[Resolved] THULE / Epic Failure/Disgusted

awesme

So I bought a Thule EuroWay G2 923 from a Cyclelab (Authorised dealer) on Tuesday, had some problems with the rear lights, they did not work/match my car, so had the car toe point checked by Bosal (they fitted it) and confirmed it's all working fine/wired to SABS standards etc.

Phoned a Thule dealer (Boksberg) on Friday morning, told since it was not bought from him, but Cyclelab (according to hime, Thule SA and Cyclelab both buy their stock from the same importer) I have to return to the bike shop, since this was electrical I though I'd rather have a Thule agent fix it than expect the Cyclelab to have to resolve the problem so went to another Thule dealer (Ceedar) this morning, again confirmed the problem, but got told they don't have stock, I then suggested we just swop out the light units/bar with another unit's that they have in stock, hmm, no go, no interest to help further, (at this point the techie helping me disappeared and maybe a manager returned with a phone to his ear, on the phone with Cyclelab) then got told I have to take the unit back to the Cyclelab, basically not their problem since it was not bought from them.

I bought Thule for the name, for the backup/support. Epic failure.

Ye I went to the bike shop, and the guys there went out of their way to resolve the problem, they also did not have the same unit, but they were happy to swop the lights out from a 921.

Making me wonder if I will ever buy Thule again.

G

Update: See this post for details of the response from Thule SA in addressing this issue

Edited by Admin
Added link to resolution

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, just to confirm.

You bought it from one shop and tried to return it to another one based on the fact that the product comes from the same importer. They suggest you go back to where you bought it.

So you take your chances with a second shop and get the same response. Not satisfied you suggest to the guys who you did not buy the rack from, to strip down a new unit to replace your defective part to which they reply, no.

Now Thule is an epic fail and you question your brand choice?

So if I buy a carrot from Woolworths and it has a worm in it, I should complain because PnP wont' take it back because the carrot comes from the same farm?

Was it a tough week?

I phoned Cyclelab and we agreed since this was a electrical problem that Thule prob best to resolve, I was told that all I'd need to do is proceed to Ceedar square and take my invoice along.

My view, importer has nothing to do with this, This is a Thule product, Thule should service/support it with no question,

Analogy, Audi is brought in by Audi SA, and then sold by Audi dealerships, are you aware that the Audi dealerships actually belong to either Barloworld or Mcdulings. Have you ever heard of a Audi dealer saying well this was bought from Barloworld, we're part of Mcdulings, take it back to the other dealer, no. They are expected to support the Audi product, as a Audi dealer, if it meant they had to replace something, then they take it up with Audi, the importer,

Same here, The Thule shop should support the product, as a licensed dealer, if they had to replace something, then take that up with their supplier, this should be part of the dealer agreement.

I was gonna be down the road from Boksberg branch, so plan was to pop in there, simple, got told no interest, After speaking to Cyclelab and they said just pop into Ceedar square (got the impression they had a arrangement if they had problems with Thule units that they refer clients there, since I was told to take by Cyclelab invoice along)

G

OK, just to confirm.

You bought it from one shop and tried to return it to another one based on the fact that the product comes from the same importer. They suggest you go back to where you bought it.

So you take your chances with a second shop and get the same response. Not satisfied you suggest to the guys who you did not buy the rack from, to strip down a new unit to replace your defective part to which they reply, no.

Now Thule is an epic fail and you question your brand choice?

So if I buy a carrot from Woolworths and it has a worm in it, I should complain because PnP wont' take it back because the carrot comes from the same farm?

Was it a tough week?

Hi Warren

I also love their product, also previously had awesome service from Boksberg since I bought my roof racks from there, and was referred there by a friend that does loads of business with them.

Which made it even a bigger surprise re the response.

G

I had brilliant service from Thule Boksburg. And I do love my Thule carrier. I hope you get it sorted out. Their products are great

My view is, things can't be improved, corrected it problems are not high lighted, we as South Africans accept sub standard service far to often, we walk away and say ag what, will go to another shop to often,

If this was Europe, considering this was this morning, by now the Branch would have gotten a call by a Thule Sales/Marketing manager by now to have them explain them self for bringing the brand name in a bad light,

SA, ag what, water of the ducks back, lets continue.

G

Hi

I hav to agree to pain here..had u gone1 level up on the supply chain to the importer your request to swap may have some merits, but you're dealing with 2 retailers who in fact are in opposition for business albeit selling the same products...these stores were kind enough to check what the fault was if small enough to resolve for you then realising it required some electrical hardware suggested you return to store you purchased. .they would have been perfectly within their rights to send you packing the minute you walked as the item was not theirs.

In my opinion you should thank them for great customer service not slate them so from me "a big up to Thule, going beyond the call of duty'

If I buy a new Audi from let's say Audi The Glen, and I have an electrical problem after a couple of days, I will take it back to them as I bought the car from them, even if I am in the Boksburg area at the time. The only time I will expect service from another dealer, is if I am in let's say Cape Town.

I also bought many deferent Thule racks from Boksburg and their service was always more than good.

Please explain, how/where did Thule go "beyond the call of duty" in their service.

When I walked in, I told them first thing I bought it from Cyclelab, they said no problem, then proceeded to check the lights, by having my set indicators on/off, stepping on brakes etc, the second they confirmed something wrong they turned, to "ag sorry not our problem to resolve"

If this was Cyclelab and Cyclehub and bike X, then'd say yes, they compete, but this was a standard retailer and a shop that acts as the brand, it's not shop A, it's shop, with a name Thule, as such they represent the name, the brand, their not a shop thats sells X Y Z and happen to also sell Thule products.

G

Hi

I hav to agree to pain here..had u gone1 level up on the supply chain to the importer your request to swap may have some merits, but you're dealing with 2 retailers who in fact are in opposition for business albeit selling the same products...these stores were kind enough to check what the fault was if small enough to resolve for you then realising it required some electrical hardware suggested you return to store you purchased. .they would have been perfectly within their rights to send you packing the minute you walked as the item was not theirs.

In my opinion you should thank them for great customer service not slate them so from me "a big up to Thule, going beyond the call of duty'

Valid point. Have you tried to connect Thule SA? Just so they are aware of the issue.

My view is, things can't be improved, corrected it problems are not high lighted, we as South Africans accept sub standard service far to often, we walk away and say ag what, will go to another shop to often,

If this was Europe, considering this was this morning, by now the Branch would have gotten a call by a Thule Sales/Marketing manager by now to have them explain them self for bringing the brand name in a bad light,

SA, ag what, water of the ducks back, lets continue.

G

Edited by Warren911

Thules shops really should have helped you, they are the certified agents of the brand and in their interest to help you - ie create brand awareness and value and maybe a future client, you'll see the value in buying Thule products from the Thule shop not cycle shop..

So I bought a Thule EuroWay G2 923 from a Cyclelab (Authorised dealer) on Tuesday, had some problems with the rear lights, they did not work/match my car, so had the car toe point checked by Bosal (they fitted it) and confirmed it's all working fine/wired to SABS standards etc.

Phoned a Thule dealer (Boksberg) on Friday morning, told since it was not bought from him, but Cyclelab (according to hime, Thule SA and Cyclelab both buy their stock from the same importer) I have to return to the bike shop, since this was electrical I though I'd rather have a Thule agent fix it than expect the Cyclelab to have to resolve the problem so went to another Thule dealer (Ceedar) this morning, again confirmed the problem, but got told they don't have stock, I then suggested we just swop out the light units/bar with another unit's that they have in stock, hmm, no go, no interest to help further, (at this point the techie helping me disappeared and maybe a manager returned with a phone to his ear, on the phone with Cyclelab) then got told I have to take the unit back to the Cyclelab, basically not their problem since it was not bought from them.

I bought Thule for the name, for the backup/support. Epic failure.

Ye I went to the bike shop, and the guys there went out of their way to resolve the problem, they also did not have the same unit, but they were happy to swop the lights out from a 921.

Making me wonder if I will ever buy Thule again.

G

Haven't read the entire thread, but just a note that I bought a BuzzRack 3 bike platform a couple of yrs ago and it's magic. Cost R4500. The equivalent Thuli costs R6500 and I've seen them side by side, identical.

I am a big fan of Thule Boksburg and Woodmead.

William (Woodmead) always make time to chat.

Boksburg is closer - great service ..... and products