and 140mm travel (on hell of a heavy bike) but absolutely loved the downhill and cried on every climb!!

Big thanks to the guys that gave track even though it was one hell of a rocky descent!!

PS Thanks to the guy riding in black educos kit on white cube you saved my life with that water bottle just before the last water point

Was that you on the other OneTen that came past me at the bottom of that rocky descent? I was doing some bike repair after overcooking a turn near the bottom after trying to overtake the world and their dog there - thanks guys for giving track by the way. Man the Pyga was superb for that race....it's owner, no so much. 1x10 with 34 up front was a bit much for mean the climb after the church.

Was probably the only guy in a batch for the marathon with a dropper seat post and 140mm travel (on hell of a heavy bike) but absolutely loved the downhill and cried on every climb!!

Had my seat post dropper on my Pyga too. NEEDED it a lot. Happy to take the weight penalty

I had a good ride but was rather disappointed at all badly injured and dehydrated participants in the parking lot spectator areas and medical tents . I must have seen at least a dozen people with collar bone fractures . This level or race should be designed for a manageable challenge not to see so many of the competitors off for surgery .

I don't agree Clinton - it's people going beyond their limits that causes them to crash (or swerving for other people) - in my eye the route was good. Yes, some technical places, but you could walk ALL of them and had PLENTY warning to get off beforehand.

MTBers should HTFU :D

Was that you on the other OneTen that came past me at the bottom of that rocky descent? I was doing some bike repair after overcooking a turn near the bottom after trying to overtake the world and their dog there - thanks guys for giving track by the way. Man the Pyga was superb for that race....it's owner, no so much. 1x10 with 34 up front was a bit much for mean the climb after the church.

I don't think so I was on the orange onetwenty650. Luckily I was on a 2x10 setup.

Was my first race on mine and was proper impresed wouldn't trade it for any bike out there!

Edited by Rooimoer

Had my seat post dropper on my Pyga too. NEEDED it a lot. Happy to take the weight penalty

After yesterday I would take the weight penalty any day! Changes the way you ride completly and gives me so much more confidence on the descents!

I had a good ride but was rather disappointed at all badly injured and dehydrated participants in the parking lot spectator areas and medical tents . I must have seen at least a dozen people with collar bone fractures . This level or race should be designed for a manageable challenge not to see so many of the competitors off for surgery .

Sorry i also don't agree. If people are not comfortable they can always walk. Every race does how ever have accidents. I myself almost saw my ring piece a few times but i kept saying i know i should have walked that part so would have been my own fault. VG is a very well known place for rocks steep downs and very technical. I don't like to see people in the medic tents but there was nothing wrong with the route.

Thats how we roll and sometimes we have to tuck n roll :-)

Ps i fell off 3 times but blame myself for not concentrating

I also don't agree. I loved the fact that this race had some good technical parts so that everyone got tested as an all round mountain biker if all a race tests is pedalling then it might as well be a road race. Mountain biking is about those technical skills and pedalling and if you cant ride something then no one will hate on you for walking.

Who else saw they guy with all the protection - wrist, elbow and knee guards? Just short of full face helmet and goggles. Obviously he knew something about the race, knows his abilities and came prepared (although some oakes had a second look and giggle).

So I guess I'm a softie , feeling sorry or all the chaps seeing their asses with out a mirror . Just seemed a lot more than usual '

Was ridiculously tough. More off the bike than on. Just could not get going, everytime you think you can ride, you have to jump off cause 20 other stuck in front of you. Very frustrating.

Happy I finished, but this was a leveller for me. Thought 8 hrs or so of training a week is sufficient... Mmmmm.... clearly not.

All the best

Leon

Things is, a lot of the participants perhaps are relative newbies and have done the other in the series, which lets face it are tame in comparison. They haven't really had to deal with rocky technical descents, go in over confident and some hurt themselves. Should they be more fore-warned? Perhaps the 10mins holding times in the pens could be used to drum this message home.

Also dehydration: also something you have to learn about.

Edited by kosmonooit

train more - this was a decent mountain bike race , if you need mores skills you have to train - or you can always do some road races

Give Clinton a break. You can't blame anyone for saying that it was technical. That descent after the satelites was pretty hectic. I walked quite a bit. But you have to get down that mountain somehow and I don't think there are too many options. The trail riders would've loved it, the dirt roadies not so much. Different strokes...

Fact of the matter is that we don't have many trails on that level so it's normal that there are a lot of people who found it very technical and tough.

For me, it's the best race around, even though there are some sections that give me a couple of extra skidmarks in my bib.

I had several multiple personality disorders through the first 18km.. battled with the climbing and blew heart rate into the sky and would have given my mtb to the nearest taker at one stage.. but.... it got better thank heavens and after swearing I will never race again (let alone this venue).. I am ready to work harder and will do it again next year. I may be slow but I FINISHED and that is ultimately what its about. Fighting the quitting demons. Rode a lot more of the downhill technical bits (albeit with a few shrieks in between) so was well chuffed. This race reminds me of childbirth... you forget the pain and trauma of it within hours.

MAN those ICE COLD Savannahs went down well along with those awesome Steers chips!!!

Thanks Nissan & (not so FUN) Gaalen!!! See you next year!