Bike racks: Suspended or platform

Lamber

Guest Latent Blue

I think though for short and quick transport suspension type rack should be fine... but on the long road, there is no doubt

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On this topic... Looking at rackandcarry... Are the buzz racks and menabo racks good? They are much more affordable than the Thule. Having just spent the moola on my Avanza, funds are a leeeeeetle tight.

On this topic... Looking at rackandcarry... Are the buzz racks and menabo racks good? They are much more affordable than the Thule. Having just spent the moola on my Avanza, funds are a leeeeeetle tight.

i just got the 3 Bike menabo tilting, so can't really comment on quality etc. I know there is thread on here somewhere about the menabo winny

I think though for short and quick transport suspension type rack should be fine... but on the long road, there is no doubt

I agree, I have both. For a short trip to the bike park or local I use the suspension rack. It is light and quick to fit. For long trips and where I have more than one bike I always use the platform rack. The bike is stable, can not come off and it is lockable.

Now here's a thing. I have a Thule suspension rack. Cost about R1600. Never had a problem. My mate bought that new REALLY expensive rack from Thule (the folding one that looks really cool for R9000) and all he wants to do is swap with me because mine is so quick and easy to use!

My dad has both and the platform is def much nicer.

When transporting multiple bikes especially as some bikes (like an XS 29", or any fullsuss really) struggle to sit nicely together when you try hang them.

Holdfast have the bike spacer thingy which also locks the bike to the suspension rack. No movement and very happy with mine.

Anyone made their own platform carrier?

Ja, welded a frame that slides into a bolt-on metal that goes behind ball of tow hitch. Purchased 4 Thule Pro-rides slowly slowly on the hub. Very heavy, but its for a mates Landy for a Zim tour. Will take 4 29rs without swearing and stuffing around trying to fit pedals between frames and seats over handlebars.

Now here's a thing. I have a Thule suspension rack. Cost about R1600. Never had a problem. My mate bought that new REALLY expensive rack from Thule (the folding one that looks really cool for R9000) and all he wants to do is swap with me because mine is so quick and easy to use!

Go for it...the expensive one is easier

Go with a platform. The potential cost of damage to car alone will justify the extra cost. Also consider access to your boot and also bike security. It actually takes less time to load your bike onto a platform than on the others. No stretchies etc. that also damage your bike's paintwork. I've had both and will never go back to hanging racks.

I've had the Buzzrack 3 for 6 months. No worries whatsoever. Fits a AM, a DH bike and a small HT. Great value for money, picked it up at Sportsmans Warehouse for 2799. You may need to remove pedals on the middle bike to fit three, but I think that is so for many platform racks that fit more than 2 bikes.

Also, since you use small tiedowns on the wheels and frame, there is next to no damage to the bike from the rack, as apposed to a hanging rack.

Edited by pierre-alweer

In the process of making a 3 bike platform rack.

Adjustable sideways to allow adjustment when bars and seats interfere.

Will add pics tomorrow, can't seem to do that on my phone.

Edited by quintonb

post-7427-0-47047500-1377103369_thumb.jpgpost-7427-0-36415800-1377103388_thumb.jpg

Yes, a couple. Very simple actually, And inexpensive.

Edited by johannrissik