AA -The Avid Appreciation society

PhilipV

My experience.........

At the K2C going down the second decent, very fast wide road, I was bombin it down, I love my downhills, and obviously doing some serious braking,

Just at the bottom as you go over the concrete strip (usually has a stream of water over it) and start to climb, I thought my legs were ceasing up, turne out my brakes had cooked, forcing the pads against the discs,

This is a first for me,

I have only ever ridden with SRAM so I have nothing to compare to but I was very disappointed.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have XTR, XO, Elixer 5 and previously Juicy brakes. My wife has XT...

I prefer the Shimano units by a long run!

i have had pair of used juicy ultimates on my trail bike for two years or so now.

I have never had to bleed them

They have never squealed in wet / dry

Personally i find they have a much more progressive feel than the shimano's (slx)i have on my steel hardtail .

Maybe its just me, but i feel like i can control the amount of force through the calipers much better than with the shimano's. light one finger ease of use from lightly scrubbing off speed before a turn to locking up the tyre when you need it.

From what i have read , the majority of "avid issues" seem to be with the cheaper elixirs etc...

Perhaps im just a sram slut - but i really dig my avids.

i have had pair of used juicy ultimates on my trail bike for two years or so now.

I have never had to bleed them

They have never squealed in wet / dry

Personally i find they have a much more progressive feel than the shimano's (slx)i have on my steel hardtail .

Maybe its just me, but i feel like i can control the amount of force through the calipers much better than with the shimano's. light one finger ease of use from lightly scrubbing off speed before a turn to locking up the tyre when you need it.

From what i have read , the majority of "avid issues" seem to be with the cheaper elixirs etc...

Perhaps im just a sram slut - but i really dig my avids.

Was thinking that yesterday riding and using my Avid Codes!

Feels a lot like motorcycle brakes...

My only motorbike I had was running on rather suspect brakes, so I can't comment fairly :ph34r:

Maybe you want the calipers too?

Yep. Them too. But I thought posting the X0 calipers would be a bit suspect, given that the x9's come with x9 calipers...

Still. Same caliper, just a different lever!

Can anyone tell me where to get seal kits (lever and caliper) for Juicy Three's.

It doesn't really matter where in the country as they'll need to be posted anyway.

Thanks.

A friend wants to know.......... ;)

I absolutely frikken hate my Avid Elixers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sell them. Buy some shimano.

I'm sure someone here will buy them, sort them out and have many smile-filled miles.

And you'll get shimanos, and get brakes that you can live with. Won't be as strong as a set of avids, but your's mos never worked properly, so you won't even know what you are missing.

Win-Win.

Sell them. Buy some shimano.

I'm sure someone here will buy them, sort them out and have many smile-filled miles.

And you'll get shimanos, and get brakes that you can live with. Won't be as strong as a set of avids, but your's mos never worked properly, so you won't even know what you are missing.

Win-Win.

You want to buy them?

Archived