Got hit by taxi

P.A.K.

Some progres: The owner (not driver) of the taxi phoned me yesterday and informed me that he has spoken to his broker and told them the matter is urgent. They will send an assessor as soon as possible.

So I'm positive that we will see his insurance doing their part.

Edited by P.A.K.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some progres: The owner (not driver) of the taxi phoned me yesterday and informed me that he has spoken to his broker and told them the matter is urgent. They will send an assessor as soon as possible.

So I'm positive that we will see his insurance doing their part.

You will probably get a new bike!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So a month later and I still haven't heard anything from the owner's insurers. I phone the owner weekly, each time he says he'll get the assessor to come see my bike that week. Never happens.

What do I stand to do?

I have been hooked up with a bike in the meantime, but I want my bike fixed and I feel this guy needs to take some responsibility <_<

Edited by P.A.K.

Sho tough one ... do you have your own insurance? Or some other means of getting legal opinion / representation on it?

So a month later and I still haven't heard anything from the owner's insurers. I phone the owner weekly, each time he says he'll get the assessor to come see my bike that week. Never happens.

What do I stand to do?

I have been hooked up with a bike in the meantime, but I want my bike fixed and I feel this guy needs to take some responsibility <_<

Good luck with that. You'll be chasing him for a long time I reckon.

I do hope I'm wrong and they do the right thing.

Edited by sk27

if he actually has insurance, can't you get the broker / assessor details from the owner and offer him to handle the admin for him?

Guest DieBees

Forgive my critical eye, but I dont see any lights or reflectors on your bike and in the pitcure it seems to be quite dark still...

Happy you are okay, but how was your visibility? And could this have been avoided by being more visible?

What do I stand to do?

Your insurance, case no., driver's details, owner's details that's what you pay insurance for. You shouldn't be doing the legwork.

Your insurance, case no., driver's details, owner's details that's what you pay insurance for. You shouldn't be doing the legwork.

By the sounds of it P.A.K doesn't have insurance and is trying to get the taxi owners insurance to pay up.

Take the taxi owner to the small claims court, bit of a mission but that might help you get the money out of him.

Guest DieBees

By the sounds of it P.A.K doesn't have insurance and is trying to get the taxi owners insurance to pay up.

Take the taxi owner to the small claims court, bit of a mission but that might help you get the money out of him.

If it is not too late you might even come right with claiming from third party I think the road accident fund.

Sorry, I think that is only for personal injury and not damage...

Edited by DieBees

While practicing in the morning before work a taxi literally drove me off my bike.

He was driving at a moerse speed and wanted to turn left into the street I was riding in. He was too fast to make his turn so he hit my bike in the opposite lane. He came to a standstill after crashing into a wall.

It happened extremely fast and I have no idea how I managed to not get hit. I don't know how I got off my bike, but it was like I kept standing on the tar the whole time. One moment I saw the headlights, next I'm standing next to my bike and the taxi has passed me.

I thank God that I only have a bruised knee. I'm guessing my bikes top tube hit my inner leg, and the handlebars swung round to hit my outer leg.

If I think of what could've happened, I have actually gotten off very well. A 30cm difference could've meant severe injuries.

My bike will cost at least R5K and I simply don't have that cash right now. But not being able to ride is a small price to pay in comparison

Only saw this post now, I think I know exactly were this is. I live 100m from this. Is it in Fhp?

Only saw this post now, I think I know exactly were this is. I live 100m from this. Is it in Fhp?

Yip, Schlenhage Crescent, where the owner also lives

If it is not too late you might even come right with claiming from third party I think the road accident fund.

Sorry, I think that is only for personal injury and not damage...

Unfortunately that is only for injuries yes. So glad on I dont need to claim for that :clap: