Bike racks: Suspended or platform

Lamber

Hi guys,

At last my new tjor has a towbar and I no longer need to chuck my bikes in my little Corsa's boot- now i'm shopping for a bike rack.

I see a lot of guys opting for the platform type rather than the suspension type, why is that? I have a Tiguan, so ground clearance is not that bad- but taking into account the type of terrains to and from MTB races- wouldn't the suspended (hanging) type be a better option?

Any advice is welcome.

dL

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To much swinging of bikes on the suspension type racks for me .

Plus they can potentially damage your cables (esp on road bikes)

Also I don't think it's good for Carbon frames - as they are hanging (with a wing-nut type thing) fastening the top tupe, the bikes swing around and (depending on the frame shape) could damage the frame - not sure if your frames are carbon?? But I think worth a mention if someone else reads this thread...

To much swinging of bikes on the suspension type racks for me .

Makes sense. Thanks a lot!

We had:

1. Clamp-on to the back of the car racks,

2. Bike buddies (or whatever they are called) - suspention type rack,

3. Platform rack - which fasten your Top-tube and BOTH wheels.

Prefer Platform rack!!! Bit more expensive, but worth the moola's...!!!

BUT not sure about the MTB type terrains you mention...maybe someone else can comment :thumbup: as we normally just travel tar and off-road farm type roads...no problems yet!

Edited by CASSIE1975

had 2 suspension type racks and found the loading and unloading of the bikes a pain, and the bikes get scratched and damaged no matter how carefully you pack/rack them

The only reason suspension type racks still exist is because platform ones are ... ahem... expensive!!!

I paid almost R2k for a Thule Spare me hanging rack (fits onto a spare wheel) (that's what the vehicle manufacturer recommends if you want to keep your warranty)

for what it is worth, I have the hanging type rack, the one arm of the rack sits under the top tube by the seatpost, the second arm sits under the down tube of the bike - which levels out the bike nicely as the top tube slopes a fair bit. If both arms go under the top tube, then the ground clearance between the front wheel and the ground is too close for comfort. I have found that there is pretty much zero sway under braking and acceleration and all cables are way clear meaning they don't catch or rub against anything.

Having said this, I have a hardtail, my mate has a softtail and also a hanging type rack which is not ideal at all. He definately needs a platform, as his wife also has a softtail.

I drive a Honda CRV so very similar to the Tiguan and I use a platform Thule rack. Ground clearance no problem and very secure.