Dumbing trails down

PhilipV

Got sent this link.

http://betterride.net/blog/2013/what-is-it-with-some-mountain-bike-riders-today/

I actually agree with this guy. And Betterride have the backing to make a post like this.

I like the new style of building in Jonkers where the bigger doubles are not part of the mainline, but branches off so that you jhave to make a conscious decision to take the gap jump.

A sad example of trails being dumbed down is Majik Forest in bellville, there used to be lekker rough and scary sections. But Alas...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ride at Rietvlei up in JHB, as the trails erode and more rocks are exposed the more they get yanked out.

TRails are graded by colour for skill level, if the trail is green and you cant ride it, ride yellow until you can. Dont make my green trail yellow....

Makes me mad.

Read that last night as well and completely agree. If you can't ride it, get off until you can. It's safer for you and it will give you an incentive to get better.

@ the nerd.

I ride Rietvlei, not often, but 2-3 times every couple of months. Yesterday was my first time back in a while and I decided to put my flat pedals on for a change. To put it simple, I got my ass kicked by those rocks on the blue trails. What I could've ridden with my clip-ins a while ago, seemed near impossible yesterday. Now this is NOT the trails fault. It's a eye opener to actually see what your skills are really sitting at. I will say that it did become unpleasant after a while, but I can whine or get on and do another round.

If people feel the need to flatten these surfaces out, then they should really start somewhere that challenges their own skills, not ruin it for others because of their own technical inability.

Listening to people at the Worlds that just past, there seems to be a lack of technical focus in our country as we are more marathon orientated.

Even in Johannesburg we have major technical routes, so there really is no excuse to not get on your bike and give it a go.Yes, it will get frustrating and your average speed will be 10km/h, but what does it matter. You will come back next time and clean that section and be mega proud, and be able to apply that to your next blindingly fast marathon when there's a bit of a rocky section.

Not everyone is hard as nails, but then there are psychos out there as well, so each to their own and let the trail dictate where you fit into that spectrum. Don't go cut out roots because it upsets you.

Ride faster fall harder. :)

I ride at Rietvlei up in JHB, as the trails erode and more rocks are exposed the more they get yanked out.

TRails are graded by colour for skill level, if the trail is green and you cant ride it, ride yellow until you can. Dont make my green trail yellow....

Makes me mad.

I wound Wendell up the one day when I said "You've taken out some rocks & roots - Pretty soon I'm gonna have to use my road bike"

Needless to say - He wasn't impressed.

I wound Wendell up the one day when I said "You've taken out some rocks & roots - Pretty soon I'm gonna have to use my road bike"

Needless to say - He wasn't impressed.

Its getting ultra flat there, thats why i ride at Thaba...

Makes me mad.

And dont make my blue your green :ph34r:

That's the Black route :thumbup: :thumbup:

Still struggling with the one climb with the 2 big rocks (luckily these are too big for anyone to dumb down :thumbup: ) in the middle, just cant get the pedal timing / cadence right to make it through.

Got sent this link.

http://betterride.ne...e-riders-today/

I actually agree with this guy. And Betterride have the backing to make a post like this.

I like the new style of building in Jonkers where the bigger doubles are not part of the mainline, but branches off so that you jhave to make a conscious decision to take the gap jump.

A sad example of trails being dumbed down is Majik Forest in bellville, there used to be lekker rough and scary sections. But Alas...

And Eden - the top trail past The G Spot and towards The Widow Maker is now an Oak Valley-like ride. The two rock gardens have been derocked and are now more like bowling greens.

I'm not into big gap jumps and all that, but good technical riding is a skill everyone should learn. And if I find the w**kers that insist on dragging their back wheels around every corner, in the process destroying the trails, I'm going introduce them to that giraffe that doesn't like back wheels....

Still struggling with the one climb with the 2 big rocks (luckily these are too big for anyone to dumb down :thumbup: ) in the middle, just cant get the pedal timing / cadence right to make it through.

I have ridden that section plenty.

I think it's only 2-3 times that I've managed to ride the entire route without putting a foot down.

It's an awesome place to 'play'...

It's not Wendell u need to confront, it's Dave. He's in charge of trail maintenance. I too disagree with dumbing down and flattening tricky bits of trail. What I do agree with is maintaining the trail and keeping it rideable. The entrance to the Japanese Garden is a nightmare and doesn't flow at all. It's almost impossible to get through the rocks AND the stupidly designed corners they're in the middle of. It was a *** idea making it the way it is now. The old entrance was better. Also the 1st blue section along the river has deteriorated quite a bit and needs some filling between the rocks.

It's not Wendell u need to confront, it's Dave. He's in charge of trail maintenance. I too disagree with dumbing down and flattening tricky bits of trail. What I do agree with is maintaining the trail and keeping it rideable. The entrance to the Japanese Garden is a nightmare and doesn't flow at all. It's almost impossible to get through the rocks AND the stupidly designed corners they're in the middle of. It was a *** idea making it the way it is now. The old entrance was better. Also the 1st blue section along the river has deteriorated quite a bit and needs some filling between the rocks.

All i see at rietvlei sadly is dumbing down, and very little maintainance. Those trails look well manicured as they are ridden so often, the blue and black bits are mainly bush (which is awesome) i ride Wendells revenge most times i go there and those trails are definitly not maintained but i kinda like it like that. It is mounain biking after all.

Japanese Garden: Try it again with the 'Ball and keep to the left (yes, over the big rock), gives you a nice line into the corner rather than trying to "zig-zag" around the rocks before the first bend.

"1st blue section along the river" - you talking about Vomit Valley? This is a tough one, the first "obstacle" is tough, probably get it right 4 out of 10 times, that whole section has taken a beating this winter, hopfully some rain will help it