Shimano cassette lockring washer/spacer

Mojoman

On my new bike there seems to be a bit of an issue when running the chain on the smallest cog at the back (11T). Occasionally the chain will catch and act as though it wants to shift (hops about). I have taken the same cog from another (pretty new) cassette and it does the same.

And if you backpedal the chain skips and jumps around and feels as though it wants to catch on the next gear (this only happens when on the 11T cog). I see the only difference on this cassette compared to my old one is that there is a very thin washer/spacer that fits onto the lock ring.

Should I take this off? Is this now 'forcing' the 11T cog tight up against its neighbour and could this be causing the catching effect? Neither my SRAM cassette nor my Deore cassette had this space on the lockring and I am not sure where its supposed to go?

The bike is new with only 100km on it so I cant see it being related to wear and it only happens on the small cog, all the others are 100% when shifting and when under load.

Definitely derailer issue. New bike, the cable may have stretched slightly. Mine did the same thing and just used the inline adjuster to align it properly. Works perfectly. Check it every time I clean and service the bike. Does take some dexterity to find the sweet spot but once you known how it's really really one of the easiest things to do.

I have taken off the spacer from the lockring (cassette seems tight anyway?), the cable is loose and the derailer (to me anyway) seems to be set ok.

I will see how it behaves later but its still catchy when back peddling.

post-12678-0-13835200-1378801159_thumb.jpg

Your problem could also be the lockting that holds the cluster (the one lying on table in photograph). Especially with an 11 teeth sprocket - if the lockring is too big the chain don't sit properly on the sprocket.

Your problem could also be the lockting that holds the cluster (the one lying on table in photograph). Especially with an 11 teeth sprocket - if the lockring is too big the chain don't sit properly on the sprocket.

Its what I assume the HG81 shipped with? I might try another lockring then if the problem persists on todays ride.

Edited by Mojoman

On my new bike there seems to be a bit of an issue when running the chain on the smallest cog at the back (11T). Occasionally the chain will catch and act as though it wants to shift (hops about). I have taken the same cog from another (pretty new) cassette and it does the same.

And if you backpedal the chain skips and jumps around and feels as though it wants to catch on the next gear (this only happens when on the 11T cog). I see the only difference on this cassette compared to my old one is that there is a very thin washer/spacer that fits onto the lock ring.

Should I take this off? Is this now 'forcing' the 11T cog tight up against its neighbour and could this be causing the catching effect? Neither my SRAM cassette nor my Deore cassette had this space on the lockring and I am not sure where its supposed to go?

The bike is new with only 100km on it so I cant see it being related to wear and it only happens on the small cog, all the others are 100% when shifting and when under load.

I often used to grind lock rings in a bench grinder to get enough chain clearance when running 11 T sprockets at the rear. The silver washer can also get in the wya of the chain side plates and cause irregular jumping.

Simply fit the cassette with the lock ring in place and check how much clearance there is between the chain and the lock ring when on the 11T cog. undo and grind a bit off until it clears. 2 minutes worth of work and problem solved.

Google rear deraileur adjustment on Youtube....follow the steps and you will be fine.

If this is a 'new' bike, as stated in the first post, bought from a bike shop why not just get them to sort it out? Should the kinds of 'grinding' and so on be an option on something like that .... :whistling:

If this is a 'new' bike, as stated in the first post, bought from a bike shop why not just get them to sort it out? Should the kinds of 'grinding' and so on be an option on something like that .... :whistling:

If its no better after faffing around I will take it through, LBS is almost 50km away so I will try and fix it myself if possible.

I just wondered if it wasnt a manufacturing fault with the cassette as my old bike did not have these issues and it was also 10 speed.

As stated it is most likely the derailleur not being aligned with the 11 tooth sprocket properly. If it's not dropping down, loosen the bottoming screw until it drops and sits nicely without jumping.

However, it could also be the wrong lockring being installed. I have had it where the lockring from a different cassette has been fitted, usually a 12 tooth lockring on an 11 tooth sprocket which results in the chain not dropping down and 12>11. Have also seen it with an Ultegra cassette trying to use a DuraAce locking (as the latter is shinier).

Are you running any spacers on the hub behind the casette- might be that the spacing on the different types of casettes (Sram, Deore, etc) are different. The hubs might also be different (8, 9 or 10spd). On my 8spd hub I ussually have to fit 2 spacers in behind the casette in order for the casette to tighten properly, in comparison with my 10spd hub which only requires one spacer.

As stated it is most likely the derailleur not being aligned with the 11 tooth sprocket properly. If it's not dropping down, loosen the bottoming screw until it drops and sits nicely without jumping.

However, it could also be the wrong lockring being installed. I have had it where the lockring from a different cassette has been fitted, usually a 12 tooth lockring on an 11 tooth sprocket which results in the chain not dropping down and 12>11. Have also seen it with an Ultegra cassette trying to use a DuraAce locking (as the latter is shinier).

I have just read this and double checked my lockring, its for a 11T.